Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Emulation Discussion

1171819202123»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

3DO

The Tory Mega CD

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looks like pcsx2 is fixing pretty much all the issues I have with it.

https://pcsx2.net/blog/2024/pcsx2-2-release/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

Thats some blog entry. Hugely impressive work has gone on there over the last few years, and PCSX2 seems to be in great hands.

Dont envy them, the hardware is so unique.

I'm starting a new LaunchBox setup, my current one is so filled with systems that I've no real interest in (the fun was in setting them up!), and was never really made as a portable setup either (so copying it to new hardware etc is a real pain as the paths etc won't exist.) It's the first step towards building a dedicated CRTEmudriver PC really, and this new LaunchBox setup will be tightly curated in terms of systems and games.

While doing this, I see there's a newer FM Towns emulator which is quite a bit simpler to set up compared to Unz, and this will do nicely for the few games I'd want from an FM Towns Marty.

I'm also going to move towards Xemu instead of CXBX-Reloaded, so currently converting my folder based Xbox games to xiso images via the command line (extract-xiso).

The focus on this will be only the systems I actually want, no filler, tight curation, and a nice, effective couch friendly frontend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Kind of going the other way by adding more, but have you tried the new eXoDos v6?

I recently starting using it and I'm really liking the old DOS games on my arcade monitor as well as just running on my main PC with simulated CRT filters. It uses LaunchBox as the frontend, but you can merge it to an existing one as well. Spent many hours over the last 2 weeks playing some of the included 7600+ DOS games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Funny.......I was sort of thinking of starting from scratch with Launchbox as well as an excuse to tailor ExoDos into the current install, but 10mins into things on the PC with the heat outside dissuaded me from things sharpish 😅

Might well leave it as a post-summer project, but currently have ExoDos and my main Launchbox separate from each other and both seem happy, but the main install is just too bloated.

Some huge effort put into the Exo project all the same. Still need to import the other Exo installs for Scumm, Windows etc, but it is a great way to spend countless hours.

Tagging names not working here, nothing surprises me anymore with this bargain bin Vanilla backend....but yeah, Steve and McDermot, I've got a curated list of ExoDos v5 games manually integrated into my main (bloated) Launchbox setup...its an amazing piece of work by dedicated people, and really does just work.

Whether I'll bother with it for my new LB setup, I'm not sure yet. Things spiral fast with emulation frontend, and before you know it, you've a ton of stuff installed never to be played. There are some really amazing DOS games that I do hold dear, so I likely will give the new v6 a go.

Post edited by Inviere on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Very general emulation comment, but i run Linux (Ubuntu) which doesn't have as much support as Windows, in terms of gaming.

However, it does have Steam. Maybe I'm out of the loop but Steam has this "proton" stuff which is like WINE, and can emulate windows games.

I've been trying to get some games working in Heroic Launcher by manually installing wine and some other packages, with middling results, but i found a really good trick in steam that I wasn't aware of.

In Steam, you go into your library and chose the option to add a non-steam game. You can pick any game but in my case i picked the Blizzard Launcher exe. It just worked. I was able to install the launcher, log in, and then install StarCraft on my linux machine, all as if i was on a windows machine. Everything just worked. I was impressed!

Next step is to try with some other Windows software and see if it works too. I've tried before using WINE and failed so this could open up some new possibilities.

• Advertisement

Still tipping away at this, the amount of stuff I've gotten rid of is mad. All the MSU1 stuff is great and all, but these days if I'm going to bother playing a game, I'll want to play it as it originally was. 100+GB of MSU1 stuff nuked, same for the Megadrive....romhacks (not a great time to be deleting rom hacks, but I did keep a handful of the truly great ones), translations of games I'll never play, systems I never ever bother with....

I've cleaned a lot of clutter from my roms smb share too. Doing all of that has reduced the amount of emulators needed right down too, so it all feels much more accessible and baggage-free.

Glad I started this now, as I've been putting it off for months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭Doge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭Doge

Been ages since I looked at RetroPie but here's a few things I learned watching this video:

• It now supports Netplay (figures as it uses retroarch). Seems a bit fiddly unless you can enable an option to have it enabled by default when you run a game. That would be handy for friends who are less technical that you want to play with. Also both people need to be running the same version of RetroPie / Arch.
    • It supports achievements for old games, a bit like modern consoles.
    • You can use a scraper to download artwork and preview videos.
    • The image is available to download and install from the official Raspberry Pi software (only upto Pi 4 models at the time of the video.)

Emulation setup rebuild complete, I've trimmed a LOT of fat and bloat. For whatever reason, it just feels more accessible and desirable to use now…there's still quite a lot of games & systems on it, but they're things I'll use - not just there for the sake of having them there. As an aside, Launchbox integrates very very nicely with Retroarch now which makes setting things up a little more streamlined. I grabbed about 30 or so games from the new eXoDOS (thanks Steve for the heads up), and integrated them into this new setup (not exactly an intuitive process, but once you figure out the structure, it's quite easy.)

I took the time to look at newer Big Box themes too, and found this gem…

^^ Mini Consoles Theme - A Massive amount of effort and detail gone into this, and it's not garish or in your face (you can tailor it to how you like). It's as if the majority of consoles all had official mini versions, and this is their menu system (that's how polished it is.)

So all done now, just backing up as we speak!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've a RetroPie running in the cab, though I have an Arcadepunks image to burn to a card for my Pi4, which would be better.

But I've also picked up a mayflash sensor bar, which should give me a working lightgun on pretty much everything, with a little setting up.

The sensor bar can be set to work as a mouse, which Retroarch will integrate into everything, with some luck.

Advertisement