Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jingle Bells 5k 2018

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

First race since Jingle Bells last year after missing all 4 races i entered in 2018 for different horrendous reasons:o Enjoyable race as always and glad they keep the same course and date as you can judge what shape you are in yearly,wish there was another 5k in June over the same course as a marker but the GI Run does the trick in April for 10k. Weather was kind not like the 2015 storm. A simple whistleblow at the start wouldn't go astray though but otherwise excellent and fairplay to the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,156 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

2nd time doing this race and 2nd time getting a PB, can't argue with that! ;)

I agree with those saying its strange that there is nothing announcing the start, no countdown or not even a whistle or a guy shouting "5,4,3,2,1 go" on one of the megaphones they had there.

Very well organised and enjoyable though, I'd definitely recommend it and I'll take a good mug over a medal any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Thanks for the feedback re the start. I will bring this up and see if we can get something better sorted for next year.

Glad to hear you both enjoyed the morning though and as always any feedback is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Thanks for the feedback re the start. I will bring this up and see if we can get something better sorted for next year.

Glad to hear you both enjoyed the morning though and as always any feedback is appreciated.

Yea, that was the main feedback from our group.

I was up at 2nd row and even at that the starter just said a barely audible 'ready, set, go' and we were off. Took almost everyone by surprise. Especially as they were clearly announcing with 20, 15, 10 minutes to go.

Other than that, a fairly flawless race as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭fletch

Was the lad who was being treated by the ambulance okay?

• Advertisement

Just a bit of feedback on the start.

I just heard that the generator to power the PA System and inflate the start arch failed this morning shortly before the race was due to get underway.There was a scramble to get a portable PA set up which unfortunately could not be done in time.

An area where a more robust plan B will be considered for next year.

I have heard that he is doing ok which is great news.

Thankfully we had a member who is a Doctor positioned at the finish line and also some brilliant help from the Civil Defence and the ambulance crew.

fletch wrote: »
    Was the lad who was being treated by the ambulance okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Yea, that was the main feedback from our group.

I was up at 2nd row and even at that the starter just said a barely audible 'ready, set, go' and we were off. Took almost everyone by surprise. Especially as they were clearly announcing with 20, 15, 10 minutes to go.

Other than that, a fairly flawless race as per usual.

Cracking run man.

Great event, start caught me by surprise too but it's no biggie and easily fixed. Will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

pconn062 wrote: »
    Cracking run man.

Great event, start caught me by surprise too but it's no biggie and easily fixed. Will be back.

Tell the Lav to run faster next time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RunnerDub

Only decided at the last minute to run race, plagued with calf trouble last few months :( original plan was to run sub 25 so kept it easy ran 27.46. As usual the race was very well organised. Thanks to all the Donore Harriers AC voulinteers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Nice to get a cup on PB day!

Ha exactly, cheers C!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Just a bit of feedback on the start.

I just heard that the generator to power the PA System and inflate the start arch failed this morning shortly before the race was due to get underway.There was a scramble to get a portable PA set up which unfortunately could not be done in time.

An area where a more robust plan B will be considered for next year.

From being involved in several races myself without any sort of PA system, the best way to start the race is get the crowd themselves to do a countdown, get the 1st few front rows to start it and it will have gathered enough momentum by the time you hit zero for everyone to know whats happening. In terms of waves, what I would suggest in the future is a better attempt is made to split up the sub16 and sub20 range, maybe have a sub18 in there also, and throw in a marshal to try and discourage anyone who clearly shouldnt be there. There were apparently people with prams and buggies in the sub20 group.

All in all however still one of the best races on the calendar, gutted I was only watching this year ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Timmaay wrote: »
    From being involved in several races myself without any sort of PA system, the best way to start the race is get the crowd themselves to do a countdown, get the 1st few front rows to start it and it will have gathered enough momentum by the time you hit zero for everyone to know whats happening. In terms of waves, what I would suggest in the future is a better attempt is made to split up the sub16 and sub20 range, maybe have a sub18 in there also, and throw in a marshal to try and discourage anyone who clearly shouldnt be there. There were apparently people with prams and buggies in the sub20 group.

All in all however still one of the best races on the calendar, gutted I was only watching this year ha.

Unfortunately, policing waves is largely a pointless persuit. You may stop a small minority but you won't stop 90% people being where they want to be. This also goes for buggies, people wearing headphones, people being in the incorrect starting position (I can go on) etc. That goes for every race in Ireland and any race I have competed in abroad.

Most runners are very consciousness but minority will do as they please. That is the reality. I also would be reluctant to put a volunteer into the type of policing noted above. It is a job I wouldn't like to do so I would be again reluctant to put someone in the potential firing line. Volunteers keep running alive in Ireland.

It really comes down to personal responsibility, not policing. Again, the majority are the most helpful and consciousness people you will ever meet. Some though, need to see the bigger picture and line up appropriately.

Great day. It is hard to beat the Park on a crisp (and dry!) December morn.

P.s Good idea about the countdown start! I may borrow that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Thanks to Donore Harriers for an enjoyable race. Delighted to get my prized mug.
    Didn't perform as I would have hoped but I'm not long back after injury so must be patient.

I'm sure the start will be much better next year;)

Thanks for the update on what happened there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Unfortunately, policing waves is largely a pointless persuit. You may stop a small minority but you won't stop 90% people being where they want to be. This also goes for buggies, people wearing headphones, people being in the incorrect starting position (I can go on) etc. That goes for every race in Ireland and any race I have competed in abroad.

I'm not generally disputing this, but I've taken advantage of and participated in ruthless and very vocal runner management (mostly marthastew :D ) at the Crusaders run Docklands 5k and it can work. It takes a lot of organising and people on the ground though, and in a constrained environment like the Dublin quays is probably essential to a successful race that intends to accommodate club runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I see the Jingle Bells route has changed this year due to road works. Any locals able to tell us more about the new route?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

It's a bit tougher, maybe 5 secs slower. Now you have a big downhill into the furry glen and a climb out the other side before the sharp downhill home.

Still a great course overall and still very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Just signed up, was looking forward to NOT having to do the Furry Glen... At the end of the furze you have a downhill and then a tiny drag up knockmaroon, and then the climb coming out of the furry Glen.

Really looking forward to it still!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

Is the race sold out this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

purelike wrote: »
    Is the race sold out this year?

Yep! If anyone has 2 entries they don't need pm me please!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Another cracking race. Thank you to all the Donore folk, bravo.

Tell you what, I could well be alone in this but I vote to keep that route.

Loved the challenge of that hill.

Got a shiny new pb, that hill makes me feel like I really earned it.

Lazare wrote: »
    Another cracking race. Thank you to all the Donore folk, bravo.

Tell you what, I could well be alone in this but I vote to keep that route.

Loved the challenge of that hill.

Got a shiny new pb, that hill makes me feel like I really earned it.

I'd prefer the old route. Running hilly parkruns all year round. I always look forward to this one, to let it rip :) well done yourself. Got a bit of a PB myself ��

Well done Donore Harriers and all volunteers for another great Jingle Bells

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Great evernt well done to all

Laraze you may be alone with that vote! :D I still enjoyed it though I will be back next year

Thanks to everyone at Donore Harriers, fantastic event as always. One of the big highlights of the road racing calendar every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Great race as always, well done Donore Harriers

Advertisement