Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat lamp for budgies ?

Options
  • 27-09-2020 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Recently had moved our budgies to a different setting than last winter (had to get them out of the office - one of the adaptations needed due to wfh).
    Current room is not as warm at night, so was thinking to supplement with a heat lamp especially now during colder months - any recommendations based on what other ppl are using ? or even when such lamp is more useful ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'd have thought that any room inside a house, even unheated, would be warm enough for budgies, but open to correction on that. Birds are brilliant and keeping warm. Not so good at cooling down though.
    What I will say about heat lamps is that they tend to be expensive to run, and the heat they give off is very localised. But also, and this would be my main concern, it is thought that having a light on overnight disrupts sleeping patterns/rhythms for diurnal animals.
    So, to address all above issues, I think I'd be more inclined to use an oil-filled radiator on colder nights, just to take the edge off any nip in the room without letting it become too warm or stuffy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

DBB wrote: »
    I'd have thought that any room inside a house, even unheated, would be warm enough for budgies, but open to correction on that. Birds are brilliant and keeping warm. Not so good at cooling down though.
    What I will say about heat lamps is that they tend to be expensive to run, and the heat they give off is very localised. But also, and this would be my main concern, it is thought that having a light on overnight disrupts sleeping patterns/rhythms for diurnal animals.
    So, to address all above issues, I think I'd be more inclined to use an oil-filled radiator on colder nights, just to take the edge off any nip in the room without letting it become too warm or stuffy :)

Perfect! We always had a budgie when I was a child; we had a fire in one room only in the house and no heating in the house at night, and never a problem. budgie escapees live fine even in the wild .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Budgies will be fine indoors with no heating. They are pretty hardy creatures as long as no teflon, candles etc are used near them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Thanks all,
    - have to say we have these budgies for 4 years, but the generation before them got sick&died in few months of being with us - the vet at the time suggested we were not keeping them warm as they needed (and that may be a reason they got sick ... - didn't look more into it; the vet unfortunately was not specialized in birds neither)

So since then we are using a blanket to cover our budgies at night. Now I am just wanting to keep them comfortable for this winter after changing their environment. Guess there are more ways to do that, like the idea about supplementing with the radiator instead of buying this.

Advertisement