Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free Tom Tom Speed Cameras App for UK & Ireland for iPhone/iPad with GPS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

or just drive within the speed limits all of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

OLDLADYDRIVINGBUGGY.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It's relatively pointless.

Static speed cameras don't work here anymore and the mobile safety camera's are mobile so you've no chance of actually knowing where they are. You'll just get a warning telling you that you're in their vicinity with no guarantee that they're there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

MugMugs wrote: »

Static speed cameras don't work here anymore and the mobile safety camera's are mobile so you've no chance of actually knowing where they are. You'll just get a warning telling you that you're in their vicinity with no guarantee that they're there.

That's the idea though - and why its legal (as opposed to radar detectors).

The mobile units locations are well known (they are listed on the Garda's website in a handy map) - areas which have had a lot of speed related accidents - so the warning is good even if the van is not there right then.

Haven't tried it - Good it its free (for one year) I suppose - but don't see justification for a yearly subs for it for Ireland as there are not that many points and they never or very rarely change.

Quick google shows There is a free Android app (link) and a 4 euro IOS version (link) both have no yearly subs.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Fair enough. just don't see the point in it when you can just look out for these signs on the side of the road.

Each to their own. Hope it works for you :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqcHt6bRPTkTSE7_1xvjVp5dlsxq6dWoqiqSE-7FRMbKKjlK0oK48DqXXc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Fair enough. just don't see the point in it when you can just look out for these signs on the side of the road.

Each to their own. Hope it works for you :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqcHt6bRPTkTSE7_1xvjVp5dlsxq6dWoqiqSE-7FRMbKKjlK0oK48DqXXc

I guarantee you the vans are no longer operating within the boundaries of these signs any longer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

I guarantee you the vans are no longer operating within the boundaries of these signs any longer!

Don't think these vans can prosecute though if they are not parked in a one of the preaproved zones (as marked on the garda's website).

The Garda mobile units (garda on side of road with hand held unit and no van) can be anywhere though - and these locations of course wont be on the app.

So yeah - not so useful app in Ireland - stick to the signs and limits and you don't need the app.

-anyway I would forget to switch on anyway if I had it. Maybe of use for someone who does lots of cross country driving to unfamiliar areas (delivery courier or something)....

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

ozmo wrote: »
    Don't think these vans can prosecute though if they are not parked in a one of the preaproved zones (as marked on the garda's website).

Well they are operating on Cork Street, Sundrive Road and St Peters Road in the last two weeks. None of these locations have signs and none are marked designated zones on the Garda Website. Have also seen them on Lower Clanbrassil Street and thats not designated either.

Think they can just park where they want now. I wouldn't like to be standing infront of a judge claiming oh its not
    a designated Zone so i don't deserve a fine even though i was speeding. Dont think you'd get very far in contesting
    it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pbfitzsimons

I've seen the van outside the designated areas in Meath, so I don't think the signs are the only areas they are allowed to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

On this app you can report a speed camera at anytime and it updates it right away to inform other users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭lau1247

I've seen the van outside the designated areas in Meath, so I don't think the signs are the only areas they are allowed to go.

it looks like they have to operate within the boundary set (However there is nothing to say that the boundary cannot be changed over time without notice).

From the Garda website
    wrote:
    How will people know where the cameras will be?

GoSafe will only operate on sections of road which have a history of collisions occurring
    where speed was a contributory factor. The areas where the cameras are operating are
    available on the Garda website – www.garda.ie.

Linky

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭blade1

This app is not just for speed cameras, it give the speed limit on all roads and warns if you if you go over it.
    Probably a lot more accurate than most speedometers and it's free.
    Why dismiss it?
    Have you tried it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Well they are operating on Cork Street, Sundrive Road and St Peters Road in the last two weeks. None of these locations have signs and none are marked designated zones on the Garda Website. Have also seen them on Lower Clanbrassil Street and thats not designated either.

Think they can just park where they want now. I wouldn't like to be standing infront of a judge claiming oh its not
    a designated Zone so i don't deserve a fine even though i was speeding. Dont think you'd get very far in contesting
    it.

From what I've heard thats just surveillance vans

Advertisement