Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bloodhound Superonic project terminated

Options
  • 07-12-2018 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭

Mods, please move if this belongs elsewhere.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-46480342

Not a surprise really that it's been wound up.
    They've been working on the design forever to try to eliminate all danger.
    They really needed a modern day Craig Breedlove to sit in the bloody thing and break the record or die trying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

A shame but it's been so long in gestation that this is no surprise. Crazy, expensive vanity project, I'm surprised some UAE Sheikh doesn't have rummage behind the sofa to see it though.

Only another £25 million needed to get to South Africa. What is powering it, £50 notes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Crazy, expensive vanity project

I have to disagree with this. Record breaking in any field is about pushing boundaries and not sitting on your laurels. Expensive yes, crazy, maybe but not vanity. This is not some random billionaire rolling up for a laugh or PR stunt, but a team with a track record, led by a man who has been in the business since the 80's.

Is going 1,000 MPH necessary? No, but neither is going to the moon, climbing Everest, etc. But, we have men and women like these to thank for moving us out of the cave.

But do agree with your other points, it was dragging on which is never a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I have to disagree with this. Record breaking in any field is about pushing boundaries and not sitting on your laurels. Expensive yes, crazy, maybe but not vanity. This is not some random billionaire rolling up for a laugh or PR stunt, but a team with a track record, led by a man who has been in the business since the 80's.

Is going 1,000 MPH necessary? No, but neither is going to the moon, climbing Everest, etc. But, we have men and women like these to thank for moving us out of the cave.

But do agree with your other points, it was dragging on which is never a good sign.
    It's barely in the category of land vehicle imo.

It's basically a plane that doesn't take off.

I'd be much more impressed if they could build an actual car capable of half the record speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'd be much more impressed if they could build an actual car capable of half the record speed.

You mean with pistons and crankshafts and stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

josip wrote: »

Something that vaguely resembles a car would do.

These things are just missiles with wheels (and no explosives :) ) its basically just how fast can we get a jet engine to move on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Agree that it's not much use for the weekly shop:) But I still think there is some value in the project. If, in 100 years, the current record is not beaten, what will that say about humanity? Maybe that we got wise and stooped burning fossil fuel, or maybe that we stopped trying?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

But I still think there is some value in the project. If, in 100 years, the current record is not beaten, what will that say about humanity?

Maybe you are being tongue in cheek but hopefully humanity will not be judged by our failure to go faster than the last person who went fastest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

They got this 50 year old yoke going in August :) :

• Registered Users Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭josip

gctest50 wrote: »
    They got this 50 year old yoke going in August :) :

Not exactly Climb Dance that movie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

has happy little pushrods tho :

rp6Rq6q.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

250k seems like a bargain price for the likes of Jay Leno.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

josip wrote: »
    Not necessarily, but at least something where the wheels are driving the thing.

Advertisement