Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Havaiana flip flops comfy?

• 19-06-2010 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I am heading to New York later in the summer and i'm trying to find comfy footwear I can wear while I'm there. I always end up with blisters and sore feet on hols, so if I spend one more holiday moaning, my hubby has sworn to divorce me :). It's going to be hot and we will be doing a lot of walking, so I figured the less straps etc the better. I was thinking of getting these Havaianas

http://www.havaianas-store.ie/e_commerce/women/havaianas/sunny-p-30-c-64.htm?coul_att_detailID=50

I figure they will be comfy but also will look ok with skirts and dresses. They are working out at about €24 incl postage. I have heard good things about these, are they really comfy? Are they suitable for a lot of walking? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

If you are walking a lot, I would recommend getting something which gives the foot a little more support. What about Fitflops?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 chogxox

Hi, while I lived in Australia I had 4 pairs of these. I wore them all the time and hardly took them off, they are great for hot weather and look great with everything from jeans to skirts. However I don't know that I would recommend them for a lot of walking. There is no real support in them so your feet are flat on the ground all the time which is fine for the beach or small amounts of walking but if you are going to be doing a lot of walking especially on the streets of NY you might find your feet becoming sore from the impact with the footpaths. I would recommend bringing a pair or runners as well, even something like converse (bit more fashionable than ordinary runners) for when you are doing lots of walking. Also, wear the Havaiana's for a few days before you go because sometimes you can get a little sore between your toes if you're feet are not used to wearing flip flops. They are gorgeous Havaiana's, might get a pair myself :)

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 little lamb

Tried Havaianas while touring Australia which was HOT and cut the feet off me I cant stand the bit between my toes so I bought crocs FAB FAB FAB they are about the same price depending on what style you like they have what I think they call on the internet site gliders they will get you through New York and you are right it is HOT I do know lots that say they are very comfortable but not on me

• Registered Users Posts: 34 chogxox

Good thinking Pythia, my mum has a pair of these and she swears by them, she walks in them all the time and says they are very comfortable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks for the replies, I know what you mean about them being very flat, but I had heard that Havaianans use a special type of rubber that act as a shock absorber, so thought they might be more comfortable than ordinary flip flops. I'm not sure about Fit Flops, I know they are supposed to be comfy, but not sure I could get past the looks!

It's funny, I was in Disney World a few years ago and the shoes I had bought specially and that were really pricey killed my feet, so I ended up walking round the parks in €2 flip flops from Penny's and they didn't hurt me one bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

ncmc wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, I know what you mean about them being very flat, but I had heard that Havaianans use a special type of rubber that act as a shock absorber, so thought they might be more comfortable than ordinary flip flops. I'm not sure about Fit Flops, I know they are supposed to be comfy, but not sure I could get past the looks!

There are loads of pretty ones, like these ones: 065_chocolate_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Havaiana's will give no support at all so your feet and legs will be in ribbons if you're doing alot of walking. I can't comment on fitflops as I've never worn them but birkenstocks are fantastic as a comfie summer shoe. I wear them every summer and have often worn them on long walks with no problems. They're designed for your feet so they give you all the support you need.

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/gizeh-toe-post-buckle-mule-sandals/578077752.prd;jsessionid=81168319742890133ACBDA7C1765F117.fts03c:-9?browseToken=%2fq%2fbirkenstock&prdToken=/p/prod2631593-sku4198624

Schu and office sell them and in Dublin they have a store on Wicklow St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with flip flops. Havianas are pretty popular because they are so comfy. I had a lovely pair of purple ones but they fell to pieces from over wear! :( I have a pair of Roxy ones now and they are the business. They give a nice airy feeling to your poor over heated tootsies!

If you are going somewhere where you're gonna walk alot I would bring a pair of runners. I brought converse on a recent holiday to Italy (I walked soooo much!) and I was so glad I did. I found the flip flops could just hurt my feet (painful flat feeling not even in between the toes) and my converse just got rid of that for a while and it was a change! :)

Fitflops have been mentioned in here and most people I've talked to about them said they were shiite! They cut their toes (to be expected with new flipflops) but where just in general uncomfortable even after a few weeks. Plus you pay a bomb for them and they are hideous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I love Havaianas, have about ten pairs, and they are great for just wearing day to day, but not for doing a lot of walking. They're so flat I find my calves and arches get achey if I wear them for anything more than general day-to-day wandering around. Otherwise they're really really comfy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭smallgarden

birkenstock are soooo comfy!they hv prettier styles now than they used to,they hv loads in there shop in town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

proberbly get slaughtered for this but i bough a pair of crcs flip flops and i have nearly worn them into the ground... quality and not as expensive as the havanas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭FerrisBueller

Just noticed this thread on the main page, I've had a pair of Havianas for the last 10/11months and they're brilliant, really comfortable (actually more comfortable than my runners most of the time) and they're easy to have on your feet, I can even run in them usually at ease. Although, honestly there was a stage I think it was for about 3/4 days where the top of the strap was pulled out too much and hurt my foot, but once I popped it back there weren't any problems at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Bought two pairs from there last year and love them :D:D I have bad arches and these shoes let me walk and run around all day while running kids camps with NO shin splints or pains :D:DBaumhaus

119053l.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Ruthee

I have a pair of havianas and while they are comfy, i defo wouldnt wear them walking around a city... i definately recomend Birkenstocks.. I'm on my second pair of these and they are the business..

http://www.birkenstock.co.uk/index.php?m=catalogue&a=vw_prod&wprid=693&colid=105&fabric=1

i wore them for a months travelling this time last year and wore them everyday for that month (i had some funny tan lines on my feet for ages after!!) without any problems.. im still wearing them this summer but its time to get a new pair. ill get the same ones again.. id recomend you wear them in before you go, mainly so you have no issues with the "in between the toe bit".. you can get them in pretty colours too.. like these

http://www.birkenstock.co.uk/index.php?m=catalogue&a=vw_prod&wprid=164&colid=1095&fabric=1

i had a nice white and coloured stripey pair and now just have the plain black ones

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I am going to leave the Havaianas for the time being, I think I will look into the Birkinstocks, they have some funky ones on their website and they look super comfy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I would recommend trying a pair of Reef flipflops if you can, I have no idea what places in Ireland sell them though :( I got my first pair about 4 years ago. I still have them and I can walk for hours in them, they're the comfiest pair of footwear I own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I love flipflops - but flat flipflops don't really provide enough support for a lot of walking.

I think Pythia's suggestion was good - fitflops would be airy, comfortable and still look pretty good. For what it's worth, I bought these ones about a month ago, and I find them so comfortable.

051_black_1.jpg

dudara wrote: »
    I love flipflops - but flat flipflops don't really provide enough support for a lot of walking.

I think Pythia's suggestion was good - fitflops would be airy, comfortable and still look pretty good. For what it's worth, I bought these ones about a month ago, and I find them so comfortable.

051_black_1.jpg

They're lovely, they look comfy but yet quite dressy. I think I gave the Fit Flops a bad rap earlier, will look at those and the Birkenstocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

if you are going for havaianas, apparently BTs now have the option to customise your own pair :) dying to go in & have a look at them! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Birkenstocks, these are the ones I got for camping and they are savage :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

I swear by fitflops! Having only been converted since this time last year, I now have 3pairs in different colours. I honestly feel they are more comfortable than walking barefoot and wearing them again was one of the reasons i was thrilled with the recent warm weather!

I would recommend wearing them in first but thats the same with any new shoe regardless of brand!

Most of my girl friends now have own a pair and I noticed that all the girls working at a salon that I go to wear them too! Sure they are a bit chunky but imo they are def worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Pembily wrote: »
    Birkenstocks, these are the ones I got for camping and they are savage :D
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I am going to leave the Havaianas for the time being, I think I will look into the Birkinstocks, they have some funky ones on their website and they look super comfy!
    Ruthee wrote: »
    I have a pair of havianas and while they are comfy, i defo wouldnt wear them walking around a city... i definately recomend Birkenstocks.. I'm on my second pair of these and they are the business..

http://www.birkenstock.co.uk/index.php?m=catalogue&a=vw_prod&wprid=693&colid=105&fabric=1

i wore them for a months travelling this time last year and wore them everyday for that month (i had some funny tan lines on my feet for ages after!!) without any problems.. im still wearing them this summer but its time to get a new pair. ill get the same ones again.. id recomend you wear them in before you go, mainly so you have no issues with the "in between the toe bit".. you can get them in pretty colours too.. like these

http://www.birkenstock.co.uk/index.php?m=catalogue&a=vw_prod&wprid=164&colid=1095&fabric=1

i had a nice white and coloured stripey pair and now just have the plain black ones

birkenstock are soooo comfy!they hv prettier styles now than they used to,they hv loads in there shop in town

*cough* Birkenstocks going down to €29 in Barratts on Thursday *cough*

>.>

<.<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭milkycoffey

I love Havi's. I find they're the most comfortable out of all the flip flops and are far more durable. You can get them for about €20 online too.

If you're using them for a lot of touring though your feet would be tired.
    Fitflops or those skechers tone ups are probably a better bet. Haven't used them myself but everyone seems to be raving about them.

Good luck and have a great holiday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Ok so everyone here is saying FitFlops are very comfortable, but do they actually help tone your legs & bum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

birkenstock all the way. thou i have had mine about 2 years now. i would say that i only wore them in summer (but nearly everyday in summer). only downside is that because its leather, it is starting to smell now and i think i need a new pair. the plastic looking ones look good.

my mam got the fitflops and she thought they looked great at 1st, until she asked her sisters what they thought and none of them liked the style of them. i think they look silly to be honest, a bit overkill on the soles.

i got some cheap alternative walking shoes/flipflop in decathlon recently and they are compfy too for walking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

I find Havianas very heavy and they kind of drag along maybe it's just me!

*cough* Birkenstocks going down to €29 in Barratts on Thursday *cough*

>.>

<.<

That's an amazing price for Birkenstocks! *cough* do you know what styles they will have at that price *cough*

Thanks for posting that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cailin13

having spent many a summer walking around NY I would seriously discount havis. Not just a comfort issue but your feet will also be so dirty at the end of your days walking! NYC streets not so clean...
    Fitflops are comfy but don't look most stylish.
    Birkenstocks defo a good choice but can hurt your feet after a while especially when new, they are quite stiff.
    Nice comfy pumps also an option 4€ penneys ones might see you through!

• Advertisement

• I lived in NYC for 6 months and I wore flip flops the whole time. My feet are a weird shape and any type of sandal rubs and hurts after 10 minutes and leaves my feet in ribbons. I'm sure if I'd persevered I would have found something but honestly, flip flops were grand for me. Your feet get dirty but that happens in any type of open shoe. I guess it really depends on the person. For me, the fewer straps the better. I would like to try those fit flops next time as they seem to be a good compromise.

Thank you anonymous tipster!

Have bought these ones

http://www.barratts.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product1_10055_-1_146597_10553

on the Barretts website, about €35 incl delivery, so not bad at all. They look really comfy and no strap to 'bite' between the toes!

im really tempted by them in barretts now (damn you michellenman!!) - im really used to flipflops though, is it hard to get used to just having a strap across the top of your foot? i wear flip flops a lot and would like something thats not so bad for my feet :/ i think id prefer these ones: http://www.barratts.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product1_10055_-1_90612_10553 but theyre not on sale :(

Nah they're not :( I prefer them too, they come in a really gorgeous charcoal colour too.
    The green ones though are GORGEOUS! Seriously, they're absolutely fabulous, the most beautiful grass green colour. They're on my list for things to buy from the sale (staff discount too) :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

cailin13 wrote: »
    Nice comfy pumps also an option 4€ penneys ones might see you through!
    Unless you have superstrong feet I don't know how a pair of cheap synthetic shoes from Pennys or anywhere else for that matter as most of them are all the same would be better than fitflops of birkenstocks.

There's no support for your arches so after a couple of hours on concrete your feet, legs and back would be killing you.

Birkies can be a little bit hard to break in so bring your compeed plasters. No new shoes will ever fit like a glove and you always have to wear them in for a while before they are comfie.

jellie wrote: »
    im really tempted by them in barretts now (damn you michellenman!!) - im really used to flipflops though, is it hard to get used to just having a strap across the top of your foot? i wear flip flops a lot and would like something thats not so bad for my feet :/ i think id prefer these ones: http://www.barratts.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product1_10055_-1_90612_10553 but theyre not on sale :(

I'm just wondering about the single strap now too, are they hard to get used to? My reasoning in buying these ones were the less straps there the less there is to rub your feet! Bit worried they might keep falling off now :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Havaianas are comfortable but NO flip flop is good for your feet if you're wearing them for long periods of time. You might not notice it now, but in years to come you could well end up with fallen arches from the lack of support.

I damaged a ligament in my foot a few years ago from over-wearing my havaianas and it's still not quite right. Birkenstocks (and probably fit flops too) offer more support for your feet.

Michellenman thanks for the tip on the Birkenstocks in barretts, I got the white 1s this evening for €29 on grafton st, they were 50 in office down the road! :) does anyone find them large fitting though? I'm usually a 5, they were too big so I tried a 4 which were still a bit big & I ended up with a 3! Was very weird, I was comparing them & the sales girl I'd been talking to agreed the 3 seemed to fit best, it was odd.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Few pairs of Birkenstocks in TK Maxx Stephen's Green today for €22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I'm just wondering about the single strap now too, are they hard to get used to? My reasoning in buying these ones were the less straps there the less there is to rub your feet! Bit worried they might keep falling off now :confused:

They're very easy to get used to and don't feel insecure. Mine feel more securely on than flipflops do. If you have the right size theres never any slippage.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Havaianas are really comfortable to wear for most people but obviously arent going to offer you any support, if you've any back pain at all it could really exacerbate it. I wouldn't advise birkenstocks either though if you're not used to them they can take ages to get used to wearing and the arch support isn't suited to everyone's feet.

If I was you I'd probably take a couple of pairs of flip flops and light runners so you'll have a choice, try to get used to wearing them first though before you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I have a pair of Havaianas and love them. I just wear them for wandering about though. I brought them to NY with me one time and wore them walking around all day. They did start to blister my feet when walking that much.

I had a pair of Birkenstocks and they cut my feet to ribbons. Probably my own fault for not breaking them in properly before walking lots in them.

So Havaianas get the thumbs up for me for light usage. But for walking around a lot I'd go with a light runner like converse or something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I have a pair of Havianas; loved them last year but they are ripping my feet to shreds this year:(

I like Fitflops and Birkenstocks; I do find Birkenstocks hard to break in tho; especially the single strap across kind; so I use some of this, cut it to the shape of the strap and stick it underneath. It costs less than 4yoyos at any chemist; comes as a rectangular sheet and is available in two thicknesses; you wouldn't know looking at the sandal that it was there; and it makes them super super comfy from the first wear....RESULT!!!:D

Advertisement