Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage - low fee for breaking fixed rate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

BBMcQ wrote: »
    We got AIB down from a near 5k breakage fee down to near 900! Now Ulster bank aren’t charging us anything to switch from their 2.6% fixed to 2.2% fixed. EU rules mean that a bank can only charge you a break fee based on what it would cost them to finance the remaining principle plus admin costs. AIB in particular weren’t following this until approx July 2019.

How did you get AIB to lower breakage fee?

I'm with BOI, 3 years through a 5 year fixed. The breakage fee I'm being quoted is north of 2k, and that's to stay with BOI on a lower rate.

If I leave BOI there's also a redemption fee, again it's considerable.

I do have over 20 years left on lifetime of mortgage so unless that's what's working against me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

flugel wrote: »

I'm with BOI, 3 years through a 5 year fixed. The breakage fee I'm being quoted is north of 2k, and that's to stay with BOI on a lower rate.

I do have over 20 years left on lifetime of mortgage so unless that's what's working against me

We were 2 years into a 34 year mortgage. My other half fought tooth and nail and basically forced AIB to change their rules! All the way through, we asked for the calculations of the breakage fees. The folks on askaboutmoney are brilliant with advice also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

Very good thread, I didn't realise the fees could be so low.
    I'm 1 year into a 28 year mortgage with KBC (3.2% fixed for 3 years). Rang them recently to ask what the break fee was to pay off a lump sum and they quoted me 250ish over the phone.
    Is that number based on the lump sum amount?
    Also, would it be a good idea to try to get onto a lower rate at the same time as paying the lump sum?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Q&A

fjon wrote: »
    I'm 1 year into a 28 year mortgage with KBC (3.2% fixed for 3 years). Rang them recently to ask what the break fee was to pay off a lump sum and they quoted me 250ish over the phone.
    Also, would it be a good idea to try to get onto a lower rate at the same time as paying the lump sum?

If you didn't specify the amount you wanted to break my guess is it's for the whole amount. You can always clarify with them.

Looking at the rates that KBC currently offer you can definitely do better. 3 Year >80-90% LTV is currently 2.85%. Lower LTVs are better still.

https://www.kbc.ie/our-products/mortgages/our-mortgage-rates

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The 250 is the penalty on the partial redemption that you enquired about to move will incur a full breakage fee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

Cyrus wrote: »
    The 250 is the penalty on the partial redemption that you enquired about to move will incur a full breakage fee

To move to a lower rate? Or to move to a different bank?

To move to a lower rate? Or to move to a different bank?

It normally doesn’t matter as it amounts to the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

flugel wrote: »

I've broken twice in 2 years on a 35 year mortgage both times on a 5 year fixed, first was 250 second was free. Now on 2.5% the lowest AIB offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

Etnies wrote: »
    I've broken twice in 2 years on a 35 year mortgage both times on a 5 year fixed, first was 250 second was free. Now on 2.5% the lowest AIB offer.

What banks were you with that the rate was so low to break the fixed term? I just broke away from AIB and moved to TSB.

Does anyone know how much the breakage fee is with TSB?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭circadian

I've just moved from a Variable Rate of 3.7% with AIB to the 2.5% 5 year fixed rate they offered. I wonder if they see some sort of recession coming and are trying to shore down as many 5 year rates as possible.

• Advertisement

Etnies wrote: »

It’s all to do with inter bank rates and when you fixed and for how long

Break fees were low or nil for a lot of people who fixed in 2017 and broke out in 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

circadian wrote: »
    I've just moved from a Variable Rate of 3.7% with AIB to the 2.5% 5 year fixed rate they offered. I wonder if they see some sort of recession coming and are trying to shore down as many 5 year rates as possible.

I'm with AIB on their 3.15% Var, saw that 2.5% 5 yr fixed and got very excited.
    Glad you got it - but looking into it, not a chance my house would get a decent BER certificate.

I'm going to go for the 2.75% 3 yr fixed instead - unless anyone has seen any better offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Sparky85

MB Lacey wrote: »
    I'm with AIB on their 3.15% Var, saw that 2.5% 5 yr fixed and got very excited.
    Glad you got it - but looking into it, not a chance my house would get a decent BER certificate.

I'm going to go for the 2.75% 3 yr fixed instead - unless anyone has seen any better offers?

UlsterBank “high value” mortgage >300k 2.2% fixed for 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,622 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

For anyone receiving TRS, make sure to add up all the payments you've received since 2012 (or earlier) against what you're supposed to have received.

I found I'm €850 short.

Probably need to get this sorted before I move provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Sparky85 wrote: »
    UlsterBank “high value” mortgage >300k 2.2% fixed for 5 years

Thanks Sparky, I did see that, but I've 220k left to pay so don't qualify.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Go to https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/financial-comparisons/mortgage-comparisons/
    It will lay out all the different rates for whatever LTV you are.
    It won't show cashback offers however so you will have to take those into account.

When using this search form, do you enter the house value as it was when purchased, or the estimated current value?

The same query for when changing provider, do they still use the original property value as it was when purchased?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

mrcheez wrote: »
    When using this search form, do you enter the house value as it was when purchased, or the estimated current value?

The same query for when changing provider, do they still use the original property value as it was when purchased?

You would enter the current value of the house.
    You'll need to get a new valuation report done. Roughly €150.

deco72 wrote: »
    You would enter the current value of the house.
    You'll need to get a new valuation report done. Roughly €150.

I need to get that done before I apply to change provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Some banks will include a free property valuation as part of their mortgage switcher package, others will give you a larger cash amount to switch which you can put towards you getting your own valuation, solicitor's fees, etc to cover the cost of switching. Either way a property valuation will need to be done by a legitimate and approved valuer as part of the switching process. They won't just take your word on the valuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

For anyone receiving TRS, make sure to add up all the payments you've received since 2012 (or earlier) against what you're supposed to have received.

I found I'm €850 short.

Probably need to get this sorted before I move provider.

Really? Was that the bank at fault?

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    Really? Was that the bank at fault?

It's fine, I didn't realise that they tapered the usual payments by 75% in 2018 and 50% in 2019! :rolleyes:

This was as opposed to suddenly cutting it off at the end of 2017.

2020's payment are 25% of the usual and then it's finally gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

It's fine, I didn't realise that they tapered the usual payments by 75% in 2018 and 50% in 2019! :rolleyes:

This was as opposed to suddenly cutting it off at the end of 2017.

2020's payment are 25% of the usual and then it's finally gone.

Bit off topic but said would ask someone might have the answer for me here.

We were getting this with full entitlement up to December 2019 and then that month amount we received dropped and has since followed through this year in line with 25%. So went from full amount of €37.50 (whole of 2019 apart from Dec) to €28.48 (Dec 2019) to €12.34 (2020 onwards). I was hoping to be receiving €18.75 for 2020, not massive diff but all counts.

Any clue why that would have dropped to begin with? No notification from anyone about it.

bugsyb4 wrote: »
    Bit off topic but said would ask someone might have the answer for me here.

We were getting this with full entitlement up to December 2019 and then that month amount we received dropped and has since followed through this year in line with 25%. So went from full amount of €37.50 (whole of 2019 apart from Dec) to €28.48 (Dec 2019) to €12.34 (2020 onwards). I was hoping to be receiving €18.75 for 2020, not massive diff but all counts.

Any clue why that would have dropped to begin with? No notification from anyone about it.

Ask your provider how much interest you were charged in 2019.
    Then tot up all the TRS payments you received.

The TRS total received should be half of 20% of the interest. (i.e. it should be 10% of your interest)

In 2020 we will only get a quarter of 20% of the interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aspasp1

BBMcQ wrote: »
    Folks, I think it’s super important to highlight because 9 out of 10 ppl don’t know this

ALOT of the times it will make sense for you to break out of a bad fixed rate deal. Some people thing you are stuck in a fixed rate deal no matter what.

We got AIB down from a near 5k breakage fee down to near 900! Now Ulster bank aren’t charging us anything to switch from their 2.6% fixed to 2.2% fixed. EU rules mean that a bank can only charge you a break fee based on what it would cost them to finance the remaining principle plus admin costs. AIB in particular weren’t following this until approx July 2019.

It’s staggering to think of the amount of money out there being overpaid to banks on mortgages....

Also 1500 all-in is the target price for a solicitor to switch. You don’t even need to meet them so I wouldn’t pay more for one just because their office is in D4.

Hi, we are only 1.5 years into mortgage with ulster and locked it for 4 years @2.6%. Do you think we should ask them if we can be moved to 2.2%.

aspasp1 wrote: »
    Hi, we are only 1.5 years into mortgage with ulster and locked it for 4 years @2.6%. Do you think we should ask them if we can be moved to 2.2%.

ask of course, the run the calcs to see if it makes financial sense in the context of the breakage fee and interest saving

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aspasp1

Cyrus wrote: »
    ask of course, the run the calcs to see if it makes financial sense in the context of the breakage fee and interest saving

Thanks Cyrus..Anyone want to share their recent experience in dealing with Ulster on something similar?

aspasp1 wrote: »
    Thanks Cyrus..Anyone want to share their recent experience in dealing with Ulster on something similar?

there really isnt anything to it

call them up, say you are interested in moving rates and ask them if they can send out your break fee if you are to do so,

you will get a letter 5 days later with the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

Just related to this - I did that during the summer, and the fee was outrageous. 18 months into 5 year fixed.

Can the figure drastically change, or would I be wasting my time ringing them again (BOI).

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The breakage figure changes constantly so yes ring them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Sent off a change of interest rate request with BOI.
    Currently on 5yr 3.1% <60% LTV.

So got offered 5 different options from 1yr 2.9% to 10yr 3.3% and a few in between.

Only one option gave a saving of a whole €5!

So will look elsewhere. Although looking to get a substantial loan for a wedding soon enough so that might hold things off for a bit.

Advertisement