Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Open 2020

12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It was horrible to watch first Thiem and then Zverev come apart in the first 4 sets. If Thiem did have a problem with his achilles from the start, which I think he did, he deserves enormous respect. The amount of backhand slice he was playing may have been a consequence of that, then favouring that side put strain on the groin on the other side. Zverev second serve problem is terrible. I was cringing every time he had to 2nd serve. Hard to know who can help him to put it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

ESPN's ratings were down 45 percent for the whole event, with the women's final down 43 percent and the men's final down 48 percent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Some delayed comments on the men's final. Overall very happy with the result, I think Thiem needed to win more than Zverev. From Zverev's perspective it was a match of two halfs, first two sets reminded us of why he got to the final and why's he's been such a prospect, the remainder a reminder of what's stopped him being a grand slam contender.

I mean for sure Thiem upped his level big time, but for Zverev to go right back to passive mode when things were no longer going his way was disappointing to see. And as for that tiebreaker when he rolled in a 68 mph second serve on match point.. :o Thiem was clearly just trying to draw errors too but maybe he had an excuse with his achilles? And if the achilles was a big problem then it's encouraging that he managed to will himself over the line in spite of it.

What did ye make of the tournament overall? Whilst I was as sceptical as most were as to whether it was feasible, I must say I enjoyed every bit of it and I think the USTA did an amazing job. I really didn't think they'd pull it off. I totally got used to the lack of crowds too, and whilst I'd obviously like the crowds to return as soon as is safely possible, I can't say it took away from my enjoyment all that much, if at all. There were great matches, great stories and the usual dose of surprises/upsets. I actually enjoyed it a lot more than some of the more recent editions. Highlights for me would be the comebacks of Pironkova, Azarenka and Djokovic's default (yes I am that petty :pac:). On to (hopefully) RG!

Advertisement