Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tractor not starting

Options
  • 29-09-2020 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

I have a tractor giving trouble.
    Starter was checked and is working fine. Battery seems to be fine.
    Giving a very sluggish attempt and not starting up.
    Any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

Probably be as well to get the battery tested and connections checked.
    If the tractor has a heater plug, is it working properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Is it getting fuel?
    Could fuel filter be blocked?
    Do you have any smoke when you attempt to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭grange mac

Had similar problems and only last wk found my problem.
    check battery, battery cables, starter, alternator, belt and diesel lines .... In my case what was left was the deadman switch which wasn't connecting properly when turned on.
    They only last a few years... To check it just put a wrench on the 2bolts and someone else try turn on tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I know you said you checked the starter. Was there an audible solenoid click? Did you check voltage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

What type tractor. and how old?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

How long is a piece of string in fairness. A bit of detail wouldn't go amiss.
    It could be anything from loose battery connection to blocked fuel line to worn out engine to the finance company disabling the tractor due to lack of payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

Had a similar issue recently. Turned key and lights came on. Never the less it was the battery. Check the connectors and if they are dirty a rub of a wire brush will help. If you can, take out the battery and your local garage will check it out to see what power is in it. No issues now with new battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

I have a tractor giving trouble.
    Starter was checked and is working fine. Battery seems to be fine.
    Giving a very sluggish attempt and not starting up.
    Any ideas

Try giving it a jump start with the positive going straight to the starter cable.
    If it fires up perfect it rules out fuel lines and starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭irishguy19772

Thanks for all the replies. I replaced the battery cable and seems to be starting a little better.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

Thanks for all the replies. I replaced the battery cable and seems to be starting a little better.

No harm in tipping down to the local garage and getting the battery checked to see what power is in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭G-Man

............to the finance company disabling the tractor due to lack of payments.

Wowza, its possible, but is this a thing people sign up to....

I did hear of dealers disabling when it misses warranty service...

What next....they disable it if a u16 touches it , or driven too fast past a herd of cows

Advertisement