Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-06-2018, 10:18   #1
zell12

Avios points

Short on Avios for AerLingus/BA/IB?
Top-up for cheap.
Best value is 8,000points for €99

Get 15% off (max €20) as a new groupon customer
https://www.groupon.ie/deals/avios-points-aerclub
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-06-2018, 09:03   #2
dwasol

what benefit would this be? I have some points not sure what theyre used towards
11-06-2018, 13:11   #3
thesteve

You can use them to buy flights with the avios.

e.g. I booked my family (two adults, 2 kids, 1 baby) to fly to Croatia with Aer Lingus on 62,000 avios (plus taxes)
Thanks from:
11-06-2018, 14:29   #4
J.pilkington
Awaiting Email Confirmation

To be honest avois is a waste of time unless you fly regularly and get to use the tier points to climb the loyalty ladder and get point multipliers. As poster above stated you still pay taxes and some charges on the fare when you redeem which is usually a large portion of the fare itself so if you are talking about spending ages earning and buying avios miles which you then redeem you might find flights like Ryanair are still cheaper.

There are a lot of people wasting their time collecting them in places like SuperValu and not via flights. They will be left with a few thousand points and unable to redeem
(2) thanks from:
11-06-2018, 14:35   #5
ted1

8,000 points is worth about 80 Euro off

Not really a bargain.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-06-2018, 00:01   #6
you2008

[QUOTE=zell12;107222966]Short on Avios for AerLingus/BA/IB?
Top-up for cheap.
Best value is 8,000points for €99

Get 15% off (max €20) as a new groupon customer
https://www.groupon.ie/deals/avios-points-aerclub[/QUOT

Totally waste ur time��. The tax will kill you as can not use points to pay tax
13-06-2018, 00:15   #7
Time

I'm a big Avios collector and this is not a deal for anyone who isnt' into frequent flying. Firstly redemption on Aer Lingus is appalling value. Unless you're familiar with using Avios on partners like BA for RFS or JAL for business redemptions then avoid, as someone else said above the taxes will make more expensive than buying the flights outright unless you know how to avoid.
Thanks from:
13-06-2018, 00:28   #8
Creamy Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I'm a big Avios collector and this is not a deal for anyone who isnt' into frequent flying. Firstly redemption on Aer Lingus is appalling value. Unless you're familiar with using Avios on partners like BA for RFS or JAL for business redemptions then avoid, as someone else said above the taxes will make more expensive than buying the flights outright unless you know how to avoid.
What’s RFS and how do you avoid the taxes. I’m gold on BA with 150k Avios that I’d like to use the best way
13-06-2018, 00:58   #9
Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
What’s RFS and how do you avoid the taxes. I’m gold on BA with 150k Avios that I’d like to use the best way
RFS is Return Flight Saver, a flat 35 fee for a return flight on BA in Europe zones for 9k in Econ /18k in CE, although Club Europe isn't worth the extra IMO.

Long Haul BA originating from the UK has huge taxes added, whereas the taxes on business to the states on Aer Lingus, when booked through BA are comparatively very low. Similarly Cathay Pacific taxes and charges are under 50 on the inbound from HKG in J . Given thats an expensive route its one i'd recommend. JAL have cheap taxes and fees on a lot of their flights too.

Check out flyertalk and head for points for some really detailed breakdowns.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-06-2018, 11:05   #10
thesteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
There are deals to be had though. My taxes on 2 adults, 2 kids (>2) and an infant were less than 200 Euro for Dublin <-> Dubrovnik.

Don't forget too that when you book an Aer Lingus flight with avios you get a 20KG bag per ticket (which when you have small kids - is great to know). They alone would have cost a fortune.
Thanks from:
13-06-2018, 11:33   #11
zell12

This was more to get avios to use IE->US
Bos/Yyz/Nyc 26000 avios will get you a return + ~€100 tax
18-04-2019, 16:45   #12
phishcakes

Bump - Anyone have any tips or tricks for getting Avios points quick??
18-04-2019, 17:42   #13
Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishcakes View Post
Your options are; buy them, fly business class, major spend through the BOI co-branded card, use any of the avios shopping portals while shopping online or get an Amex
18-04-2019, 18:17   #14
VG31

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishcakes View Post
From an email I received: "As an added treat this Easter, you’ll get 20% extra Avios on every purchase you make via the AerClub eStore between 18 April and 5 May 2019."

There is also a 50% bonus when you purchase Avios through Iberia Plus until 24 April. It's not as good value as the recent Groupon offers but it's still not bad.
https://onemileatatime.com/buy-iberia-avios-promotion/
15-05-2019, 14:54   #15
Alex Cohen

Is it actually worht the purchase cost though? Or only for regular flyers?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion