Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-09-2020, 17:16   #1
BrianD3

Exercising a laid up car - benefits?

I enjoy looking at youtube videos of people starting cars that haven't been started in many years. Classic car enthusiasts would often have such cars laid up outside at their property.

Is it worthwhile to start and move them a bit (that's if they start and drive!) every few months or so vs leaving them sit idle. What problems would this avert?

From the videos I've watched, fuel pumps seem to cause problems after an extended period of non use.

Is a timing belt less likely to snap on a car that is started every few months vs one that is started every few years.

With some of my own cars I've noticed small things e.g. an analogue clock that doesn't work until the car has been running for a while and is nice and warm - moisture in the electrics?

Leaving the handbrake off and smearing grease on brake disks makes life a lot easier - yes the pads will now be contaminated and probably need changing before the car goes back on the road but it will be much easier to move the car while it is laid up.

Also, is it considerably better to store a car on tarmac/concrete vs grass/dirt or is that a myth.
Advertisement
16-09-2020, 17:33   #2
$hifty

No advice on your query, as I wouldn't know much about the pros and cons, just wanted to drop a link to this guy's channel in case anybody hasn't seen him yet: Vice Grip Garage

The vids are all great, but this one especially.

16-09-2020, 23:18   #3
Andrewf20

Surely starting and moving the car regularly is best. Get some heat in the car to drive out condensation in the mechanicals and the electrics, especially if outdoors.
Yesterday, 11:41   #4
Seweryn

Starting and moving a bit is something I wouldn't do occasionally for a rarely used car. But driving for a good 20 min. that is a very different thing and should be done regularly.
Yesterday, 16:32   #5
antodeco
Warning: Contains traces of nuts

Alot of people fall down on this. They start the car and rev it a bit and they think that's all you need.

The car needs to move. As was mentioned, you need to clean out the condensation. You want the oil circulating around. You want the joints/bearings etc, getting moved to stop ceasing up, and you want the tyres rolling to remove chances of flat spots.

An issue I used to have was the slow oil leak that fouled the spark plugs if the car wasn't used for a long time. I used to pop them out, blowtorch them and put them back in. They were right as rain for the next time.
Advertisement
Yesterday, 21:52   #6
80sDiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by $hifty View Post
No advice on your query, as I wouldn't know much about the pros and cons, just wanted to drop a link to this guy's channel in case anybody hasn't seen him yet: Vice Grip Garage

The vids are all great, but this one especially.
Thanks ,watched the whole thing. Reminded me of the roadkill episodes.
Thanks from:
Today, 14:08   #7
LIGHTNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sDiesel View Post
Thanks ,watched the whole thing. Reminded me of the roadkill episodes.
Jesus that guy is brilliant, subscribing to him now
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion