Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fold bikes & commuting

Options
  • 02-04-2019 2:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Anything to watch out for when buying?

You've the expensive ones like Brompton and Tern that are anything from €500-1000 second and new. Out of my budget. I'll essentially be cycling 10 mins max to Broombridge/Ashtown to get the Luas or Train in mornings. Off at Harcourt for work, 3 min cycle. Then in the evenings max 10 min cycle again to Pearse to catch the train.

Been looking on DoneDeal.ie and Adverts.ie and came across a few used ones but I'm wary, any other points you feel would be important when buying?

- The time it takes to fold up the bike, if you're in a rush hopping onto Luas/train - does it take 10 seconds or 10 minutes?
    - Is it heavy and the size? if it's a ton or big and awkward you're going to be public enemy number 1 on the bus/luas/train.
    - Gears. I see there are single 3 speed and 6/7 speed geared ones. But the more gears the heavier it is apparently? I saw this https://www.adverts.ie/17630171

and this https://www.adverts.ie/17633658 and thought the 7 speed would be better, although it's 15kg approx.
    - I bought a second hand hybrid bike off of adverts.ie about 5/6 weeks ago when I started a job in the city. It was €150 so I don't think I'd want to go over this/€200 for the folding bike.

What I'm wondering is - why are these brompton's like this one so expensive? https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/brompton-fold-up-bike/17616925

This one looks like the best buy going on specs or the raleigh 7 spd? https://www.adverts.ie/17567474 or https://www.adverts.ie/17594215

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Folding time on any of them I've seen or used is more like 30 seconds to a minute. It's clip/unclip, fold, twist, lock, go. Not much to it.

Wouldn't worry too much about gears. Just adds to the weight and complexity. You're going to be hopping around the city, not doing a race.

Weight and size depends a lot on the make/model, and on how much you're willing to spend. Even looking at the links you posted you can see the more expensive options are the smaller and lighter looking ones. That Brompton folds down into a neat little package for €1,100, which is what you pay for really, whereas for <€300 it's kinda just a small bike folded in half.

I'd prioritise size and weight over most other things to be honest, particularly if you're doing that 10-mins then onto a train.

A lot of the bicycle shops in town have folding bikes in stock. You should go and have a look just to get an idea of what you're prepared to carry / cycle. Compare that then to whats on offer via adverts.ie etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Also, if you're working it'd be no harm to ask about a Cycle to Work scheme. Your work pays for the bike (tax deductible) and you pay back the price less the tax over a number of months.

https://www.biketowork.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

CBear1993 wrote: »

Weight and how small they fold. Are they decent quality, robust. Mudguards are a must in wet weather.

Been looking on DoneDeal.ie and Adverts.ie and came across a few used ones but I'm wary, any other points you feel would be important when buying?

Same as above.
    - The time it takes to fold up the bike, if you're in a rush hopping onto Luas/train - does it take 10 seconds or 10 minutes?

You need to practise it. But its about 10~15 secs for me.
    Depending on the bike.
    - Is it heavy and the size? if it's a ton or big and awkward you're going to be public enemy number 1 on the bus/luas/train.

Yes.
    - Gears. I see there are single 3 speed and 6/7 speed geared ones. But the more gears the heavier it is apparently?

Depends, but generally yes.
    What I'm wondering is - why are these brompton's like this one so expensive?

Good quality, good brand (high resale) and the smallest neatest fold. (like a lot smaller) They can also be wheeled when folded. (if configured with rollers).

... I'll essentially be cycling 10 mins max to Broombridge/Ashtown to get the Luas or Train in mornings. Off at Harcourt for work, 3 min cycle. Then in the evenings max 10 min cycle again to Pearse to catch the train. ...

I assume you've done the whole journey just using the bike, using your existing bike. Because that will be quicker then getting the train. But its no harm to have other options.

The Main line train to Connolly/Pearse/Docklands are pretty jammed. Have you tried them?

On the Luas they say it needs to be in cover/bag. Don't know if this is policed. Never tried. Have seen someone getting off with a brompton.

"Only foldable bicycles stored in a carrier bag may be brought on board."

Tern is one of the better makes. It folds much better then others you posted. That would be my choice.

As for gears. I have one with 7 speed gears (derailleur) and one with no gears.
    The one with no gears is also stripped to the minimum. Its only about 1 to 1.5kg lighter.
    For me thats significant. Easier to carry and manoever on a pack train.
    But it has a back pedal brake which I don't like.

The gears are handy if you are doing a hill or going high speed, or longer distances. Otherwise don't need them.
    Derailleurs are cheaper than hub gears but catch the dirt and get knocked easier. But the bike was cheap.

I bought both of mine 2nd hand. Both were pretty much unused.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Thanks for all your comments above.
    I've sourced a TERN A7 Link second hand one (which is basically brand new) for €380.00. I rang Penny Farthing Cycles on Camden Street and they have the same bike starting at €560.00

Do I really need to get a bag/cover for it for luas and train?

Yeah, from where I'm at - Phoenix Park Racecourse, it takes 30-40 mins depending on traffic to cycle to work on Adelaide Rd D2. I was doing this on the 2nd hand hybrid bike there for 2/3 weeks. But I stopped, I'm a heavy sweater when I'm doing any kind of light exercise, so it meant I'd have to shower and bring stuff into work which was another 15-20 mins.

I'm moving to a new apartment in Royal Canal Park ashtown - in between broombridge and ashtown soon. So I saw this as a good solution - 4 min cycle to station, luas is 26 mins to harcourt street from broombridge. 3 min cycle to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Thanks for all your comments above.
    I've sourced a TERN A7 Link second hand one (which is basically brand new) for €380.00. I rang Penny Farthing Cycles on Camden Street and they have the same bike starting at €560.00

Do I really need to get a bag/cover for it for luas and train?

Yeah, from where I'm at - Phoenix Park Racecourse, it takes 30-40 mins depending on traffic to cycle to work on Adelaide Rd D2. I was doing this on the 2nd hand hybrid bike there for 2/3 weeks. But I stopped, I'm a heavy sweater when I'm doing any kind of light exercise, so it meant I'd have to shower and bring stuff into work which was another 15-20 mins.

I'm moving to a new apartment in Royal Canal Park ashtown - in between broombridge and ashtown soon. So I saw this as a good solution - 4 min cycle to station, luas is 26 mins to harcourt street from broombridge. 3 min cycle to work!

Just walk to the luas and grab a dublin bike at the far end.

It's a 10-15 min walk depending on where in rcp you are. By the time you get yourself and the bike out and then get it folded at the other end youll be nearly as long and youll have the hassle of the bike.

Rcp is much closer to town the Phoenix park racecourse, I'd reconsider cycling the whole way too. If sweating is a huge problem get an electric bike.

Just walk to the luas and grab a dublin bike at the far end.

It's a 10-15 min walk depending on where in rcp you are. By the time you get yourself and the bike out and then get it folded at the other end youll be nearly as long and youll have the hassle of the bike.

Rcp is much closer to town the Phoenix park racecourse, I'd reconsider cycling the whole way too. If sweating is a huge problem get an electric bike.

Do you reckon? I'm not so sure. It's Cassian Court in RCP. It says it's 16 mins to broombridge walking vs 4 min cycle. 10 mins each way is 20, that's a lot every day. It's not being lazy, it's convenience which is huge in this day and age. What if it's pissing rain some morning and you've a 15-20 min walk? The fold bike is 10kg, at the minute from PPRC I've to unlock my bicycle in the Underground car park, then lock it up dependent on whether I park it at broombridge or cycle the whole way to work.

I was cycling in the whole way but honestly I'd always have to shower. As for RCP being closer for cycling it still says 30mins even along the canal. Not to mention the fact you're safer inside a luas or train than the lunatics cycling and driving around you once you reach the quays and inner city.

I found Dublin bikes too unreliable for commuting. But its depends on time of day and direction you are going in. Availability has improved.

Folding a bike was seconds and thus a non issue for me. Main issue for me is space on the train. Too overcrowded. Was a great solution until the trains got packed.

I'd consider a scooter other than legality issues, and they are a lot bigger than you think.

Cycling does have some overhead either end. The folding bike I could leave under the desk which saved about 10 mins messing around locking up in the car park.

For me the folding bike cut about 20~25 mins walking down to about 6~8 mins. If you are tight on time its a decent saving.

Try it you'd probably get your money back if you sell it anyway.

• Advertisement

Bought a Tern A7 foldable bike tonight second hand for €380.00
    To be honest it’s a lot heavier than I’d imagined. But folds very very easily. Glad I went for the reputable brand. Brand new condition. Just have to get my head round carrying it or where to purchase a bag/cover for the luas for it

There's two main types of folding bike. Those made of steel and those in aluminium.

You can have thinner bars in steel but they are heavy.
    You need thicker bars in aluminium to have the same strength. Which ends up being pretty much the same weight.

Then the quality and weight of everything else comes into it. Gears, brakes, wheels, tubes, tyres, lights, fenders etc.

The Lightest Titanium Brompton is around 2k. The cheapest folding bike is about 250. Thats the range.

I say putting a bag over it would take ages. Have it folded, and throw your coat over it. If you get hassle then buy a cover. There turn up on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Cycling forum may be able to give further help with your query op

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

This bag holds a brompton nicely, worth checking if the Tern fits, it's a lot cheaper than finding an actual bike cover:

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/small-storage-organisers/waste-sorting-bins/dimpa-storage-bag-transparent-art-10056770/

I must try that with mine. Handy on a wet evening. Looks way to small for a 20" need something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bicycle-Folding-Carrier-Bike-Carry/dp/B0126UR4MS/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=20%22+Bike+Bag&qid=1554395681&s=gateway&sr=8-5

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭arknine

Just have to get my head round carrying it or where to purchase a bag/cover for the luas for it

Did you buy a cover? Is it policed on the Luas - I am considering this as an option for the commute to a new job

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

get a cheapo bike and a decent lock for the cycle to Broombridge and leave the bike there. Walk from Harcourt at the other end. Folding bike is only worth the hassle if you have a decent journey at both ends.

(cycling the whole way will be quicker, but it looks like a fairly tricky route in terms of mixing with traffic).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You've the expensive ones like Brompton and Tern that are anything from €500-1000 second and new. Out of my budget. I'll essentially be cycling 10 mins max to Broombridge/Ashtown to get the Luas or Train in mornings. Off at Harcourt for work, 3 min cycle. Then in the evenings max 10 min cycle again to Pearse to catch the train.

- Gears. I see there are single 3 speed and 6/7 speed geared ones. But the more gears the heavier it is apparently? I saw this https://www.adverts.ie/17630171

and this https://www.adverts.ie/17633658 and thought the 7 speed would be better, although it's 15kg approx.
    - I bought a second hand hybrid bike off of adverts.ie about 5/6 weeks ago when I started a job in the city. It was €150 so I don't think I'd want to go over this/€200 for the folding bike.

What I'm wondering is - why are these brompton's like this one so expensive? https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/brompton-fold-up-bike/17616925

This one looks like the best buy going on specs or the raleigh 7 spd? https://www.adverts.ie/17567474 or https://www.adverts.ie/17594215
    Has to be in a carry case for the Luas. You’re at the first stop so you’ll get on.

Advertisement