Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

Cool wondering how a bolt would go through driving over it if it was lying on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

ofcork wrote: »
    Cool wondering how a bolt would go through driving over it if it was lying on the ground.

Front wheel throws object up and hits rear tyre and punctures that as it's flung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The E46 still in the garage. Got it back on Saturday, initially delighted with how the car was driving (the ride is so much better now) but after only a few miles of driving I found I was getting vibrations and what sounded like a flat tyre. It kept increasing in frequency and in noise as the speeds increased.

I'm almost certain it's nothing to do with the garage but a new fault. Feels like a sticky caliper, a common problem with these cars and they tend to stick with no advanced warning.

The upshot of this is it's getting the diff bearings fixed this week instead!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Am I right in thinking that there's something shite about the 1.6 tdci in the focus from around year 2010 onwards? (Someones looking for help buying a new motor...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Am I right in thinking that there's something shite about the 1.6 tdci in the focus from around year 2010 onwards? (Someones looking for help buying a new motor...)

With regular servicing they were the best diesel engine fitted to the focus, without regular servicing they were probably the worst!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,371 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Isnt that the same PSA engine from the 407 Peugeot? If so they have a lot of issues and unless you're prepared for a lot of hassle I would steer clear. The 2.0 PSA is a good bit better (the aul lad has one in a 407 at 400k km still running grand)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

8 or 16 valve?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

8 or 16 valve?

Nothing too specific yet, she only sent on some donedeal links. The ideal would be something that has reliability as a priority. Thinking hybrid if possible. Anyway, I've a thread in buying to see what people think!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057936853

The E46 still in the garage. Got it back on Saturday, initially delighted with how the car was driving (the ride is so much better now) but after only a few miles of driving I found I was getting vibrations and what sounded like a flat tyre. It kept increasing in frequency and in noise as the speeds increased.

I'm almost certain it's nothing to do with the garage but a new fault. Feels like a sticky caliper, a common problem with these cars and they tend to stick with no advanced warning.

The upshot of this is it's getting the diff bearings fixed this week instead!

How much is the diff going to cost you? I think mine is developing some sort of hum out of the rear passenger side wheel. Haven't investigated yet, hopefully not a wheel bearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

How much is the diff going to cost you? I think mine is developing some sort of hum out of the rear passenger side wheel. Haven't investigated yet, hopefully not a wheel bearing.

A good few hundred lids minimum, not sure of the exact cost yet! Don't really care (within reason) either so long as it goes away and leaves me in peace!

Mine has a few things going on
    - worn wheel bearing like noise above ~40 km/h, there regardless of throttle
    - grumbling noise above 60 ish under any kind of acceleration
    - booming noise around 115 or so under acceleration from the right hand side

Maybe you have some of these symptoms as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I see a dealer that I pass by going to and from work has a 15 audi A4. Fairly standard with the 17 inch alloys. I noticed that they changed the alloys to those 19s (grey, off the black edition) and upped the price by a grand. Car sits too high now. Strange enough to change rims like that is it not??! Fair enough if a customer has requested it.. Makes it more desirable maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The idea is that it will make it more desirable to lads in their twenties. It's pretty common place with dealers up North too if you have a look at similar A4s, 3 Series for sale by dealers up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Changing to bigger alloys shouldn't have any effect on how high it sits though should it? Bigger alloys have lower profile tyres so overall diameter should stay the same. Or am I wrong? On my last car i went from 18" alloys to 19" but tyre sizes went from 245/45 on front to 245/40 so no change to height.

rex-x wrote: »
    With regular servicing they were the best diesel engine fitted to the focus, without regular servicing they were probably the worst!

Even with regular servicing there were common turbo failure issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The new Civic turbos seem to be giving quite a bit of trouble also. 2 people local to me bought brand new last year and have both had to have the turbo replaced at very low mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

I see a dealer that I pass by going to and from work has a 15 audi A4. Fairly standard with the 17 inch alloys. I noticed that they changed the alloys to those 19s (grey, off the black edition) and upped the price by a grand. Car sits too high now. Strange enough to change rims like that is it not??! Fair enough if a customer has requested it.. Makes it more desirable maybe?

Yes I think 18s are the sweet spot that’s what’s on my A4. To get any kind of comfort with 19s you’d want adaptive suspension. Depends as well the S-Line suspension is fine with 18s but the SE suspension is a lot softer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I have a 15 with 19" wheels from the factory and it's so fcuking rough to drive I cannot see the advantage in them at all. I had a long spin today and she robbed my car and my body was in bits when I got home...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think the S Line is aimed at a more youthful customer Mal :D

colm_mcm wrote: »

My S-Line with 18s is very comfortable. But I am 24 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

:(:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I am strongly against large rims if you ask me. :p

First thing I done to my newly bought car was putting smaller wheels on. Less likely to do any damage while driving on rural roads, full of potholes. :(

From economical point of wiev it's logical too, as I have to buy a set of new tyres once a year, and in most cases smaller is cheaper. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Yeah I put 19's on a car that had 17's before and it rendered the handling absolutely useless. There's people far smarter than me paid to set up these cars when they're being designed.

It’s a balancing act 15 and 16 inch are cheap to buy but look terrible small on most modern cars way too much rubber sidewall visable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

CIP4 wrote: »
    [...] look terrible [...]

IMO that's just a matter of individual taste. What looks terrible for yourself can easily be perfect for someone else.

Each to their own. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

A car reversed into me an hour ago. A bit of a scrape on my back bumper, and a new reg needed. She hit me. However more damage done to hers, so I said we just look after our own. She said ok. Do I need to log this with the guards and insurance company?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Log it. You don't want her to come back in 3 weeks to an open claim on your policy. In fact if she reversed into you why are you fixing your own?:confused::confused:

Log it. You don't want her to come back in 3 weeks to an open claim on your policy. In fact if she reversed into you why are you fixing your own?:confused::confused:

The cheek and impotence from her, I wouldn't want to be in contact with her again. She lives local, was flying. And had a friend with her to try blame me. Said she rang her cousin who works for an insurance company, and they said it sounds 50/50. I have her reg anyway, she only has half of mine, as I put the broken half in the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

beertons wrote: »
    The cheek and impotence from her, I wouldn't want to be in contact with her again. She lives local, was flying. And had a friend with her to try blame me. Said she rang her cousin who works for an insurance company, and they said it sounds 50/50. I have her reg anyway, she only has half of mine, as I put the broken half in the boot.

Sorry but that all smells of piss. She has a witness, do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Hope you took photos and all because she'll end up going insurance and doing you.

• Advertisement

Sorry but that all smells of piss. She has a witness, do you?

Nope, I was on my own.

Didn't get any photos as I don't have a camera. The one on my phone doesn't work, as the kids have dropped it so much.

I'll pop up to the station when the kids go to bed. I'll write down all I remember in the mean time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement