Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Use of handbrake

• 07-12-2018 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Hi, just have a query about using the handbrake in the test.

Someone I know is going to do their test in a Peugeot Partner. There is anti rollback function when you stop the car going up a hill. When you put your foot on the brake and take it off again, the car will stay in the same spot for a few seconds, it won't roll back. During the test should they ignore this and just use the handbrake like you would in a normal car: pull it up as soon as you come to a stop?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Will the tester fail you on a hill start if the car is equipped with an electric push button brake which the instruction manual says it can be released simply by putting the accelerator down after engaging the clutch and selecting first gear??

I would much prefer the old style handle hand brake as it gives you more control on hillstarts etc. than the complicated push button brake in modern cars.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

What's a push button brake?
    Is it literally just a button?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Moghead wrote: »

Someone I know is going to do their test in a Peugeot Partner. There is anti rollback function when you stop the car going up a hill. When you put your foot on the brake and take it off again, the car will stay in the same spot for a few seconds, it won't roll back. During the test should they ignore this and just use the handbrake like you would in a normal car: pull it up as soon as you come to a stop?

I think the rule is that YOU have to be in control at all times so I dont think it would be acceptable to use the hill assist that you describe. I have it on my van and TBH I don't like it. It takes too long to release IMO and you risk stalling. I don't know what the story would be with auto H/B, I've never used one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Just use the hand brake in the test and never again after that if you don't want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭dennyk

Posy wrote: »
    What's a push button brake?
    Is it literally just a button?

Yes, many modern cars these days have an electronic parking brake that's activated and deactivated via a button or switch rather than a handle attached to a physical cable. Some have additional features like engaging and disengaging automatically in certain circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moghead wrote: »

They can use this function without issue if need arises. However, usually for the hill start the driver is expected to pull over and engage the parking brake/handbrake. It is not appropriate to just use the foot brake in this part of the test, the tester guidelines state:
    If the handbrake/parking brake is not properly applied, the applicant should be asked to secure the vehicle
    with the handbrake/parking brake only.

But if the car has a function that will prevent it from rolling back on a hill when completely a normal hill start then this is fine.

Also if there is an electronic handbrake that will automatically release when you start off, this is also fine. The main thing in this scenario is to do all the same visual checks you would in a car with a traditional handbrake.

Advertisement