Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any generous photoshoppers??

Options
  • 23-08-2020 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

Hello gifted photo people,

I've a few photographs on my phone, either taken on mine or sent to me via WhatsApp of either my daughter, or me and my daughter or my wife and daughter.

I'd like to get a few printed and thrown in a frame. I'm not talking blowing them up huge or anything but I'd like a nice print, maybe 7x5, maybe even basic 6x4.

Thing is I know if someone with some editing skills had a quick go at them that they'd "pop" better. Just wondering if there are any generous people here who wouldn't mind tweaking some pics for me to make them a little more vibrant or stand out that little bit more. As I said, they're nothing fancy so maybe nothing much can be done, but I'm sure even somebody who knew how to manipulate brightness and contrast and saturation effectively could improve them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Hello gifted photo people,

I've a few photographs on my phone, either taken on mine or sent to me via WhatsApp of either my daughter, or me and my daughter or my wife and daughter.

I'd like to get a few printed and thrown in a frame. I'm not talking blowing them up huge or anything but I'd like a nice print, maybe 7x5, maybe even basic 6x4.

Thing is I know if someone with some editing skills had a quick go at them that they'd "pop" better. Just wondering if there are any generous people here who wouldn't mind tweaking some pics for me to make them a little more vibrant or stand out that little bit more. As I said, they're nothing fancy so maybe nothing much can be done, but I'm sure even somebody who knew how to manipulate brightness and contrast and saturation effectively could improve them.

Try out the Adobe Photoshop express app. It's free, quick and easy to use

• Registered Users Posts: 18,908 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This isn’t what you’re asking but I just wanted to point out WhatsApp will really compress photos so if you can get the originals at full size they will be much higher quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Try out the Adobe Photoshop express app. It's free, quick and easy to use

Will try it out in a while thanks. Hopefully it has good preset filters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

Ask whoever took the photos to email you the full size files rather than the compressed Whatsapp version, will print much better that way with a small little bit of processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Snapseed is also a very good app for editing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

This isn’t what you’re asking but I just wanted to point out WhatsApp will really compress photos so if you can get the originals at full size they will be much higher quality.

Gmail will also compress the photos unless you ask it not to. So if you they email them be aware of that. Something like a shared dropbox would be better.

If you are editing them, you want start with as high quality as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

beauf wrote: »
    Gmail will also compress the photos unless you ask it not to. So if you they email them be aware of that. Something like a shared dropbox would be better.

If you are editing them, you want start with as high quality as you can get.

Gmail will only compress/resize an image if it is inline (in the body of the email). When it is sent as attachment it doesn't change the resolution.

Funny was trying to send a load of images the other day it was zipping them up and I could have sworn it gave me a prompt it would reduce quality and better to use google drive instead.

These were attachments not inline.

Funny was trying to send a load of images the other day it was zipping them up and I could have sworn it gave me a prompt it would reduce quality and better to use google drive instead.

These were attachments not inline.

Zipping is lossless. It will take repeated pixels storing them once and encode them, when they're decoded the repeated pixels are put back in the same spot they were in.

I know how zips work. A message from Gmail has nothing to do with that. Doesn't matter the point was made about being careful about quality..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

send me a pm with a link i'll have a go :)

I know how zips work. A message from Gmail has nothing to do with that. Doesn't matter the point was made about being careful about quality..

The explanation was for the benefit of others!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JoshN1

Terrific, it seems the author is a real pro! I always liked creative works like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

What a disgusting post. Go on Fiver and pay someone to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

What a disgusting post. Go on Fiver and pay someone to do it

Tbh, have to agree.

OP, what industry do you work in yourself? How do you think your earning potential would be effected if lads were going on the internet and asking people to do the job for them for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

sheepsh4gger and El Tarangau,

Grab a hold of yourselves would ye. "disgusting" post! I'm not asking if anyone will do my wedding photos or produce a catalogue or even take a photograph ffs.

As for what I do, I produce architectural and engineering drawings and models and have engaged with people many times for free with some advice and help outside of work, including through boards. I like aspects of my job and am happy to help others who share that interest.

You miserable bastards is all I can say, really.

Heartfelt thanks to those offering pointers and help, it's nice to be nice.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Ok, we're done here. I think OP has had good direction and some helpful advice.

FWIW, I don't see this forum having a problem with an occasional, reasonable request to help out with a entirely minor piece of editing for family snaps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement