Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What happens to the price of second-hand cars on 1st January?

• 09-12-2018 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭

I was looking at a used car yesterday. So, in three weeks, the car becomes one year older, and of course, age is very important when it comes to the price of used cars.

Should I wait until January and look again?

Does anyone know how it works? Presumably, the dealer isn't going to reduce the price of all his used cars by 20% on 1st January.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Would really only effect cars less than 1/2/3 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This question gets asked here frequently this time every year. Used cars don't systematically drop in price in January. Dealers drop their prices around mid November to try and clear stock before end of year in participation for the influx of new trade-ins they take in against brand new cars in the new year. I'd expect a more realistic price drop in late March when new cars sales taper off and they are trying to clear the trade-ins they took in against them.

• Moderators Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Slasher wrote: »
    Does anyone know how it works? Presumably, the dealer isn't going to reduce the price of all his used cars by 20% on 1st January.

Correct!

I would guess it would depend on the year of the car. Older 2nd hand cars would likely just keep their price regardless. I've never seen it actually happen to a car I was interested in, but i'd suspect anything for sale right now would keep it's price, and any new 2nd hand stock (trade ins etc.) would perhaps get a bit cheaper as more new cars are bought in the early days of the year.

All just my thoughts though, im sure someone else here would have more practical information.

Advertisement