Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

L1011 wrote: »
    One matchday at inflated prices would cover the cost of the fitout.

The interior was disgusting and the toilets worse in the Behan incarnation.

Did either incarnation do much business? I used to go to school round the corner and the thing i remember most about that pub was the smell as you passed it.

A bloke in my class from the area said some guy got shot for running his mouth in the place (1987 or so).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Did either incarnation do much business? I used to go to school round the corner and the thing i remember most about that pub was the smell as you passed it.

A bloke in my class from the area said some guy got shot for running his mouth in the place (1987 or so).

Fairly sure somebody got shot a lot more recently than that? About 2 years ago?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

MOH wrote: »
    Fairly sure somebody got shot a lot more recently than that? About 2 years ago?
    https://www.thejournal.ie/sunset-house-shooting-3711478-Nov2017/

Sunset House is back up for rent, and this time it has actually been refurbished. When the Gannon's had it, it had a badly done lick of paint and was still a wreck https://www.daft.ie/dublin/commercial-property-for-rent/restaurant-hotel-bar-for-rent/summerhil-pde-north-circular-road-dublin-796369
    Is the rent on that not very expensive? Or is that just due to it being Dublin 1. Looks fairly small. 4 years nine months lease seems fairly long also or is that actually standard like it says. The Behan wasn't there that long.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Average pub rent has been over 1k/week for a while now - have daft alerts for two or three years anyway. It is on the small side, though, so I would also think its a bit dear. Lease length would be normal enough.

• Advertisement

Average pub rent has been over 1k/week for a while now - have daft alerts for two or three years anyway. It is on the small side, though, so I would also think its a bit dear. Lease length would be normal enough.
    If the business fails and pub closes, can you just forego the lease without any penalty or do you have to continue to pay it for the full 4 years 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

GAA Beo wrote: »
    If the business fails and pub closes, can you just forego the lease without any penalty or do you have to continue to pay it for the full 4 years 9 months.

You get shot! :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the lease is to a Ltd company which fails, and there are no personal guarantees in place, there's not much else the landlord can do than re-take possession and try lease it out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

There is the remnants of a building on Townsend Street, across from the Windjammer pub.

There is hoarding and a sold sign up on a small plot.

I think I remember The Countess Bar being up on the building in the past as well.

It was probably a complete kip.

Does anyone remember The Countess.

There's a Guinness or possibly Harp sign still on the Countess. Townsend Street has lost a significant number of pubs over the years; way beyond th the two recently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

imme wrote: »
    There is the remnants of a building on Townsend Street, across from the Windjammer pub.

I think I remember The Countess Bar being up on the building in the past as well.

Donovan's was the pub on the corner "Importer of fine wines"

473194.jpg
    There's a Guinness or possibly Harp sign still on the Countess. Townsend Street has lost a significant number of pubs over the years; way beyond th the two recently.

Both the Guinness and Harp signs are still there.

The seashell fish bar was in the middle it and Donovan's

I saw recently The Strand House has been re branded as "Time 2 Travel" Student lounge

Time2 are a Brazilian student travel agency, address for their Irish office has changed to the Strand House address so I don't know if it's operating as a public house still. A former colleague has a Brazilian wife so I'll ask her to figure out!

Student union bars don't need publicans licences - club registration covers those as well as sports clubs and places like the Freemasons and Conservative Club that also have bars, wonder did they not realise that

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

imme wrote: »

It was the Countess, was walking past one morning and someone has pulled the shutter up a bit. So I had a look, bar and fixtures etc still there but it was a total ruin

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Wasn’t Donovan’s further up towards neds, now apartments and a centra there?

Used to drink there the odd Sunday, quite rough but good too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Wasn’t Donovan’s further up towards neds, now apartments and a centra there?

Used to drink there the odd Sunday, quite rough but good too

That was "Grace's" your thinking of

"Donovan's" was also known as "Ward's"

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Perhaps, yes bar was at opposite end of the entrance, think was wooden steps In the place

Owner often did lock-ins on a sun night and busy enough with the locals

Always thought it was Donovan’s but my memory is probably wrong

Planning has gone in to convert Stoneys on Hill Street to flats; except it has already been done. So that's not coming back

The former Bodhran/Waxie Dargle on Granby Row has been converted to offices also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

The Hill pub at the corner in Mount Pleasant, Ranelagh has announced its closure "with immediate effect". I wonder what's going on to spark such a sudden closure.
    “‪Due to circumstances beyond our control the Hill Pub has closed with immediate effect. We would like to thank all of our wonderful customers over the last few years, you have all been amazing,”

Popular Ranelagh pub, The Hill, announces sudden closure

The Hill Pub In Ranelagh Has Announced Its Closure “With Immediate Effect”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

According to the last link above, the Lord Mayor's pub in Swords, established in 1668 apparently, has also announced its closure in the past week:

350-Year-Old Dublin Pub Closes Its Doors

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

gaiscioch wrote: »
    According to the last link above, the Lord Mayor's pub in Swords, established in 1668 apparently, has also announced its closure in the past week:

350-Year-Old Dublin Pub Closes Its Doors

That place had a good name, very centrally located in Swords. Surprised. Maybe if younger more invigorated owners take over it could be made a success of again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

The Hill pub at the corner in Mount Pleasant, Ranelagh has announced its closure "with immediate effect". I wonder what's going on to spark such a sudden closure.

Bit sudden, but not entirely surprised. Had been going there reasonably often a couple of years ago, but it seemed to go downhill rapidly over the past year or so. They started refurbishing the Gents at one point and left it half finished for ages. A girl next to me at the bar one day complained that a ceiling tile had fallen on her in the Ladies, so that obviously wasn't much better. Another night an alarm of some sort kept randomly going off every few minutes, none of the staff seemed to know what it was.
    Plus could often try three or four taps before hitting one that they actually had in stock.

In the end I'd pretty much given up on it over the past 6 months. Looking back those might well have been signs of cash flow issues, something was definitely going wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Strumms wrote: »
    That place had a good name, very centrally located in Swords. Surprised. Maybe if younger more invigorated owners take over it could be made a success of again.

Surprised at that myself, especially with Swords being one of the fastest growing towns in Ireland with a young population and lots of well paid jobs from the airport and business parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Surprised at that myself, especially with Swords being one of the fastest growing towns in Ireland with a young population and lots of well paid jobs from the airport and business parks.

It's been on the cards for a while, wasn't a surprise. There's huge competition on Swords main street, at least ten pubs on that road alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

VW 1 wrote: »
    It's been on the cards for a while, wasn't a surprise. There's huge competition on Swords main street, at least ten pubs on that road alone.

Yeah Im not that familiar with the Lord Mayor, its at least 10 years since Ive been inside it. What happened, did their food offering go downhill? I know theres a bit of competition on the main street but Swords must be knocking a population of 40k+ at this stage with lots of people in their 20s, 30s with decent disposable incomes, there should be enough business to go around for all. Maybe high rents are curbing what people can spend even in a booming town like Swords?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭its_steve116

I was in Kielys of Donnybrook only once, and that one time I was there I met health minister Simon Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭trashcan

I was in Kielys of Donnybrook only once, and that one time I was there I met health minister Simon Harris.

I’m so sorry for your troubles !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah Im not that familiar with the Lord Mayor, its at least 10 years since Ive been inside it. What happened, did their food offering go downhill? I know theres a bit of competition on the main street but Swords must be knocking a population of 40k+ at this stage with lots of people in their 20s, 30s with decent disposable incomes, there should be enough business to go around for all. Maybe high rents are curbing what people can spend even in a booming town like Swords?

Rumour on the ground is that there will be some kind of building work taking place, possibly apartments. I don't think it was to do with a poorly performing business as it was almost always busy.

Wasn't that 'The General's' local?

Never got a good vibe from the place.

The General was long gone by then, but there used to be a marked Garda car stationed permanently outside a few years back. (This was around the same time as another Garda was permanently stationed outside McDowell's house, when he was Justice MInister)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

MOH wrote: »
    Bit sudden, but not entirely surprised. Had been going there reasonably often a couple of years ago, but it seemed to go downhill rapidly over the past year or so
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Sunday Times today says that The Dockers is reopening. Only closed for 15 years, sure you could just sweep the floor and change the kegs surely :pac:

This is after The Sackville reopening after 2.5 years closed two weeks ago; and the former Aungier House reopening last year after ~20 years.

Advertisement