Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Whats the easiest way to see where these park runs are on? I've found the website not all that user friendly
    here is a map with the parkrun 5k events all listed -
    https://www.parkrun.ie/events/events/
    Agreed it renders poorly on mobile devices - there are a number of "unofficial" parkrun map sites including the parkrun tourist tool and this site which is probably more new parkrunner user-friendly - https://parkrun-map.com/
    If you'd like to share your general location I'm sure there would be a few runners on here that could let you know your nearest parkrun.

Amigaman wrote: »
    here is a map with the parkrun 5k events all listed -
    https://www.parkrun.ie/events/events/
    Agreed it renders poorly on mobile devices - there are a number of "unofficial" parkrun map sites including the parkrun tourist tool and this site which is probably more new parkrunner user-friendly - https://parkrun-map.com/
    If you'd like to share your general location I'm sure there would be a few runners on here that could let you know your nearest parkrun.

I'm based in donnybrook so sometimes do the poolbeg parkrun. I'd be interested in finding more or some at other times over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

Can anyone recommend a good Parkrun in and around Belfast, I'll be up there next month.

I'm looking for either nice and scenic (woods, lakes and the like) OR one that has pacers, as I'm looking to go sub-25.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I'm based in donnybrook so sometimes do the poolbeg parkrun. I'd be interested in finding more or some at other times over the weekend.

You have a choice on the Southside of Marlay, Cabinteely, Bushy, Brickfields, Shanganagh.

All adult parkrun is Saturday morning 9:30. The exception is Christmas and NYD. NYD is the only day you can run two parkruns and get a result.

Junior parkrun is Sunday morning 9:30 for 4-14 year olds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Good jib! wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good Parkrun in and around Belfast, I'll be up there next month.

I'm looking for either nice and scenic (woods, lakes and the like) OR one that has pacers, as I'm looking to go sub-25.

Well you're spoiled for choice in Belfast...

Ormeau - biggest in NI generally, nice wooded park, 2 lapper, reasonably flat
    Orangefield - woody park in E belfast, a bit hillier. V friendly, particularly the Beardy marshall ;)
    Victoria - in the shadow of H&W cranes, fast and flat. PB territory
    Stormont - in the grounds of the Stormont estate, mix of wooded trail and paths
    Waterworks - oldest parkrun in Ireland, laps of 2 lakes in N Belfast, nice view of the Belfast Hills. Has pacers once a month iirc
    Colin Glen - wooded park on the fringes of W Belfast, BIG hill
    Queens - in the grounds of the Queens Uni sports facilities in S Belfast - uppy downy round the pitches
    Stranmillis - handy for the city centre, around the grounds of Stranmillis college, a bit hilly, car traffic often on the course
    Falls - have yet to do that one so can't say much about it. W Belfast, reknowned as hilly one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

8 of us from Westport parkrun did Leamington Spa in Warwickshire last weekend. A return visit after their core team did Westport in February. Excellent event, highly recommended. The welcome was second to none. Irish flags, tricolour bunting and balloons. The mayor made a speech to welcome us! Then we all ran the 2 castles 10k on Sunday. Warwick Castle to Kenilworth castle, 4000 runners, tremendous support. We'll be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Moving to Sandyford in Dublin soon. Where would my nearest parkrun be?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Marlay or cabinteely I guess. Lots of other options closeby though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Was along to parkrun in North Beach Durban last Sat, 1999 participants. Always a big one there on Comrades weekend. Was really interested to see how they handle so many people - a really long finish funnel & then it splits to five scanners.

482625.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Oh, the website go a bit of a do over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Oh, the website go a bit of a do over.

Is it just me or is it not as user friendly on mobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Is it just me or is it not as user friendly on mobile?

It's not. The Stat tables run off the page.
    I switched browser page setting to "desktop mode" on both phone and tablet. Format comes up much better

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's a long overdue tweak to the template for the website which finally makes the site work how it should have done 5 years ago on mobile. Now needs a bit of fixing and to get rid of a lot of the wall of text pages.

Some of the pages with tables on load correctly and format correctly for mobile, some let you scroll across, other pages don't. Other than figuring out which columns to minimise on the results page in mobile view they should be pretty simple fixes for whichever work experience kid they have in who ticked the box to update the templates to mobile compatible ones.

One of the nicest stories from the Comrades ultra last Sunday was the parkrun COO Tom Williams ran it with his dad Brian aged 72. They finished 15 mins inside the 12 hour cutoff.

482658.jpeg

Had to pleasure of meeting & congratulating them both on the beachfront the day after. Looking forward to listening to the story on the Marathon Talk Comrades special episode.

Third birthday for Ballincollig parkrun tomorrow (15th) and also the junior parkrun event there is kicking off on Sunday June 30th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Back to pancake flat Stretford tomorrow with the buggy - going to be a cross between running and open water swimming at this rate, it's literally only just stopped raining in Manchester!

Hubby is off to the opposite end of the hills scale at Whinlatter Forest in the Lake District with a carload of his tourist friends, can only imagine pushing the double buggy for that one... https://blog.parkrun.com/uk/2018/08/01/what-goes-up-must-come-down/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

Morning.
    Anyone know if Donabate still goes ahead in heavy rain ?

Edit: It's ok. Seems to be clearing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

Morning.
    Anyone know if Donabate still goes ahead in heavy rain ?

Edit: It's ok. Seems to be clearing up.

Rain won't halt a parkrun unless there's flooding on the course and it's unsafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Last minute decision, heading to Darndale this morning. I PM'd them and the course isn't flooded, planning to take it in as part of a long slow paced run this morning.

Anyone heading there and wanna say HI I've leg tattoo's on both legs :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Last minute decision, heading to Darndale this morning. I PM'd them and the course isn't flooded, planning to take it in as part of a long slow paced run this morning.

Anyone heading there and wanna say HI I've leg tattoo's on both legs :D

Not a bad course, horses are friendly haha!! Was there first time last week finished second @22:26. Very friendly people tea and coffee at the finish

Goinng to my local today at griffeen for the 6th birthday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

py wrote: »
    Rain won't halt a parkrun unless there's flooding on the course and it's unsafe.

Cheers.
    Turned out to be a gorgeous morning!
    Great crowd at Donabate.
    Really enjoyed that run.
    Feelin' good...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Wottle

robinph wrote: »
    It's a long overdue tweak to the template for the website which finally makes the site work how it should have done 5 years ago on mobile. Now needs a bit of fixing and to get rid of a lot of the wall of text pages.

Some of the pages with tables on load correctly and format correctly for mobile, some let you scroll across, other pages don't. Other than figuring out which columns to minimise on the results page in mobile view they should be pretty simple fixes for whichever work experience kid they have in who ticked the box to update the templates to mobile compatible ones.

Sooner they tweak the better, results page from marlay looks awful on the mobile

sonyvision wrote: »
    Not a bad course, horses are friendly haha!! Was there first time last week finished second @22:26. Very friendly people tea and coffee at the finish

Goinng to my local today at griffeen for the 6th birthday!

Done it.

The RD was a really lovely lady, an inspiration in fact. She's not a runner but set up parkrun for the community, she's also the treasurer of the football club down there and the driving force behind just about anything good in the area.

One of those people who brighten up the rest of your day.

Some good points, a lovely RD, changing rooms and tea, coffee & biscuits before and after. Oh, and water at the finish line.

I was fitting the run in as part of my weekend long run, but I judged the distance from my house wrong and arrived there too early (sweating and no change of clothes) so had to wait around, but I was offered shelter and tea or coffee.

I got my slowest parkrun of the year, but then I had intended not to go out fast because I'd another few km to run afterwards however I ran way too slow.

No horses or scrambler, but lots of puddles and the third time hitting the hill wasn't nice lol.

I wouldn't return for the park itself, but I'd certainly go back for the few people who were there.

Anyone concerned about security, don't be. The finish line is right where people parked and if you're a cyclist there's railings or changing rooms and even equipment rooms where you can secure your bike.

And tea & coffee in REAL cups :P

Given the facilities, ie changing rooms with showers, tea/coffee in abundance, a lovely RD & volunteers its a real pity the Darndale community isn't getting behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

My 18th parkrun today. Still just got under 30 minutes twice but nice feeling today when I came up level with a guy who was struggling a bit and had stopped to walk.
    I slowed and encouraged him to go again which he did. We chatted for a while and even though I left him to his own devices he finished and thanked me after the run. It was his second ever and first in 4 years.
    Someone did something similar for me on my first run so good to return the favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Not liking the new website. Th tables don’t look right without colour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

100th today, and a PB to boot. Thought I had missed it by a few seconds but actually knocked 5 sec off.
    three more volunteer days and that's another T-shirt too!

Its clichéd but Parkrun has been the catalyst for my whole wellbeing. 2 1/2 years ago I was over 30 min, and couldn't run the full 5k; now I've a few half marathons, and will be doing my first sprint tri in a few weeks.

So thanks to everyone who volunteers and made this possible for me; and if you haven't yet look out for the guy or girl in the yellow vest holding the clipboard next week :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Today in Griffeen for the 6th birthday. Wife got yet another PB. I got a cramp in my calf and had to walk the last 2k. So that sucked. David Gillick is taller and slimmer than he seems on TV, if that's possible.

I guess I'll be volunteering next week.

Double buggy PB at Stretford yesterday - 28:54. First sub 29 with the boys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Today in Griffeen for the 6th birthday. Wife got yet another PB. I got a cramp in my calf and had to walk the last 2k. So that sucked. David Gillick is taller and slimmer than he seems on TV, if that's possible.

I guess I'll be volunteering next week.

5k is still 5k if you walked the last bit!! Are you volunteering? Had a great run in griffeen 22:16 and it was well supported! I am down to volunteer Saturday as I have a half on the Sunday. (Only my second time volunteering) not even sure what I am down to do!

Might see you there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

sonyvision wrote: »
    5k is still 5k if you walked the last bit!

Yeah, I know. But it was my slowest run (I've walked a couple).
    Are you volunteering? Might see you there :D

Sent off an email just there. I think I'll be marshalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Its parkrunday :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

My 18th parkrun today. Still just got under 30 minutes twice but nice feeling today when I came up level with a guy who was struggling a bit and had stopped to walk.
    I slowed and encouraged him to go again which he did. We chatted for a while and even though I left him to his own devices he finished and thanked me after the run. It was his second ever and first in 4 years.
    Someone did something similar for me on my first run so good to return the favour.

To me this is what Parkruns are all about, instead of the ego clowns that think it some sort of division 2 road race.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Nobelium wrote: »
    To me this is what Parkruns are all about, instead of the ego clowns that think it some sort of division 2 road race.

It is my 169th parkrun tomorrow and I have yet to come across an 'ego clown' tbf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It is my 169th parkrun tomorrow and I have yet to come across an 'ego clown' tbf

Well announcing the number of runs you've done (I've done more, but don't brag about it tbf), would suggest you have but failed to see it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Not bragging but ok.

Wish I hadn't had 5 beers tonight. Parkrun tomorrow (or later today eek) is not gonna be fun. Abandoning the PB plan anyways :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

Parkrun is whatever an individual wants it to be. They can walk, jog, run or race and that is what Parkrun is to some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Narin Beach inaugural for us. Look forward to having another Donegal parkrun to choose from.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Not bragging but ok.

Wish I hadn't had 5 beers tonight. Parkrun tomorrow (or later today eek) is not gonna be fun. Abandoning the PB plan anyways :pac:

Sweat out the drink! :D

Sweat out the drink! :D

Done :)
    Not my fastest ever and I can't say it was enjoyable but feeling much better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Only discovered parkrun this year, have ran abit for years, had only 4 done (and 2 volunteer) and picked up a knee niggle, which unfortunately turned out to be a degen permanent niggle.

Wish I'd never discovered it now, miss it. Still follow all the pages but going to stop as it's disheartening.

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig, same situation here both last night and this morning!.

I had a rotten hangover.

Went to Poppintree and was on for a PB until 4km when last nights meal, drinks and this mornings breakfast decided it was time to fertilize Poppintree Park and I had to stop :(

Thankfully it didn't happen but that's my first parkrun stoppage.

Stopped very briefly but it was enough to not get the PB I was looking good for.

Poppintree is quickly becoming another favorite of mine alongside St.Annes and Malahide Castle. Its a fantastic parkrun and a beautiful park with two fabulous ponds, well worth a visit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Toughest parkrun with a buggy today. Off camber rutted trail paths up steep hills and very steep and slippery downhills on grass.

The passenger loved it, me not so much. Was a fantastic course, just not in the slightest way easy with a buggy. Think I'll save a return visit for when the passenger decides to eventually make use of their barcode.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Bravestaar

Poppintree is quickly becoming another favorite of mine alongside St.Annes and Malahide Castle. Its a fantastic parkrun and a beautiful park with two fabulous ponds, well worth a visit.

Agreed. Poppintree is lovely.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Narin Beach inaugural for us. Look forward to having another Donegal parkrun to choose from.

How was it ? Tough?

Christ. If people want to run it fast they are entitled to. Nobody that I have ever seen treats it as a race. For myself when I am leading up to trying to get a pb in a 10km or similar, I use my parkrun times as a guide to see how well I am doing. The only person I race against is myself. I have never seen one of these so called ego clowns & I have been at over 100 parkruns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

I did Sligo this morning for the first time. It was lovely and really tough. I felt it was one of the hardest ones that I have done (not that I am complaining).

The volunteers, as they are everywhere, were fantastic. The cup of tea at the end really hit the spot. And who wouldn't want cake for breakfast ?

We were really made to feel welcome. We will definitely be back again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

robinph wrote: »
    Toughest parkrun with a buggy today. Off camber rutted trail paths up steep hills and very steep and slippery downhills on grass.

Where did you go? It sounds hard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Bravestaar wrote: »
    How was it ? Tough?

Beautiful setting. Lovely beach. Tide was in so sand a bit soft in places. Slight issue with course length too but I’m sure it will be sorted out in jig time!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Beautiful setting. Lovely beach. Tide was in so sand a bit soft in places. Slight issue with course length too but I’m sure it will be sorted out in jig time!

I'll try to get to it in a few weeks. It's a bit of a trek from Meath!

• Advertisement

Where did you go? It sounds hard!

It was Tetbury Goods Shed and is along an old railway path. Its a great course and great cafe and mostly flat, but the hilly off road bit was incredibly tricky. Railway track courses are usually my favourite.

The kid loved going "weeeee" on the downhill though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement