Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: @ Storm 10 - merged your thread. Not sure we need a dedicated thread for a yellow level rain warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭New Era

What's happening with our weather this weekend? From reading MT Cranium's brilliant reports this morning, it appears that we could a mix of intense rain showers and stormy weather in the west and northwest, in particular on Sunday.

Is it true that there's a storm brewing in the Atlantic and could hit South west England, late Thursday or early Friday?

And are we heading for quite unseasonable cold weather later this week and next week too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Gale warning in the mix now, still think it should have its own thread, now if was hitting Dublin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/flood-risk-as-met-eireann-issue-intense-rainfall-and-gale-warning-39571934.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A separate thread for a yellow warning rain or wind event is not needed, we get yellow level rain warnings almost weekly throughout the year in this country! An event usually get's it's own thread if we see it has the capabilities of becoming an orange level wind warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Looking at the photo on that report it seems that blindness may be an issue too.

Should we open a dedicated thread for that? :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Gonzo wrote: »
    we get yellow level rain warnings almost weekly throughout the year in this country!

I think they issue too many warnings these days. Whenever there's a weather system, they almost always issue a warning just for a harmless bit of rain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The chilly weather over the past week has really crashed the temperature anomolies. Just over a week ago Dunsany had a mean temperature of 15.1C, this has come down by a full 2C over the past week and is now sitting at 13.1C which is 0.1C above average for September, with 1 more day to go this month we will probably finish at exactly 13C for September. Rainfall is sitting at 54mm which is the driest month we've had since May.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,747 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Beautiful day and beautiful evening in Dublin

Cloudy/sunny in wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Lovely day in Dublin but feeling quite cold while out for my after work walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

Lovely day in East Clare, wind picked up an hour ago and the rain has just started..fair wintry outside now.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

A windy, wet night in Mayo now and 11c.
    Thankfully, there was some lovely colour in the eastern sky this morning before the darkening greyness rolled in during the afternoon.

527874.jpg

Overall, I have been pleased with what September has offered up to now weather wise in these parts. We had a couple of good weekends with nice blue skies and great visibility that showed the countryside at it's best. That autumnal coolness also crept in and we got a decent early frost out of it. We did have a period of grey blandness for a while but at least it was not accompanied by deluges of rain. Some of the local rivers and lakes were able to shed a bit of water this month after the legacy of the Irish summer that saw many at quite high levels for the time of year.
    We also had a number of welcome clear nights that allowed good views of Jupiter, Saturn and Mars as well the night sky in general. The previous two months were quite frustrating at times for doing a bit of stargazing. I thought that I was going to miss the comet at one stage during the summer due to many cloudy nights but luckily the skies did clear for a night or two but even then the optimum period for viewing had slipped by.
    Personally, there is something that I like about the light and shades as summer turns to autumn. I was on Lough Conn yesterday and the evening light here in the West was good for the soul.
    The form horse of wind and rain is back in town outside tonight. I just hope that we don't get stuck with it indefinitely!

527875.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wet and windy night since about 8pm in cork city. Not nice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Wet and windy night since about 8pm in cork city. Not nice.

Extremely heavy rain all night.
    Should be clearing soon.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Extremely heavy rain all night.
    Should be clearing soon.

Cleared at around 5.30 but I slept through most of it. Any idea how much rain fell last night in total? It's been a weird trend that even with the dry months we've had, we've had a deluge towards the end of the month to skew the stats. I would imagine we were heading for a very dry September until last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Rotten morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

heavy rain in Dublin 5, reminds me of this day last year!

Dull this morning but a few patches of blue sky, after a good bit of rain last night. Was going to be quite a dry month before last night.

Wet in the West but not the Northwest

18mm Belmullet
    5mm Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Ground got a fair soaking last night. Will likely stay that way until next year now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

National mean temperature (ran over a 7 day period) since June 1st. Real drop in temps in the last week which really marked the end of Summer 2020.

4NPuCue.png

Data C/O Met Eireann.

New Moon

biblical rain here in Dunshaughlin, rain absolutely hammering down and surface water everywhere with gutters overflowing violently.

This is the heaviest rain i've seen in many years in this area, after just 20 minutes garden and driveway is completely flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Storm Alex set to "hit" Ireland on Thursday night/Friday/Saturday - sounds like a delightful weekend in store :(:D

The French Met office named it.

http://www.rte.ie/news/weather/2020/0930/1168482-storm-alex/

Dull today in south wexford. I presume this rain is the start of another winter of deluges?

Dull today in south wexford. I presume this rain is the start of another winter of deluges?

not necessarily, the next 7 to 14 days do look extremely wet but hopefully it does not end up being a 6 month deluge repeat of September 2019 to February 2020.

The second half of October is a bit up in the air at the moment as northern blocking looks like it's going to get going and it remains to be seen how unsettled that will play out for us, it's going to be a fairly chilly month and a few northerly shots cannot be ruled out. If the chilly theme continues right to the end of October I wouldn't be surprised to see a wintry mix on the highest peaks in the 3rd or 4th week of October.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    National mean temperature (ran over a 7 day period) since June 1st. Real drop in temps in the last week which really marked the end of Summer 2020.

4NPuCue.png

Data C/O Met Eireann.

Interesting to see late August September the warmest of the "Summer"

I think October WILL be a washout. Maybe some rain will miss us but if it all hits it will be at least 1.5 times wetter than normal.

Maybe it will be dry and mild in time for Winter. Temperatures of 10c look frequent in October too. Not many days above the 12 to 14c we normally get

pauldry wrote: »
    Interesting to see late August September the warmest of the "Summer"

I think October WILL be a washout. Maybe some rain will miss us but if it all hits it will be at least 1.5 times wetter than normal.

Maybe it will be dry and mild in time for Winter. Temperatures of 10c look frequent in October too. Not many days above the 12 to 14c we normally get

I agree, something tells me that October will be yet another month of above average rainfall totals. This will be a problem as the ground still hasn't properly dried out from the summer deluges even though September was a bit dryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Not a bad day in Letterkenny to close out what turned into a very nice month. One heavy shower this morning but dry since around 10am and a nice calm sunny evening now.

still raining steadily here in Meath, today was a complete and utter write off and easily the worst day of September, lots of waterlogging in gardens with today's deluges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

What a day to end Sept on!

After a glorious month today was easily the worse day.

Plenty of rain out there today.

Advertisement