Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

American muscle cars

Options
  • 10-12-2018 7:07am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've just moved to Dubai and I'm looking at American Muscle cars. Thy are everywhere out here and since fuel is cheap a 5 litre V8 is achievable. So why the hello not! Main ones are the Dodge Challenger, Chevy Camero and the Ford Mustang. I like the Challenger best as the noise from it is incredible. The Camero looks seriously cool, I'm not as much of a fan of the Mustang. So many types I'm not sure. I want a v8 for sure. They are all automatic, but not sure if any have paddle shift?

Does anyone know much about these cars? I need some guidance before I start going to see them so I k ow what to look for...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

Ive had a 2012 6.2ltr v8 supersport camaro for 2 weeks on hire. A 2016 dodge challenger rt 5.7 v8 375hp for a week and a 2018 ford mustang gt premium 5.0ltr 460hp for a week.
    All as hire cars.
    Im not a fan of the mustangs looks but it would have to be the car of my choice of the 3.
    I didnt find the challenger very powerful . 375 hp in a car probably weighing 2.5 ton through an auto box . 180hp audi felt as powerful tbh. Plus the finish was poor. Radio plasticy dash etc. It had keyless entry and start though.
    The camaro ss was better specced. Heated leather seats remote start , 9 speaker surround sound system . Very comfortable car to drive long distances.
    Both of the above were fairly quite in the cabin. You couldnt hear the roar of the v8 much.
    The mustang bar the looks had to be the best. Very fast compared to the challenger. Heated leather bucket seats. Keyless entry and start.
    You could hear the roar of the engine continuously. At 75mph it kinda thundered away nicely but after a while could get on your nerves.
    Camaro did 300 miles to the tank on a long trip. Mustang struggled for 200 and challenger somewhere in between

Hope this helps

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

ECOBOOST!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Why move to a country that supports slavery and misogyny, not principles anyway.

Why move to a country that supports slavery and misogyny, not principles anyway.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I'd say he's crying into his caviar :rolleyes:

What are you doing out there OP ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Zascar wrote: »
    . They are all automatic, but not sure if any have paddle shift?

Does anyone use the paddles (or the manual selector when the box has one) beyond the "this is cool I'll give it a go" First time, when they get a car?

I've never met anyone that does. I know the novelty wore off with me after about 3 gear changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Planning something similiar next year myself. Why not go for something like a Mercedes C63? Plentiful and quite reasonable as a used option. Even a E550/S550 or BMW 550i/750i are totally reasonable options.

https://dubai.dubizzle.com/m/motors/used-cars/bmw/5-series/2018/9/22/2007-bmw-550i-gcc--2/?back=L20vbW90b3JzL3VzZWQtY2Fycy9ibXcvNS1zZXJpZXMvP3NlbGxlcl90eXBlPSZraWxvbWV0ZXJzX19ndGU9JnByaWNlX19ndGU9JnllYXJfX2d0ZT0meWVhcl9fbHRlPTIwMTgma2lsb21ldGVyc19fbHRlPSZrZXl3b3Jkcz01NTBpJnByaWNlX19sdGU9JnBhZ2U9Mg==

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Does anyone use the paddles (or the manual selector when the box has one) beyond the "this is cool I'll give it a go" First time, when they get a car?

I've never met anyone that does. I know the novelty wore off with me after about 3 gear changes.

Ditto friend of mine with a Golf GTD. Used about 3 times, then never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If its American muscle your after then a Corvette C7 Z06 is worth looking at. Blistering pace by all accounts.

bazz26 wrote: »
    If its American muscle your after then a Corvette C7 Z06 is worth looking at. Blistering pace by all accounts.

Clarkson says they're made of plastic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

9935452 wrote: »
    Ive had a 2012 6.2ltr v8 supersport camaro for 2 weeks on hire. A 2016 dodge challenger rt 5.7 v8 375hp for a week and a 2018 ford mustang gt premium 5.0ltr 460hp for a week. All as hire cars.
    Im not a fan of the mustangs looks but it would have to be the car of my choice of the 3.
    I didnt find the challenger very powerful . 375 hp in a car probably weighing 2.5 ton through an auto box . 180hp audi felt as powerful tbh. Plus the finish was poor. Radio plasticy dash etc. It had keyless entry and start though.
    The camaro ss was better specced. Heated leather seats remote start , 9 speaker surround sound system . Very comfortable car to drive long distances.
    Both of the above were fairly quite in the cabin. You couldnt hear the roar of the v8 much.
    The mustang bar the looks had to be the best. Very fast compared to the challenger. Heated leather bucket seats. Keyless entry and start.
    You could hear the roar of the engine continuously. At 75mph it kinda thundered away nicely but after a while could get on your nerves.
    Camaro did 300 miles to the tank on a long trip. Mustang struggled for 200 and challenger somewhere in between

Hope this helps

Thanks yes it does a lot. I want something reliable and low risk, Mustang would be it. Going to drive it and see what it's like anyway. Drive the small engined ones years ago and loved it despite being slow but a v8 may transform it completely. Still love the Challenger, I've seen so many Cameros over here they are almost common
    Planning something similiar next year myself. Why not go for something like a Mercedes C63? Plentiful and quite reasonable as a used option. Even a E550/S550 or BMW 550i/750i are totally reasonable options.

https://dubai.dubizzle.com/m/motors/used-cars/bmw/5-series/2018/9/22/2007-bmw-550i-gcc--2/
    Actually I may look into a C63 I hear great things. They are absolutely beautiful on the inside. Older bmw's tend to break a lot out here they are not built for the heat so I need to be careful.

What have you planned for next year?

Happy to discuss this in another thread but in short; I'm not going to be able to do anything to change it, the poor conditions reported in the past are much improved, most of these people are coming from places where they have Zero prospects and can barely feed their families so this is their best option to keep them alive.
    D3V!L wrote: »
    I'd say he's crying into his caviar :rolleyes:

What are you doing out there OP ?
    D3vil I got a transfer with work. I have family out here and have been many times. Came for Sun, lifestyle, money - the usuals! Oh and the cars :D

Going to go drive a few and see what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Thanks yes it does a lot. I want something reliable and low risk, Mustang would be it. Going to drive it and see what it's like anyway. Drive the small engined ones years ago and loved it despite being slow but a v8 may transform it completely. Still love the Challenger, I've seen so many Cameros over here they are almost common

Actually I may look into a C63 I hear great things. They are absolutely beautiful on the inside. Older bmw's tend to break a lot out here they are not built for the heat so I need to be careful.

What have you planned for next year?

Happy to discuss this in another thread but in short; I'm not going to be able to do anything to change it, the poor conditions reported in the past are much improved, most of these people are coming from places where they have Zero prospects and can barely feed their families so this is their best option to keep them alive.

D3vil I got a transfer with work. I have family out here and have been many times. Came for Sun, lifestyle, money - the usuals! Oh and the cars :D

Going to go drive a few and see what I think.

Same as you; work, sun and lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

how much are these sort fo cars out there ?? i assume there not VRT or excessive VAT kike we have ??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

https://uae.dubizzle.com/motors/used-cars/dodge/challenger/?site=--&s=MT&rc=140&c1=1276&c2=1853&price__gte=&price__lte=120000&year__gte=&year__lte=&kilometers__gte=&kilometers__lte=140000&seller_type=&keywords=v8&is_basic_search_widget=0&is_search=1&added__gte=&auto_agent=

Divide by 4 for the rough price. Actually 4.2 but just for a guideline. Play with the site its really good, like Donedeal but better.

Just look out for American imports which are cheap, but really you need GCC Spec which means they have better aircon and some other stuff to cope with the summer heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

https://uae.dubizzle.com/motors/used-cars/dodge/challenger/?site=--&s=MT&rc=140&c1=1276&c2=1853&price__gte=&price__lte=120000&year__gte=&year__lte=&kilometers__gte=&kilometers__lte=140000&seller_type=&keywords=v8&is_basic_search_widget=0&is_search=1&added__gte=&auto_agent=

Divide by 4 for the rough price. Actually 4.2 but just for a guideline. Play with the site its really good, like Donedeal but better.

Just look out for American imports which are cheap, but really you need GCC Spec which means they have better aircon and some other stuff to cope with the summer heat.

How much is the car insurance over there?

Not really sure I think €500 to €1000 roughly from what a couple of people have told me they pay. I believe its a direct % of the value of the car so can vary hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Clarkson says they're made of plastic.
    Clarkson, Clarkson, name rings a bell. Used to be on the telly years ago? Plonker?

Advertisement