Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT question

Options
  • 29-09-2020 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi
    So my nct has got the covid extension until febuary but my car will turn 10 years old on the sixth of next month i was wondering would i be better off putting it through the test before the sixth and would i get 2 years out of it then rather then wait til febuary and would i get a year
    thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭Allinall

bdonnelly1 wrote: »
    Hi
    So my nct has got the covid extension until febuary but my car will turn 10 years old on the sixth of next month i was wondering would i be better off putting it through the test before the sixth and would i get 2 years out of it then rather then wait til febuary and would i get a year
    thanks a million

That's what I would be doing.

You should get two years from 06th October 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Yep, better to test & get the 2 years instead of the 1.
    (was delighted to pass recently & get the 2 years on my 10 yr car :)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭zg3409

bdonnelly1 wrote: »
    Hi
    thanks a million

Yes I did just that, however you may have trouble getting a test date, and in theory car needs to fully pass before it is 10 years old.

Tricks to get sooner test dates, try multiple test centres all around. Try after 10pm at night as cancellations may be put up then. Another option is to ring nct, wait on hold 20 minutes, ask for cancellation list and they typically text you a random time within 2 weeks.

Note even if your car is slightly over 10 years old you may still get 2 year nct as an allowance as centres were closed for covid and people could not get there on time. So if it ends up over 10 then ask for 2 year cert. I have not seen it in writing but it happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭robie5

Also your test is outside the 90 days of Feb so expiry will be the 6th Oct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭lucalux

If you want an NCT at short notice I suggest checking after 9.30pm each night when they release cancellations back into the booking system.
    Booked an NCT last week doing that, all spots gone into Nov at first, but I got one for 2days away.

It helps if you're willing to travel to nearby centres also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i got an nct extension notice until february, however the car is a uk import and the nct is due this october but that would give me 2 years until 10/2022 when the car will be 9 years old , i would then get a 2 year cert in 10/2022.

however if i test in feb 2021 the car will be 10 years old in feb 2023 and only get a 1 year cert

think im correct ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭Allinall

i got an nct extension notice until february, however the car is a uk import and the nct is due this october but that would give me 2 years until 10/2022 when the car will be 9 years old , i would then get a 2 year cert in 10/2022.

however if i test in feb 2021 the car will be 10 years old in feb 2023 and only get a 1 year cert

think im correct ?

Try and get a test more than 90 days before the February 2021 date.
    If you get tested and pass on, say 05th October 2020, you will get a two year cert bringing you up to 05th October 2022. ( when the car is still not at it's 10th anniversary)

You should then get another two years to bring you up to 05th October 2024.

Note, it must be more than 90 days before the revised February date, otherwise the cert. will be dated February, and that will be your new test date.

Alternatively, you can wait until the February 2023 test date, and put it through up to three months early. If you get in before the car hits it's 10th anniversary, you will get another two year cert.

Advertisement