Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's anyone's luck in dating scene and apps so far?

Options
  • 29-09-2020 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

After I took time off from dating for personal reasons and now when I am ready to get back in to the game, pandemic hits. I tried dating apps for the first time two weeks ago and even though I have gotten likes and got matched couple of times, only one girl replied back but that person sounded iffy (my friend suggested that it might be a fake profile).

I'm not bad looking, if I do say so myself, but it seems that dating apps are more reserved for the ridiculously good-looking people. I have had gotten interests in real life when I wasn't even remotely looking for dates. But we have a pandemic so I can't exactly mingle...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Nah don't use Tinder. Match isn't much good either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

quiet due to covid and i'd say people are sick of using them....back on it last week and got some numbers and meet ups so its picking up...Bumble is dreadful though with Irish women not being good at initiating the conversation

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Maskirovka

quiet due to covid and i'd say people are sick of using them....back on it last week and got some numbers and meet ups so its picking up...Bumble is dreadful though with Irish women not being good at initiating the conversation

Fair play to you. I have not gotten any luck at all in longer chats and getting any numbers.

With Bumble there are hardly any users at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Get to the pub, the young ones are mad for it having had no action for months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Was thinking of joining yer Tinders and POFs and all that.

A bit sketchy though, with the wife and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

all them sites are crap TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Maskirovka wrote: »
    After I took time off from dating for personal reasons and now when I am ready to get back in to the game, pandemic hits. I tried dating apps for the first time two weeks ago and even though I have gotten likes and got matched couple of times, only one girl replied back but that person sounded iffy (my friend suggested that it might be a fake profile).

I'm not bad looking, if I do say so myself, but it seems that dating apps are more reserved for the ridiculously good-looking people. I have had gotten interests in real life when I wasn't even remotely looking for dates. But we have a pandemic so I can't exactly mingle...

It's not so much about your picture and how you look it's about your profile bio.

Try to sound cheeky, confident but not big-headed or narcisisstic, intelligent but rogueish.

Put the crap like "I love life and love to laugh, enjoy walks on the beach, like dogs. New to this so looking to see what might happen, blah blah" ... put dross like that in your bio and you might as well join a monastery. Women don't want to hear that shit.

You have to sound like you might be a bit of fun. Make women want to get to you before the competition does.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

KungPao wrote: »
    Was thinking of joining yer Tinders and POFs and all that.

A bit sketchy though, with the wife and all.

Ashley Madison might be the ticket for you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Get some weight lifting photos up
    Take some photos of expensive car with you standing beside it with a puppy

Get to the pub, the young ones are mad for it having had no action for months

I do notice that there are more hot women appearing in town than ever before 😂

• Advertisement

It's not so much about your picture and how you look it's about your profile bio.

Try to sound cheeky, confident but not big-headed or narcisisstic, intelligent but rogueish.

Put the crap like "I love life and love to laugh, enjoy walks on the beach, like dogs. New to this so looking to see what might happen, blah blah" ... put dross like that in your bio and you might as well join a monastery. Women don't want to hear that shit.

You have to sound like you might be a bit of fun. Make women want to get to you before the competition does.

I underestimated bios I suppose. I am never into that superficial trite but all to increase some chance of action.

I am a nerd I have to admit, although the cute nerds who said they're into gaming have not liked me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I underestimated bios I suppose. I am never into that superficial trite but all to increase some chance of action.

I am a nerd I have to admit, although the cute nerds who said they're into gaming have not liked me back.

As a nerd you must have a dark side...and I'm not talking about pulling the wings off butterflies are reading the wasp factory.

Advertise that you like jumping on a train with 2 6packs and a bottle of wine. She can come if she wants. Tight jeans preferable. Dancing badly to Elvis, snogging in public, leather jackets, rasher sambos and tea after a roll in the hay. Quilt, pizza and Jaws on Sunday afternoon on the couch. Painting her toenails scarlet as she's out of the shower and sipping her Cava.....crap like that.

And do it, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Just write something like 'Into gaming and between levels I can bend you over my Hewlett-Packard and make you scream like Zelda'

Women love that type of talk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Nerds want to date models

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Airfix models.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Just write something like 'Into gaming and between levels I can bend you over my Hewlett-Packard and make you scream like Zelda'

Women love that type of talk.

I'm gonna have to steal this ****e haha.
    bobbyy gee wrote: »

Tinder is where the models mostly at but I never really expect much from it. POF is surprisingly more diverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A lot of it is luck, and a bit hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭893bet

Lolled hard at Casanova’s in this thread giving bio advice on what “women want”. As of all women are mutually the same and want the same thing.

Be yourself. Anything else is a waste of time. If it’s just the ride you are after you might as well pay for it than pretending to be someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Met someone on tinder post lockdown and we hang out and have great banter and fun. We are at different stages in our lives (10 year age gap) so cannot see it becoming a long term thing yet but who knows.

However, I think it suits us both going into another tough few months over the winter as that few months from March to June was incredibly isolating. We both live alone, but its nice to have that little bubble going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Met someone on tinder post lockdown and we hang out and have great banter and fun. We are at different stages in our lives (10 year age gap) so cannot see it becoming a long term thing yet but who knows.

However, I think it suits us both going into another tough few months over the winter as that few months from March to June was incredibly isolating. We both live alone, but its nice to have that little bubble going.

Sounds really nice, I live alone myself and having someone else to share banter with and a bit of communication is good.
    I'm thinking of joining tinder but at 45 maybe it's not the place to be.
    I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

Tinder is grand but for actually meeting people for legit relationships POF and Bumble are the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Homelander wrote: »
    Tinder is grand but for actually meeting people for legit relationships POF and Bumble are the way to go.

I matched on tinder with Joy. Only 5000+ kilometres away, :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I met my wife through Tinder five years ago.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

cj maxx wrote: »

Ah yes, the Tinder passport feature, one of the more bizarre aspects of online dating in the Covid era. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I met my wife through Tinder five years ago.

As did I! Baby on the way early next year aswell so this can work out for people.

I had uninstalled the app about 40 times and gone through phases of giving up on dating apps but there are plenty of people out there looking for whatever you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

cj maxx wrote: »

And probably a Ladyboy too. Ugh. *Shivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

As did I! Baby on the way early next year aswell so this can work out for people.

I had uninstalled the app about 40 times and gone through phases of giving up on dating apps but there are plenty of people out there looking for whatever you are looking for.

You met his wife on Tinder? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I can unequivocally say I have had a success rate of 0% on these apps since I started using them about 8 years ago. I take from it the following:

- I'm not good looking enough
    - I can't do good bios

That's it really. But i'm still convinced it's all down to looks, with the bio being the 'icing on the cake' if you will. I've had more matches on Bumble than POF and Tinder combined, but not a single message from anyone. The ones I matched with on Tinder/POF, i'd send a message and never hear anything back.

Just my 2 cents.

Advertisement