Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History as a mature subject.

Options
  • 19-02-2018 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi

As the thread title says I'm giving serious thought to going to college and studying for an undergraduate degree in history. I would be interested in hearing from other people about their thoughts on this. Does the subject attract many mature students. Would you recommend studying for a single honours or a joint degree and what subjects go well with history. I'm mostly interested in modern history especially the cold war and eastern Europe. Finally and perhaps most importantly can anyone recommend any books that would give me an idea of what it is like to study history at third level. I'm planning to go to college in 2019 so any thoughts on the best way to prepare would be welcome.

Mick.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Definitely review the curriculum at various universities because history on its own will certainly cover some middle ages, some later 1st millennium history and modern (eg 1800 onwards).

I studied ancient history and archaeology as part of a two subject mod in TCD. Lots of mature students.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As a topic, I've always found history to be very interesting and important for a well balanced perspective of life. That being said, as a career there would not be that much of a demand. A good book on the subject of history I'd recommend to provide a flavour of what is to gained by its study is The Uses and Abuses of History by Margaret MacMillian.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

I am hoping to get into Maynooth Arts or Trinity TSM with History as my major. As another poster has mentioned, while looking at both colleges course structure a lot of the grounds that would be studied would be early history etc. My interest lays though Tudor period on wards.

Really hope I get in some where this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Geniemac84

Hi guys. A mature student here just finishing up my degree in English and History in Carlow College. I can hand on heart say I absolutely love history. I've chosen that as my major subject and am completing my thesis on Kevin O'Higgins the assassinated vice president of Ireland. There were many aspects of the course I loved, as part of it we completed a local area history project and I was very proud of my first class honours result in it. However, although being a mature student, I still have bills to pay, and I cannot see myself getting a job in any sector that involves using my love of history in conjunction with getting a full time wage. I've therefore had to apply for a postgraduate course in IT. Do think about the long term goals if you are applying for history. Best of luck with your application.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Josip007

I am been studing on ancient history and archaeology as part of a two subject. and it will be great for me too to gather as much knowledge and information which I have study. It will help
    Thanks all in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This something I've been considering with no real digging in to details as of yet. I've a UK BSc First done as mature/evening so I know I'm capable of going the course (and still retain my subsidised "free fees" as I've never gone to college in Ireland) - but my main interest is in slightly less modern history than the OP but still vastly closer to now than ancient history.

I don't think there's many, if any, courses that focus on modern history? I can see justifications for why not easily but I simply don't have the interest in anything pre-Victorian usually.

I'd be looking to do this for personal satisfaction rather than employment - my money comes from stuff vaguely tangential to the other degree and that's not going to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 paddddddy

I'm doing Heritage Studies in GMIT as a mature student - there are modules on Local, National & International History. Before christmas was >1200, just finishing 1200 - 1600 and second year is more recent again. Really enjoyable course and might be up your street.

Other modules include
    • Built, Cultural, Natural & Digital Heritage
    • Geography (Human & Physical)
    • Archaeology
    • Tourism
    • Genealogy
    • Museum Studies
    • Urban & Rural Field Studies
    • Folklore
    • Literature

Advertisement