Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What temperature do you think is too cold to leave a dog outside?

• 26-09-2020 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

0pMy two dogs sleep outside in a dog house. I see it's to be quite cold tonight. I would normally let them sleep inside if I seen it was to be this cold but they like there little bed too. I do worry about them when it's this cold do

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

AMKC wrote: »
    0pMy two dogs sleep outside in a dog house. I see it's to be quite cold tonight. I would normally let them sleep inside if I seen it was to be this cold but they like there little bed too. I do worry about them when it's this cold do

If you are worried, bring them in?

Then they and you will sleep..

Maybe bring their bed in too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

Depends on the breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

october to april dogs in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Too many factors to give the right answer. Easiest thing is to just not leave the dog outside over night.

My friend recently took a husky off her neighbour, the husky had a deep rooted lung infection that the previous owners were basically unaware of, likely from spending years left outside. So just because a dog seems built for the outdoors, does not necessarily mean they are so.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

It’s depends on the breed / dog itself and age is also a factor!

Personally I much prefer to have my guy inside where he is warm, happy and safe each night (and also during the day) he’s part of the family and my family sleep indoors!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

They are Yorkshire Terriors. I watch the weather every night and if I think it's too cold for them I do not leave them outside as they do like being but they also love being in.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

They are Yorkshire Terriors. I watch the weather every night and if I think it's too cold for them I do not leave them outside as they do like being but they also love being in.

Honestly they should be in all the time - they have light / whispy fur .. def not ‘built’ for being outside.

If the like being inside too why not let them sleep inside all the time - that’s just me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Aside from anything else, there has been so much dog theft lately that having a dog outside unsupervised is probably not a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Aside from anything else, there has been so much dog theft lately that having a dog outside unsupervised is probably not a good idea.
    A Garda said on Crimecall the other night that the number of reported dog thefts this year is the same as last year.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
    Ms

cocker5 wrote: »
    Honestly they should be in all the time - they have light / whispy fur .. def not ‘built’ for being outside.

If the like being inside too why not let them sleep inside all the time - that’s just me!

Thanks. Ideally I would leave them inside if they could go out through the door on there own but that would mean changing glass on the patio door to have a glass in it with a dog door. Its either that or leave the door open which I am not mad about doing in winter and they were outside all Summer so will see.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Dear god, bring them in, Yorkies have such thin coats as in single layer and little to no body fat. For info, I don’t believe any dog should be made to sleep outdoors, especially at night, but in this case definitely not yorkies. Also they are one of the most stolen breeds and from experience I know how cold they get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Don't keep dogs if you aren't willing to let them live in your home.

It's animal cruelty. I doubt you worry about them too much if you're willing to do that.

Especially a tiny thin breed like that that was never made to live outside in the first place. Why do you keep pets?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Why have you to leave the door open? They are tiny little dogs very whispy hair and hardly any body fat. Not built for the outdoors at all. I would definitely be keeping them in doors without a second thought.

Thanks. Ideally I would leave them inside if they could go out through the door on there own but that would mean changing glass on the patio door to have a glass in it with a dog door. Its either that or leave the door open which I am not mad about doing in winter and they were outside all Summer so will see.

I don’t understand.. why do u need a dog door?

My guy sleeps inside all night and is in all day with no access to the garden - I let him out numerous times during they day.. he sleeps through the night

I don’t understand, is this a case of you thinking they want to be outside all the time so there will be issues if brought inside? Dogs are opportunists and if given the opportunity to sleep in a warm, cosy kitchen or living room or somewhere near their humans, they will. Not to mention, the fireworks, most dogs hate them and if left outside they might get a serious fright that is very difficult to desensitise and can be extremely expensive to treat if traumatised.

Will say, we’ve a yorkie that is a rescue, was definitely left outside sometime in his life, weather it was all the time or some we don’t know, however he is very sound sensitive and is very much like a greyhound in terms of retaining body heat, he burrows and will crawl under the duvet on our bed to keep warm. I eventually made him his own wool duvet cover to burrow in while our Pom cross runs warm and likes to sleep on the kitchen floor if the heating comes on...

NO NEED FOR THAT.
    Consider this a warning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

BloodBath wrote: »
    I hope somebody steals them. They will probably end up in a better home.

Okay... I'll step in here and put a stop to the rhetoric about the op's abilities as an owner. Instead of berating them, why not do as other posters have, and use this as an opportunity to share knowledge with the op on why it might be best to bring the dogs in?
    It is my overwhelming experience that if you take on to insult and offend people in these situations, you will not only alienate them, you will also not get the change in behaviour that you're looking for.
    Post with respect please. Otherwise, don't post.
    Thanks.
    DBB

Right, it was deleted already but now you're quoting it.

I'm an animal lover and I consider this animal cruelty.

Maybe not the best way to approach it but it annoys the crap out of me when people do this.

This is not some semi wild breed of dog evolved for the outdoors. It's a tiny vulnerable breed bred to be looked after by humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Absolute bonkers people in this world.

Nothing wrong with a dog sleeping outside in mild weather, you should be able to know yourself if it's too cold to leave them out though - especially if they're older.

But a well insulated kennel with plenty of bedding is more than enough for most dogs in our mild climate unless it's extra frosty out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Right, it was deleted already but now you're quoting it.

Merely a result of your below-par post attracting the attention of 2 mods at once.
    Maybe not the best way to approach it but it annoys the crap out of me when people do this.

We're all animal lovers here, but that doesn't give any of us a right to break forum rules by posting in an insulting manner.
    Like I say, try to educate rather than berate. You're more likely to achieve the exact opposite of what you want otherwise.
    Now, back on topic please. Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks.
    DBB

Kilboor wrote: »

Nothing wrong with a dog sleeping outside in mild weather, you should be able to know yourself if it's too cold to leave them out though - especially if they're older.

But a well insulated kennel with plenty of bedding is more than enough for most dogs in our mild climate unless it's extra frosty out.

Yes plenty of bonkers people who don't know a thing about the animal they are meant to be looking after.

Anything below 10c is too cold to be leaving them out. A well insulated kennel is not going to help much for a small breed like this.
    When the temperature is 45 degrees Farenheight (around 7 degrees Celcius) a Yorkshire Terrier will find it difficult to regulate their body temperature. As Yorkies have a small body mass and a finer coat than most breeds. They also don’t have the undercoat of breeds that were bred for cold climates.

It is important to not only take in to account the temperature. The wind chill factor can really affect your Yorkies comfort level. Even more, cold rain, sleet, and wet snow will quickly be absorbed by their coat. Their coat will retain the water which when combined with the cold, can quickly increase the risk of hypothermia.

https://barkhow.com/yorkie-temperature-tolerance/#:~:text=When%20the%20temperature%20is%2045,were%20bred%20for%20cold%20climates.

Kilboor wrote: »

Sorry but there are a lot of breeds that are thinned skinned and have light wispy fur and In normal standard dog kennel (wooden , plastic) they would be freezing .. ok if you’ve built a brick kennel and insulated it and maybe have a heat lamp then fine.. 99% of dog owners have standard dog kennels from the likes of maxi zoo - And these these are not warm enough for the OP dogs ..

Unlike my springer who had thick fur and an undercoat so technically yes he’d be ok outside .. but he MUCH prefers to be snuzzing in the kitchen happy out with his teddies and Orthopedic dog bed !

Where dogs can sleep .. and where they should sleep are 2 different things’

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Yes plenty of bonkers people who don't know a thing about the animal they are meant to be looking after.

Anything below 10c is too cold to be leaving them out. A well insulated kennel is not going to help much for a small breed like this.

https://barkhow.com/yorkie-temperature-tolerance/#:~:text=When%20the%20temperature%20is%2045,were%20bred%20for%20cold%20climates.

Yes that's the dog sleeping outside uncovered., in a kennel it's a different story..I'm not advocating for making the dog sleep outside, I'm saying that a well insulated kennel is a perfectly reasonable place for a dog (an animal) to sleep especially in mild weather. I would personally have a Yorkshire terrier inside but it's not animal cruelty to leave a dog sleep in a kennel outside.

Maybe not all breeds and entirely dependent on the quality of the kennel, the breed of dog and the climate.

Op never made any mention of a kennel, just some beds that will get damp and cold outside. What if it's also wet?

They did say they take them inside when it's colder. What about rain? It's something we have no shortage of.

The weather is not predictable either. Just because the forecast says no rain for the night and temps above 10c doesn't mean that will be the reality.

buy a crate put it in the kitchen at night closed with a newspaper for wee. give then a thick fleecy blanket in the crate dismantle the crate in the daytime simple or else re home the poor little mites . Yorkies never grow enough hair to be out doors they are lapdogs. To be on the lap of their human not in a squalid kennel outside.

Ms

They are well looked after and well spoilt and both rescue dogs. As to the dog house they sleep in it is well insulated both in the walls and the roof and is not from maxi zoo or any of that crap. My brother made it for his dogs and then gave it to me after they grew too big for it. I normally bring them In at winter but they are still dogs and leaving them in the kitchen would result in a mess. I might get a crate as a poster above suggested. Yes I would prefer to keep them inside during winter but during the summer months they are happier outside as they are too warm inside. They do get up the bed occasionally too but it's not something I do with them too often as then they start to think they get to go there all the time only during winter.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Esel wrote: »
    A Garda said on Crimecall the other night that the number of reported dog thefts this year is the same as last year.

But but but but Fakebook and a friend of a friend's work mate's brother's friend said that every dog in his estate was stolen, so the gardai and official figures must be wrong.

It's a conspiracy Joe, a conspiracy.

As for the op, I'd be allowing them in from now on, gets quite chilly these nights and weather for next week looks dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭newbie18892

They are well looked after and well spoilt and both rescue dogs. As to the dog house they sleep in it is well insulated both in the walls and the roof and is not from maxi zoo or any of that crap. My brother made it for his dogs and then gave it to me after they grew too big for it. I normally bring them In at winter but they are still dogs and leaving them in the kitchen would result in a mess. I might get a crate as a poster above suggested. Yes I would prefer to keep them inside during winter but during the summer months they are happier outside as they are too warm inside. They do get up the bed occasionally too but it's not something I do with them too often as then they start to think they get to go there all the time only during winter.

Surely they can be trained to not make a mess? My two rescue terriers always sleep in the kitchen in their crates and haven't had any accidents during the night since they were tiny puppies being toilet trained.

• Advertisement

I’m surprised they are rescues OP as most rescues will not rehome dogs to homes where they will be sleeping outside. Not saying I don’t believe you or anything just stating a fact

If your hell bent on leaving them outside why not get heaters for under their bedding to make sure they are ok?

Something like this:

https://www.petworld.ie/product/snuggle-safe-microwave-wireless-heatpad-with-fleece-cover/

You pop it in microwave then under their bedding ...

Will keep u both happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

If it's too cold for a human to sleep outdoors it's too cold for a dog.

If it's too hot for a human to be outside, it's too hot for a dog.

Time of day doesn't matter much.

That's the very basic needs, but any decent person also takes into account comfort and safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Shelli2 wrote: »
    If it's too cold for a human to sleep outdoors it's too cold for a dog.

If it's too hot for a human to be outside, it's too hot for a dog.

Time of day doesn't matter much.

That's the very basic needs, but any decent person also takes into account comfort and safety.

This is the problem when people ask genuine questions.

The dog police appear and unless you treat a dog like a human, you are bullied to hell by these types.

Dogs are NOT human. Yes many of us will treat them as extensions to the family, but they are dogs and they have different bodily systems to humans.

Different dogs even of the same breed become accustomed to different ways of living and if you bothered to read the posts you'd have read that the op has the dogs in a luxury insulated dog house.

But that won't stop the overreacting types who will never see it from any other point of view except their own.

Ms

I’m surprised they are rescues OP as most rescues will not rehome dogs to homes where they will be sleeping outside. Not saying I don’t believe you or anything just stating a fact

If your hell bent on leaving them outside why not get heaters for under their bedding to make sure they are ok?

Something like this:

https://www.petworld.ie/product/snuggle-safe-microwave-wireless-heatpad-with-fleece-cover/

You pop it in microwave then under their bedding ...

Will keep u both happy

Well one was rescued by my cousin who then gave her to me as she was worried the person she rescued it from would get it back and the other one I rescued myself as it was been mistreated and left outside all the time a couple of years ago around Christmas sooking wet and cold so I took him in and the owners agreed to let me have him as it was not working out for them. When I took him in he was afraid of everyone and angry but he is a very happy spoilt dog now. He is still quite shy do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Darc19 wrote: »
    This is the problem when people ask genuine questions.

The dog police appear and unless you treat a dog like a human, you are bullied to hell by these types.

Dogs are NOT human. Yes many of us will treat them as extensions to the family, but they are dogs and they have different bodily systems to humans.

Different dogs even of the same breed become accustomed to different ways of living and if you bothered to read the posts you'd have read that the op has the dogs in a luxury insulated dog house.

But that won't stop the overreacting types who will never see it from any other point of view except their own.

Very true

Some dogs just don't want to be inside

We had an Alaskan Mal/Sibe husky Mix and he never slept inside after puppy stage

We tried to bring him in few times like storms, big freeze years ago and he wouldnt sleep or settle till he was outside, we worried about him those times , but he prefered be in the shed or in his house, he gave up his house to the cats on those snow days 3-4 years ago.He was a mad dog.

Parents Labrador is the same, never comes inside except for storms as he hates them, he doesn't have the fur or the same size but being doing fine like that for 10 years

Our Labrador is different, she sleeps in kitchen or laundry room everynight, she'd sleep in our bed if she could.

Well one was rescued by my cousin who then gave her to me as she was worried the person she rescued it from would get it back and the other one I rescued myself as it was been mistreated and left outside all the time a couple of years ago around Christmas sooking wet and cold so I took him in and the owners agreed to let me have him as it was not working out for them. When I took him in he was afraid of everyone and angry but he is a very happy spoilt dog now. He is still quite shy do.

What about the heated pad I suggested?

• Advertisement
    Ms

What about the heated pad I suggested?

I looked at it. I might get it. How reliable are they do?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

They are good, but still yorkies have a very thin coat , like the hair on a humans head, they aren’t suited to being out doors in the winter. In terms of the mess if brought indoors, crate train them. Yes, they may mess the first couple of nights but if properly trained it will stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Anyone else think that a dog panting while sitting down at rest because of central heating is borderline cruelty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

ganmo wrote: »
    Anyone else think that a dog panting while sitting down at rest because of central heating is borderline cruelty?

You mean the one time they brought the dog in as legend goes in these threads? Do people who leave their dogs out have the house like a furnace with the heat on? :p

My dog lies under the radiator cooking himself when it’s on and I often put a fleece coat on him during the day as our house is so cold and draughty.

I feel i’d be doing a disservice to CAM by not pointing out that panting at rest - especially in the evenings - is often a sign of pain. So if somebody was to dismiss their imaginary dog’s pain as them being too hot then yes that might be a bit cruel..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

tk123 wrote: »
    I feel i’d be doing a disservice to CAM by not pointing out that panting at rest - especially in the evenings - is often a sign of pain. So if somebody was to dismiss their imaginary dog’s pain as them being too hot then yes that might be a bit cruel..

Every days a school day

• Advertisement

a good hot water bottle in a fleece cover would also relieve the chill and the door closed at an angle to avoid the draught getting in . dogs do adjust but these are so small id prefer the crate inside and then moved out of your way out side during the day.

i have a whippet rescued from appalling circumstances bald from mange so cold he was curling up in the embers of a fire in an encampment of our native ethnic peoples. today he cannot support any chill or cold and wont even go out to pee if its raining has to have a coat he adores heat and comfort like no other dog i have ever had. small dogs and light / tthin skinned dogs love the heat.

tk123 wrote: »
    You mean the one time they brought the dog in as legend goes in these threads? Do people who leave their dogs out have the house like a furnace with the heat on? :p

My dog lies under the radiator cooking himself when it’s on and I often put a fleece coat on him during the day as our house is so cold and draughty.

Panting was the first alert that my wee dog;s heart was starting to fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Graces7 wrote: »
    Panting was the first alert that my wee dog;s heart was starting to fail.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

You have to treat every dog differently. I would keep a yorkie in at night from September to April. On the other hand, my big old collie cross slept outside for fifteen years. And I mean outside, under all weather. Then, all of a sudden, a few months ago he decided that he wants to stay in at night... and he is most welcome. It's always been his choice.

polesheep wrote: »
    You have to treat every dog differently. I would keep a yorkie in at night from September to April. On the other hand, my big old collie cross slept outside for fifteen years. And I mean outside, under all weather. Then, all of a sudden, a few months ago he decided that he wants to stay in at night... and he is most welcome. It's always been his choice.

age is honourable and now hes feeling the cold in his bones what a clever dog you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

age is honourable and now hes feeling the cold in his bones what a clever dog you have.

It started in the summer so I have a feeling that it's more to do with contact. He has always followed me everywhere. When in the house in the evening he will follow me from room to room. He even gets up if I go to put the kettle on. I'm going to miss him big time when he's gone. Provided he goes before me, of course.:)

polesheep wrote: »
    It started in the summer so I have a feeling that it's more to do with contact. He has always followed me everywhere. When in the house in the evening he will follow me from room to room. He even gets up if I go to put the kettle on. I'm going to miss him big time when he's gone. Provided he goes before me, of course.:)

i have a 14 year terrier and she is now called stalker she clings to me i see a little bit of cloudiness in her eyes and i think her hearing is only random when food bags are open so she is aware of her loss of senses and thence clings to me. But they do definately become needy in the years from 12 onwards. shes greedy heedless and sings from the top of her voice when i come in from maybe a 15 minute job outside shes adorable. elder dogs melt my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Tangleytuftles

I don't think keeping dogs outside is abuse IF:
    They have an insulated area to stay.
    They are older than 9 months.
    They choose to stay outside.
    They're more than 10 kilos(anything under 10 kgs isn't big enough to keep themselves warm imo).
    Some breeds like great pyrenees go mental inside.
    Some individuals don't like inside and some individuals don't like outside.
    My dogs mother(border collie) sleeps happily in an insulated garage with free roam of the farms acreage. My dog got given to me because he's not an outside dog like at all. He cries in the rain, has allergies that make his expenses too crippling to be a farm dog and he just doesn't like the outside without his people. I've always told my mother that past a certain age(once they've matured and their adult coat has grown in) my dogs will get the choice of inside or outside. Mine is comfortable and happiest inside with his people but his mother was not. All dogs are different and that's okay.
    However if they clamour to be inside let them in, potty training is a thing and you signed up for accidents when you decided to get a dog. Replacing a door so you can have a doggy door isn't that hard. Just get a wood door that fits, cut it according to the doggy door instructions and install while stashing the glass door away safely. You don't wreck a glass door and they get to come in and out.

Many years ago when we started caring for the collie no one else seemed to care for ( had been given to our landlord's father after the mother died but he had no interest and never spent a night at the house) she had been left out in all weathers.
    Chained up.

Slowly we got her used to being indoors. First the back porch, where she nested! Then the kitchen with my other dog.

Out during the day. Unless bad weather.

They are adaptable. Also very clean. Never a worry on that score. Balance the needs of dog and owner..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Don't keep dogs if you aren't willing to let them live in your home.

It's animal cruelty. I doubt you worry about them too much if you're willing to do that.

Especially a tiny thin breed like that that was never made to live outside in the first place. Why do you keep pets?

It's animal cruelty to participate in the pet industry at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement