Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You should still be able to use the same Ubisoft account for that sort of thing I'm pretty sure.

Thanks, that does make sense, as long as I’m logging into the same publisher account on whatever console

I suppose I’m just nervous of starting to divide my game library and then suffering as a result...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭djan

A 60hz screen will be more than enough for even the Series X for most games as they will run at 60fps 4k. Even with that I am a bit skeptical of the X being able to handle 60fps 4k on next gen games unless raytracing etc. will be hugely turned down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Series S finally seems to be out of stock on microsoft.com. I'm hoping digital foundry et al get their hands on one soon, would like to see what kind of performance it gets compared to the X stuff we saw yesterday. If it really is the "same" bar at 1440p vs 4k it's a no brainer for me.

Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing them test it, hopefully it'll be soon. If the Series S can do everything the Series X can at 1440p it'll be a great piece of kit but I have my doubts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

xtal191 wrote: »
    If the Series S can do everything the Series X can at 1440p it'll be a great piece of kit but I have my doubts

I would highly doubt the S can do everything the X can do at 1440p. Infact i would bet my Series X on it. The numbers don't add up.

CPU wise, both consoles are there or there abouts with the X having a slightly higher clock. So I dont see the CPU being an issue.

But the GPU and RAM is a different story.

Series X - 12.15 Teraflops, 52 CUs
    Series S - 4 Teraflops, 20 CUs

One X - 6 Teraflops, 40 CUs

I know the architecture is massively different from the One X to the Series S BUT i know alot of people who are buying the Series S for Gamepass and backward compatibility. So that means the games that are going to be played are previous Gen and wont make use of the velocity architecture. Instead the Series S will be running in "Compatibility" mode just like the Series X so I really cant see the S having a massive advantage over the current One X. The CPU will make a difference though.

The RAM clocks are also significantly slower on the Series S compared to the Series X and there is less RAM. It is clear that from watching reviews and from reading tech anaylsis, it's the RAM that is kinda causing a bottle neck this time around. We have massive leaps in GPU and SSD, but the same cant be said for Memory.

Couple slower Memory, less Memory and a significantly slower GPU on the S and I don't see how it can compete with the Series X, even at 1440p.

I still think the Series S for the money is an amazing console and it will give gamers access to next gen titles that will make use of the velocity architecture. But purely as a game pass and backward compatibility device, the jury is still very much out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

ZiabR wrote: »
    I would highly doubt the S can do everything the X can do at 1440p. Infact i would bet my Series X on it. The numbers don't add up.

CPU wise, both consoles are there or there abouts with the X having a slightly higher clock. So I dont see the CPU being an issue.

But the GPU and RAM is a different story.

Series X - 12.15 Teraflops, 52 CUs
    Series S - 4 Teraflops, 20 CUs

One X - 6 Teraflops, 40 CUs

I know the architecture is massively different from the One X to the Series S BUT i know alot of people who are buying the Series S for Gamepass and backward compatibility. So that means the games that are going to be played are previous Gen and wont make use of the velocity architecture. Instead the Series S will be running in "Compatibility" mode just like the Series X so I really cant see the S having a massive advantage over the current One X. The CPU will make a difference though.

The RAM clocks are also significantly slower on the Series S compared to the Series X and there is less RAM. It is clear that from watching reviews and from reading tech anaylsis, it's the RAM that is kinda causing a bottle neck this time around. We have massive leaps in GPU and SSD, but the same cant be said for Memory.

Couple slower Memory, less Memory and a significantly slower GPU on the S and I don't see how it can compete with the Series X, even at 1440p.

I still think the Series S for the money is an amazing console and it will give gamers access to next gen titles that will make use of the velocity architecture. But purely as a game pass and backward compatibility device, the jury is still very much out.

At a wild guess the CPU is far, far superior than what was in the One X so they must be using that more in the series S and in the One X they used GPU grunt.
    Also the GPU in the Series X/S is better also than what was in the One X.

Also the GPU in the Series X/S is better also than what was in the One X.

But not necessarily in compatibility mode, which is what it will run in for previous gen games. Series X is dropping frames in compatibility mode and we know its running at full clock speed. So the S will drop more based on its lower clock speeds and less RAM. That being said you cant run One X enhanced games on the Series S so it will be impossible to do a direct comparison of the One X and Series S.

So it would seem the comparisons are going to be Series X / One X and Series S / One S.

The CPU is on par with the PS5, actually slightly better. GPU short comings are offset by targeting 1440p, upscaled to 4k.

I know on my own PC the performance hit of 1440p over 1080p is huge and I know its the same going 1440p to 4k.

Will be interesting how the tests go but I'd be fairly optimistic.

Hope I hurt nobody's feelings here: Prefer XBox over PS5 myself - Eli the computer guy's take on the state of affairs stateside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Def3Cm6Xxw8

Hope I hurt nobody's feelings here: Prefer XBox over PS5 myself - Eli the computer guy's take on the state of affairs stateside

Is it an inventory problem or just that they physically can't all be shipped and delivered on time? Im guessing the later.

There's also the very real possibility that you won't get one this side of Christmas. Is that hype or production delays due to a global pandemic?

On the flip side, I see no reason to delay ordering. Why would I bother waiting? Its been no hassle at all. I walked into a shop and ordered it, simple. I even went online 2 days ago and ordered a Series S for somebody else, no hassle whatsoever even at this late stage. Few clicks on a website, credit card details, done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Stichy

I pre-ordered from Microsoft.com but who actually delivers the console is it a courier like DPD or An Post? if anyone knows maybe someone who ordered a one x with them and sorry if this was already asked. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Stichy wrote: »
    I pre-ordered from Microsoft.com but who actually delivers the console is it a courier like DPD or An Post? if anyone knows maybe someone who ordered a one x with them and sorry if this was already asked. Cheers
    UPS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭recyclops

Hesbnotnwronng with his take on the everything now generation and the fact they are more interested in creating "content" than playing games.

His December 25st joke at start was bang in the money for me, it was actually a console to share with my brothers not this console each malarkey you hear about nowadays

recyclops wrote: »
    Hesbnotnwronng with his take on the everything now generation and the fact they are more interested in creating "content" than playing games.

His December 25st joke at start was bang in the money for me, it was actually a console to share with my brothers not this console each malarkey you hear about nowadays

I dunno. It's true when you were a kid that you had to wait for something like that from your parents, but I can remember putting down a deposit and queueing up for midnight launch of the PS2. I was still a student, but old enough to save and pay for it myself at that stage.

These days gaming isn't just a kids thing. There's plenty of adults with disposable income who are the ones driving this whole preorder thing. I can guarantee virtually every kid under 10 on my street who wants the new console will be waiting until Xmas, just like he did when he was a kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭recyclops

Kid under 10 for sure but kids up to 16 should be too unless they have saved a fair whack , I was still sharing consoles when ps2 came out and I was just 16.

Ps I may have hit report by accident on your post haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

recyclops wrote: »
    Kid under 10 for sure but kids up to 16 should be too unless they have saved a fair whack , I was still sharing consoles when ps2 came out and I was just 16.

Ps I may have hit report by accident on your post haha

Same, PS2 was the first big console I bought. It wasn't even for me, I got it for my brother for his 21st. We already shared a PS2 so I ended up with the original one, which then ended up with the dreaded disc read error.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Completed my trade in for the One S(€138) and the PS4 Pro(€287.50), got a combined €425.50 trade value leaving me with €24.50 to pay off for the Series X.

Where was this?

Same, PS2 was the first big console I bought. It wasn't even for me, I got it for my brother for his 21st. We already shared a PS2 so I ended up with the original one, which then ended up with the dreaded disc read error.

My first console was a used SNES in 1998. I was 14. I had two games.

Then my younger brother got a Gamecube for Christmas years later and I played with it more than he did and bought nearly all the games we had for it. That's when I started playing games properly and bought a second hand original Xbox, then onto Xbox 360, PC gaming then Xbox One. And a Xbox One X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,043 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Do we think more X's will be made available for pre order before release date? If so what sites should I keep an eye on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭Homelander

I got a NES when I was so young I don't even remember getting it....just remember playing it as a kid.

• Advertisement

Where was this?

GameStop.

The trade boost for the PS4 Pro ends tomorrow.

€250 trade atm plus 5-15% depending on your membership level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

GameStop.

The trade boost for the PS4 Pro ends tomorrow.

€250 trade atm plus 5-15% depending on your membership level.

Is the trade boost for other consoles as well? Did you get more for your Xbox S as well, for example?

druss wrote: »
    Is the trade boost for other consoles as well? Did you get more for your Xbox S as well, for example?

I did not receive more for the Xbox One S, only the PS4 Pro and the Nintendo Switch are boosted to €250.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I did not receive more for the Xbox One S, only the PS4 Pro and the Nintendo Switch are boosted to €250.

Cheers. I am trading in my One X. My Switch is staying put.

No need for me to run into town tomorrow so, other than that the tradable games might change on Thursday!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Thanks again for pointing out that GS deal.
    Just wondering, how did you deal with PS5 possibly not being able to use saves from PS4? Seems to be the case with a lot of games from news recently.

I’m considering trading mine in today, but if I put all my saves on a USB and they end up not working with PS5 I’ll be gutted...

Thanks again for pointing out that GS deal.
    Just wondering, how did you deal with PS5 possibly not being able to use saves from PS4? Seems to be the case with a lot of games from news recently.

I’m considering trading mine in today, but if I put all my saves on a USB and they end up not working with PS5 I’ll be gutted...

It should be able to use PS4 saves with PS4 games. The issue seems to be that most PS4 saves are not compatible with the PS5 native version.

The only game that has stated save compatibility is Spider-Man Miles Morales, all others have said they'll be incompatible.

• Advertisement

Do we think more X's will be made available for pre order before release date? If so what sites should I keep an eye on?

There was a tweet from Xbox to say expect more stock for launch day, so I would keep a look out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, but do we know does the Series X have the same HDMI input feature as the XB1?

So you can plug in your skybox, chrome cast etc and view it via the one guide?

Id actually find this feature a lot more useful than that quick resume thing (no idea why Id ever even use it tbh)

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭wexdevil

I think there is only one HDMI port on the back of the box so I dont think so.

joe123 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, but do we know does the Series X have the same HDMI input feature as the XB1?

Id actually find this feature a lot more useful than that quick resume thing (no idea why Id ever even use it tbh)

No HDMI in, only HDMI out.

There is a wireless display app on the Xbox that you can cast your videos and music too, no need for a Chrome Cast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,512 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

ZiabR wrote: »
    No HDMI in, only HDMI out.

Boooooooooo! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 BigGpu380

I love everything about the console except for the fact that they removed the optical port. Why.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

BigGpu380 wrote: »
    I love everything about the console except for the fact that they removed the optical port. Why.. :(

It's too limiting and HDMI is taking over as it has the bandwidth and works with all the latest audio formats.

https://www.cnet.com/news/is-the-optical-cable-dying/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I did use it a lot on the original One and it worked very well in combination with the Kinect voice commands. The upgrade to the X killed it though (along with killing off of Kinect obviously) as that adapter thing never worked right for me so I flogged it with the Kinect for about £100 iirc. Since then the virgin media box got connected directly to the TV and I never gave the HDMI-In a second look.

It's funny that Amazon are trying to sell an additional box these days that does what the xbox did 7 years ago but very few wanted - does that make the xbox one ahead of it's time???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Same with the PS5. Irritating, as my Creative G6 was great to use with both my PC and console. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

theteal wrote: »
    It's funny that Amazon are trying to sell an additional box these days that does what the xbox did 7 years ago but very few wanted - does that make the xbox one ahead of it's time???

In retrospect, I'm inclined to say yes, their marketing was absolutely horrific, but looking back at some of the ideas they had, such as friend and family groups where everyone could share games,We eventually got a watered down version where you could gameshare, but it was never an official thing promoted to the general public. they were definitely ahead of their time, the problem being they were too far ahead of their time, people balked at the idea of online check ins, whereas live games such as division or destiny have made the idea of an offline console kind of laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

It's too limiting and HDMI is taking over as it has the bandwidth and works with all the latest audio formats.

https://www.cnet.com/news/is-the-optical-cable-dying/

I have a soundbar that doesn't have HDMI so that's not an option. I'm not sure whether I should just run an optical cable directly from the projector to the soundbar or get something like this? I don't know much about it myself but I'm wondering would either option cause audio lag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

dor83 wrote: »
    I have a soundbar that doesn't have HDMI so that's not an option. I'm not sure whether I should just run an optical cable directly from the projector to the soundbar or get something like this? I don't know much about it myself but I'm wondering would either option cause audio lag?

There is a chance there is audio lag but this can be sync'd on the tv. This could cause input latency to increase though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

In retrospect, I'm inclined to say yes, their marketing was absolutely horrific, but looking back at some of the ideas they had, such as friend and family groups where everyone could share games,We eventually got a watered down version where you could gameshare, but it was never an official thing promoted to the general public. they were definitely ahead of their time, the problem being they were too far ahead of their time, people balked at the idea of online check ins, whereas live games such as division or destiny have made the idea of an offline console kind of laughable.

Well wasn't that part of the problem. That the 'One' in "Xbox One" was meant that this was the one box with Kinnect that did everything for you. TV, video streaming, social media ,oh and a little bit of DRM gaming.
    Was a marketing disaster.

In comes Spencer, the gamer, and has brought Xbox to being firstly a gaming console and other functions are secondary which is what it should be.

I don't really see it as a problem to have TV on it's own as Sky and VM have their own streaming programs that wouldn't show up on Xbox menu.

New Xbox is purely gaming now which is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭bazzz

druss wrote: »
    Cheers. I am trading in my One X. My Switch is staying put.

No need for me to run into town tomorrow so, other than that the tradable games might change on Thursday!

I did it today in GS, Xbox One X and three of the list games. Got €326 in total,
    using my level four card. Then just paid off the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,043 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Same with the PS5. Irritating, as my Creative G6 was great to use with both my PC and console. :rolleyes:

Same I hope there is a workaround Astro are saying there wil be for PS5 I'm sure they can output via USB and the dac in the G6 will do the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I was doing my online grocery shopping on tesco.ie and saw they have page to express interest to pre-order a PS5 and Series X:

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/expressinterest/

You will need to log in first and then that link will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Another dopey question but will 4K 60hz be ok for this xbox, that’s my limit at the moment and I have no plans to replace my screen?

Vudgie wrote: »
    Another dopey question but will 4K 60hz be ok for this xbox, that’s my limit at the moment and I have no plans to replace my screen?

That is the limit for the new Xbox anyway in triple A games. I'm sure in less demanding games they may be able to push higher but 4k 60Hz is way better than previous consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Vudgie wrote: »
    So far it looks like only shooters and racing games go to 120fps. So 60hz display will be fine for the majority of games. There might be more going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Has anyone got an email off GameStop to say they’ll be getting one on launch day yet? Or to say they won’t be!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Has anyone got an email off GameStop to say they’ll be getting one on launch day yet? Or to say they won’t be!!

If they do I think its only people who ordered online if in store they will get a phone call. Seems to be what is happening with people with the ps5. So I am expecting 2 calls from them as ordered xbox one x and ps5 in 2 different stores. Hopefully call some time this wk or next. Not that confident on the xbox as only ordered in store on launch day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 BigGpu380

I'm genuinely surprised by the demand of the Series X. It's awesome to see though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I'm genuinely surprised by the demand of the Series X. It's awesome to see though.

its always going to sell out at this stage, not enough supply

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

IvoryTower wrote: »
    its always going to sell out at this stage, not enough supply

Yeah, there's enough core gamer demand that it was always going to sell out straight away. The far more interesting thing to look out for is when casuals start to upgrade, and will the Series S be a good enough upgrade for them. We'll know how the generation is going to shake out at that stage.

Advertisement