Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ITICA Half price fish & chips day: wed 23rd May

• 20-05-2018 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭

They seem to be keeping quiet about it this year. No real need to spend money advertising, I expect some chippers have asked to keep it quiet as some seem unwilling to do it.

a FAQ to stop some of the same old same old...

Do all chippers take part?
    No, those who are paid up members of the ITICA are supposed to take part. I know some are no longer doing half price, but reduced price "deals". Also some non ITICA members will take part, nothing to stop them. Check facebook or twitter to see what your local is doing, or if it is even still open.

http://www.itica.ie/chipper_directory

Is it only fish & chips?
    This is up to the chipper, some might only do some fish n chips, might be the more expensive fish only, e.g. not include "cod portions". Some do all food half price. Some might do all food only if all the fish runs out. One near me ran the offer the next day as they presumably had so much fish left over.

Will portions be tiny?
    You can check previous years threads, some allegedly are, mine were all decent (trying probably 4 different ones, some a few times), or a small bit less than what I would be pleased with at full price, but I was never disappointed. I think some exaggerate, rare to see photos to back it up. I reckon those chippers with facebook or twitter pages would be more scared of bad publicity.

Remember chippers charge a more reasonable price than other takeaways. e.g. with pizza places, especially the "junk mail" places then half price IS the normal and reasonable price. If I got a half price pizza and thought they skimped a bit I would be well more pissed off than a chipper doing it. Most chippers who sell pizza are already at half the price of the junk mail pizza places.

Will queues be big?
    Can be, again check old threads. Can depend on the time. Several chippers near me have closed (for good) in recent years, so others in the area might be jammed. I would only bother trying about 12pm when many open but many people are not on lunch hour yet. Madness to see some queue for an hour or more at 5pm to save a few euro.

for anybody interested

EDIT: changed to may!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

ITICA Half price fish & chips day: wed 23rd march
    23rd of March was 2 months ago! Surely you mean 23rd of May?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Miike wrote: »
    23rd of March was 2 months ago! Surely you mean 23rd of May?!

Have you not seen the time machine bargain alert thread:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

magentis wrote: »

I contacted AIB rewards to get mine but they keep fobbing me off, telling me it doesn't exist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I'd eat a battered sausage now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

rubadub wrote: »
    They seem to be keeping quiet about it this year. No real need to spend money advertising, I expect some chippers have asked to keep it quiet as some seem unwilling to do it.

Adverts continuously on radio for the past week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

magentis wrote: »

Not for another two months......

Advertisement