Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Quotes

Options
  • 30-09-2020 1:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Famous or otherwise. Thought provoking or tear jerking. Post some of your favourite inspirational gobbledegook here.

I'll start:

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right." -Henry Ford

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Famous or otherwise. Thought provoking or tear jerking. Post some of your favourite inspirational gobbledegook here.

I'll start:

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right." -Henry Ford

"Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think" - Socrates (?)

"The meaning of life is that it ends" - Kafka

"Outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

" I'll **** you till you love me, bitch"
    Mike Tyson

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

And one more:

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
    ― George Orwell

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gamergurll

"beauty fades, dumb is forever"
    Judge Judy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett (Jingo)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

" I'll **** you till you love me, bitch"
    Mike Tyson

Also from the sage of Brooklyn: "I'm gonna punch his nose into his brain."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

"Britain used to rule the waves, now they just waive the rules"

- Gerry Adams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

"€350 fully comp."

- 07 VW Golf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

"If you gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough... if you get knocked down, you better get back up!"

Lyrics of some song I can't remember!

Tis some fine wisdom though. :)

• Advertisement

My favorites:

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

Men, their rights, and nothing more. Women, their rights and nothing less - Susan B Anthony

If you think you're too small to make a difference... try sleeping with a mosquito in the room. - Dalai Lama

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize - Voltaire.

All talk of women's rights is moonshine. Women have every right. They have only to exercise them - Victoria Woodhull.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

"If you gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough... if you get knocked down, you better get back up!"

Was on Jackass I believe. I actually sing this to my little one when she has hurt herself doing something stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Webuser.

"Your father was run over by a trolley, right?"

Carmine Snr.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭worded

Buy a man a fish and you feed him for a day

Buy a man a fishing rod and he can sell it and buy a bag of cans

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

I believe it was played at the end of one of the Jack Ass movies . . .
    Anyway, back on topic . . .

"It's so simple to be wise… just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it" - Homer J Simpson

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Floats like a float bot, stings like an automated stinging machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

"Happiness is not a destination to be reached, it's a way of life and a conscious choice you make everyday!"

"Life is 10% what happens, and 90% how you react to it."

"A deliberate and determined act of personal revolution, is more powerful than any social reform!"

"You cannot legislate love, it must come from deep within or not at all"

"Life is 10% what happens, and 90% how you react to it."
    "

That one is really good. I'm stealing it. Cheers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

"I'm an atheist, thank God"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Gamergurll wrote: »
    "beauty fades, dumb is forever"
    Judge Judy.

I think I'll add one of my own here.

"Judge Judy is a geebag"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I put this in another quotes thread before but saw it when I was in my early teens and it kinda steered my direction into trying different things.

“Life is a great big canvas; throw all the paint you can on it.” Danny Kaye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

"I fear the Greeks, even those sharing quotes on the internet" - Confucius

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society.

Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. ...We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of. This is a logical result of the way in which our democratic society is organized. Vast numbers of human beings must cooperate in this manner if they are to live together as a smoothly functioning society.

...In almost every act of our daily lives, whether in the sphere of politics or business, in our social conduct or our ethical thinking, we are dominated by the relatively small number of persons...who understand the mental processes and social patterns of the masses. It is they who pull the wires which control the public mind.

- Edward Bernays - Propaganda

The statesman who should attempt to direct private people in what manner they ought to employ their capitals, would not only load himself with a most unnecessary attention, but assume an authority which could safely be trusted, not only to no single person, but to no council or senate whatever, and which would nowhere be so dangerous as in the hands of a man who had folly and presumption enough to fancy himself fit to exercise it.
    - Adam Smith on Joan Burton

I tore myself away from the safe comfort of certainties through my love for truth - and truth rewarded me.
    - Simone de Beauvoir

I have often thought that if a rational Fascist dictatorship were to exist, then it would choose the American system.
    - Noam Chomsky

Social order at the expense of liberty is hardly a bargain.
    - Marquis de Sade

Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil.
    - Machievelli

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

That would be an Ecumenical Matter - Fr Jack Hackett

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well I have others

Groucho Marx

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

A dialogue attributed to Confucius:

"What is love?" one of his followers asked him.

"To love mankind, that is love," he replied.

"But what is it?"

"To hold dear the effort more than the prize may be called love. The joy of doing something not for the prize one would get in the end, but for the joy itself, that may be called love. To do good not because you are going to be rewarded for it in this life or in a life to come, but to do good because you enjoy doing good, that is to love good. Love is its own reward. Love makes all things possible. Love offers peace. When love is at stake, my children, yield not to an army."

He thought for a while, then added:
    "A heart set on love can do no wrong!"

Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there, and finding it.

Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

“Don't eat the yellow snow.”

• Advertisement
Advertisement