Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After hours mod allowing cruel language

Options
  • 21-05-2019 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

The mod Skylinehead is allowing people to call figure head a w*nkers and its thinks its acceptable to use the w*nker. When I called it out he says its a joke. The word w*nker was no censored like I have it.

Then banned me from posting the thread again.

Here is an example. 3rd post from bottom

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057982297&page=12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,405 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

For those who may care here is my post that the OP is talking about
    No one even knew he was visiting that day lol, went to meet friends that evening and it was the 1st i had heard about it. When it was shown on the news the cheers that went up were like Harry Kane had scored in the world cup (the cries of WANNNNKERRRRRR were similar too:D )

I clearly state that the patrons of the bar i was in called him that, not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,151 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what is the problem with the word wanker? If boards.ie had a problem with it then it would censor the word. Has the world really become so sensitive?

No they mentioned the third post from the bottom, which was mine. and i did call him a wanker.
    but tommy is a wanker so what is the issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

I refered to a different person. Thanks for stalking me posting:D

this is the post in question

• Advertisement

declan2693 wrote: »
    this is the post in question

What is the issue then? Is it really worth starting 2 threads over?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

3rd post from the bottom doesn't work unless I have boards set up exactly like you and no one else posts in the thread.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    3rd post from the bottom doesn't work unless I have boards set up exactly like you and no one else posts in the thread.

It's this specific post:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110240411&postcount=178

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Which is why i thought it was mine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I explained this in PMs.

There's no rule against insulting public, non-boards posters. Or I'd have to ban 75% of AH, myself probably included.

There's no rule against swearing.

There's no rule against circumventing the swear filter.

You're making up rules to get posters you disagree with banned. It's not going to happen.

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »

Yes is that behavior allowed?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I've read much worse about public figures here. Don't always agree with it but that's how it is

I explained this in PMs.

There's no rule against insulting public, non-boards posters. Or I'd have to ban 75% of AH, myself probably included.

There's no rule against swearing.

There's no rule against circumventing the swear filter.

You're making up rules to get posters you disagree with banned. It's not going to happen.

How am I making up rules when I'm asking a question????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yes is that behavior allowed?

Probably. Not the finest post ever to grace these fair pages but not against the rules AFAIK.

How am I making up rules when I'm asking a question????

Your post:
    He is not helping himself at all with these posts.

So far the use of the word muzzie and wanker and yet he is allowed to keep posting yet incredible.

Fairly straightforward. Why would he not be allowed to post? What rules are broken? None. So why should we ban him?

Your post:

Fairly straightforward. Why would he not be allowed to post? What rules are broken? None. So why should we ban him?

You keep going on with yourselfa bout me wanting to ban him. I questioning are u allowing to call people ****. I have my answer you are. Goodbye

Your post:

Just to be clear this thread was started about my post but the post you quoted is not in reference to me. I would never use the word muzzie.

Just to be clear this thread was started about my post but the post you quoted is not in reference to me. I would never use the word muzzie.

I did (in jest) that's why i thought it was about me :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm going to have to come back to this

"Shay" was a fcuking bellend. Plain and simple.
    This was posted and reported in the Irish man missing on Mount Everest thread. No action taken. Now whatever about abuse of public figures being allowed or not, they have to some extent put themselves out there, but this was posted about a man who is only public through his unfortunate death. I'm really surprised that this is allowed here, he was Irish, his family is local and could very easily come across this thread. What good does it do except let some little shíts act all smug over a man's death? If people want to discuss his actions they can do it in a respectful manner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Still not sure what this thread is about.

That is a fact so not sure why the OP has gone off the deep end over it....

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

"Shay" was a fcuking bellend. Plain and simple.
    This was posted and reported in the Irish man missing on Mount Everest thread. No action taken. Now whatever about abuse of public figures being allowed or not, they have to some extent put themselves out there, but this was posted about a man who is only public through his unfortunate death. I'm really surprised that this is allowed here, he was Irish, his family is local and could very easily come across this thread. What good does it do except let some little shíts act all smug over a man's death? If people want to discuss his actions they can do it in a respectful manner

While I certainly don't agree with the sentiment of that quote, I do believe that to a reasonable degree, we need to allow people say stupid things sometimes, if we are truly to be a discussion site. Otherwise, we run the risk of streamlining the forum into a beige, generic "everything is fine" discussion.

In the end, I tend to find that posts such as that reflect far more on the poster, than on the person being spoken about.

I think that was aimed at Timberrrr, who used it mockingly/in jest (obviously, but clearly not to OP who goes off on his outrage rant regardless).

I think that was aimed at Timberrrr, who used it mockingly/in jest (obviously, but clearly not to OP who goes off on his outrage rant regardless).

What rant are you talking about. You feelings have been clearly hurt by this thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

The quoted post says a lot more about the poster than it does about the target. On reading that, any weight their opinion may have had just evaporated.

I used to try to enforce civility on posters. I gave up because at the end of the day it is a discussion site and we have to let users be themselves. if you have to force someone to have some common decency then its already a losing battle. If they act like trolls or children then thats about the level of credence they deserve. I would fully expect their posting style/history to be taken into account when assessing any future issues on the forums - not just cards and warnings.

What rant are you talking about. You feelings have been clearly hurt by this thread.

From the guy who started TWO threads because someone called Tommy Robinson a wanker :pac:

LoLth wrote: »
    The quoted post says a lot more about the poster than it does about the target. On reading that, any weight their opinion may have had just evaporated.

I used to try to enforce civility on posters. I gave up because at the end of the day it is a discussion site and we have to let users be themselves. if you have to force someone to have some common decency then its already a losing battle. If they act like trolls or children then thats about the level of credence they deserve. I would fully expect their posting style/history to be taken into account when assessing any future issues on the forums - not just cards and warnings.

What exactly do you think it says about me?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

What exactly do you think it says about me?

I think it says the poster has a lack of empathy and a childish disregard for decorum and civility and that their need for attention outweighs their sense of decency.

None of that may be true in fact but that is the impression the statement left me with.

(I am referring to the statement on Shay made in the thread on his disappearance and death - not the wanker comment. the Shay statement is not attributed so I'm not sure if that is what you are referring to).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement