Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
11-09-2020, 16:48   #1
BrianD3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6,565
Alfa 155, Tipo, Tempra, Dedra

I see someone in the forum has spotted a 1993 Lancia Dedra and posted a pic. Made me think about the cars and their Fiat group cousins. There are very few left on the road, howmanyleft has the following for the UK (plenty more SORN of coruse)

Alfa 155 - 78
Lancia Dedra - 6
Fiat Tipo (1988-1996) - 63
Fiat Tempra - 26

Anyone own one, are they appearing at classic car shows? Are there big problems getting parts? Major rust issues?

Of the above cars, the 155 seems the one that would be the most desirable to an enthusiast by a big margin. I think they look great in "wide body" form in red with black wheels. BTCC win in 1994, also participated in 1995. The Gardai had 155s as unmarked cars circa 1997. I remember having a fetish for 155s around that time, friends thought I was nuts as they were regarded by many as being as ugly as sin.
BrianD3 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-09-2020, 19:02   #2
kev1.3s
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD3 View Post
I see someone in the forum has spotted a 1993 Lancia Dedra and posted a pic. Made me think about the cars and their Fiat group cousins. There are very few left on the road, howmanyleft has the following for the UK (plenty more SORN of coruse)

Alfa 155 - 78
Lancia Dedra - 6
Fiat Tipo (1988-1996) - 63
Fiat Tempra - 26

Anyone own one, are they appearing at classic car shows? Are there big problems getting parts? Major rust issues?

Of the above cars, the 155 seems the one that would be the most desirable to an enthusiast by a big margin. I think they look great in "wide body" form in red with black wheels. BTCC win in 1994, also participated in 1995. The Gardai had 155s as unmarked cars circa 1997. I remember having a fetish for 155s around that time, friends thought I was nuts as they were regarded by many as being as ugly as sin.
Always loved the155's, brother had one back in the day. For all its flaws it always seemed to stir my emotions more than the 156.
kev1.3s is offline  
11-09-2020, 19:30   #3
road_high
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 15,213
Ya know, the Garda fleet used to be much more exotic. They didn’t just focus one mediocre cheap brand (Hyundai) and had a mix of stuff.
The Alfa Guilia is a fantastic car, would make a great police car
road_high is offline  
(2) thanks from:
11-09-2020, 22:51   #4
Duke O Smiley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 10,543
My old Tipo, a great car!









I bought it from the original owner in 2015 with about 40k on the clock. Sold it about year later with 55 on the clock I think.

It was a surprisingly sprightly little car. Loved it, wish I still had it.
Duke O Smiley is offline  
11-09-2020, 23:18   #5
unkel
Category Moderator
 
unkel's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke O Smiley View Post
It was a surprisingly sprightly little car. Loved it, wish I still had it.
Made for Italians, they like to move
unkel is offline  
Advertisement
11-09-2020, 23:50   #6
Roald Dahl
15 Belmont
 
Roald Dahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 57
My Dad had a Tempra back in the day. After a slew of Fords in the intervening time, he still harks back to the old Tempra.

I had a Stilo myself a long time ago, a really good-looking 3-door. Loved that car! The 5-door version was butt ugly in comparison. Not too many Stilos knocking around these days, either.

The new Bravo that replaced it was equally hideous and the new Tipo is just dowdy.

Whilst we're on the topic of ol Fiats, there was a house in the D12 area years ago with two 131s in the driveway.

And... on a drive down to Sligo about five years ago a car came our way and from afar I could tell that I knew its shape. I had sat in one in the Finglas Motors showroom many years ago as a very small boy (along with the red Ritmo 105 TC). It got closer, and yes, the wedge shape was unmistakable... an X1/9!

You live on a beautiful street, Duke, by the way.
Roald Dahl is offline  
(3) thanks from:
12-09-2020, 09:28   #7
road_high
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 15,213
I like the newTipo!! I think it looks kinda classy and for the money a lot of car! They are built in Turkey so they are able to keep the price lower than the competitors
road_high is offline  
Thanks from:
12-09-2020, 10:19   #8
BrianD3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6,565
Duke's pics nicely show the Fiat hatchback design philosophy - long wheelbase relative to the length of the car and a shape to maximise space. Uno, Tipo, Punto etc.. I hope that car survives. Still looks good IMO.

I find it strange how so few are left on the road in the UK
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/family...tipo#!firstreg

Also surprised at how (relatively!) many Tempras are still on the road in comparison!

Last edited by BrianD3; 12-09-2020 at 15:38.
BrianD3 is offline  
12-09-2020, 13:50   #9
road_high
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 15,213
Still see the odd Stilo about but they’ve disappeared fast in recent years.
The 5 door was a dreadful looking thing, really awful ugly dumpy style for an Italian car. The 3 door was a lot better but the 5 door was where the main market would be in that class.
Fiat seem to be advertising again, I see ads with the 500 hybrids. There’s a new version and electric coming too.
The 500l is another styling horror that could have had so much potential- though it is the cheapest 7 seater car out there
road_high is offline  
Advertisement
12-09-2020, 14:53   #10
Duke O Smiley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 10,543
The 6 speed gearbox was such a novelty on the Stilo at the time too.
Duke O Smiley is offline  
13-09-2020, 20:34   #11
RobAMerc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,227
my mate had a Tipo 16v back in 92 or 93 - it was a fantastic yoke and would eat contemporary GTI and XR3 for breakfast -
the car did the rounds - but his son managed to buy it back there recently, I look forward to seeing it back on the road.

I like the 155 but the tempra never done it for me - digital dash was awful

I think a nice 145 cloverleaf would be a great buy
RobAMerc is offline  
13-09-2020, 21:00   #12
Arthur Daley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,617
In between the Bravo/Brava were very popular, European COTY and seemed reasonably solid little Escort class cars.

The Stilo launch felt like the time it started to go wrong for FIAT. Meant to compete with the Golf and Focus but seemed to be miles off the pace at launch.
Arthur Daley is offline  
14-09-2020, 10:02   #13
road_high
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 15,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Daley View Post
In between the Bravo/Brava were very popular, European COTY and seemed reasonably solid little Escort class cars.

The Stilo launch felt like the time it started to go wrong for FIAT. Meant to compete with the Golf and Focus but seemed to be miles off the pace at launch.
It was, they lost a solid fortune on it and it nearly buried the company. Dreadful buisness decision. Imagine signing off on that thing thinking it could compete with the class looking Focus and Golf. Crazy, the Brava/o were way better looking
https://europe.autonews.com/assets/pdf/ca922611217.pdf
road_high is offline  
14-09-2020, 12:41   #14
unkel
Category Moderator
 
unkel's Avatar
That's not a very cheery article
unkel is offline  
14-09-2020, 21:20   #15
RobAMerc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,227
some guaranteed future classics in that article - I think an attempt to define a new sector or break into premium class looks to be a recipe for disaster.
RobAMerc is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet