Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valencia Marathon 2018

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Scampwolf

The crowd was odd. I've never seen people who genuinely didn't seem to care about walking right across in front of you.
    Not sure how I felt about the Benny Hill music either

Me...i PBd...happy good steady neg split...am currenty in T on T.... fairly tired so will not stay long I'd say...anybody else here?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

Scampwolf wrote: »
    Me...i PBd...happy good steady neg split...am currenty in T on T.... fairly tired so will not stay long I'd say...anybody else here?

We’re on the way now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I'll be down in 2 minutes

Ah FFS, missed me fooking alarm and train. Whose idea was it to continue in the other place???

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

only surfacing now myself..really enjoyed the few pints, great to meet everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 goodtiming

Itziger wrote: »
    Ah FFS, missed me fooking alarm and train. Whose idea was it to continue in the other place???

How's idea was it to book a 6am train:D

Good to meet you all last night....the beers softened up the muscles a bit.

Hope you made it home alright in the end. Was a long day getting back to Dublin after the few beers and the run. Great to meet all of you lads.

We'll be expecting a long, detailed Race Report Green Devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

BIB|Name|PB|Goal|Result
    18389|terminator74|03:18:00|02:59:59|
    22860|Scampwolf|03:51:00|03:49:59|
    18980|and still ricky villa|03:09:00|02:59:59|
    14062|Goodtiming|N/A|04:15:00|
    03005|Diablo Verde|03:06:16|02:59:59|2:59:09
    18370|MrMacPhisto|2:47:17|TBD|2:55:00

Hopefully this works....

We'll be expecting a long, detailed Race Report Green Devil.

Your wish is my command.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108795907#post108795907

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭terminator74

RACE REPORT - VALENCIA MARATHON

So it’s been a long road getting to the start line for this one. As per previous posts, the intention was to run DCM. But a stress response and 5 weeks recovery put paid to that. I ran 18 mile of DCM (15 @ MP) and was out for another 7 days with a calf strain. I really didn’t enjoy the run in to the marathon – I had a load of niggles and a troublesome arch. So for race week the confidence was low and I really didn’t know what to expect. My last pre-race run in Valencia on Saturday had me worried with a sore arch and heel.
    No issues the morning of the race. Fuelled and hydrated, strolled down to race start. It was crowded but well organised. Weather conditions perfect at 8.30am. First few miles were good. My arch and foot was feeling fine so I took some confidence from that. My intention was to keep it steady at 6.28-6.30 min miles/4 min per km. No issues at all really for the first 10mile and was happy with the race to this point. I went through 13.1/half way in 1.24ish. Exactly to plan.
    From 14 on I could feel a bit of soreness/fatigue starting to kick in but I kept mile 14-17 steady around 6.28 ave. pace. Mile 18 was when some anxiety kicked in… the quads were really sore and I was getting a bit pissed as it was earlier than I had expected. Mile 18 was 6.33 and mile 19 hit 6.40. In my head I was thinking if I could keep it at this it would be ok but Mile 20 onwards was just a suffer-fest. Really not pretty and the legs would not move any faster. At this stage I just wanted to get home and put myself out of misery. I stopped looking at my watch from mile 24 on and just slogged home as best I could. I was haemorrhaging places big time for the last 4 miles.
    Delighted to finish in one piece and was reasonably happy with time after the previous month. But if I’m honest with myself, I would not have been happy with the time when I set out to train back in May when the target was to get as close as possible to 2.45. Looking back at my mileage the lack of a couple of 20+ mile runs post DCM meant I couldn’t cope with the quad fatigue. I missed a good few interval sessions that should have been done in phase 3. 66% of my mileage was done between June and start September. With these numbers a sub 2.50 was highly unlikely.
    I would highly recommend the marathon. Unbelievable support, great organisation, flat as a pancake and the city seems to really embrace it. Anyway will take stock and start the next plan. Probably won’t do another marathon until 2020 and will focus on XC and 5k’s next year
    Really enjoyed meeting all the Boards crew for drinks and war stories after. Was lovely to meet you all and I hope our paths cross again
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1995808485/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

BIB|Name|PB|Goal|Result
    18389|terminator74|03:18:00|02:59:59|
    22860|Scampwolf|03:51:00|03:49:59|
    18980|and still ricky villa|03:09:00|02:59:59|03:07:41
    14062|Goodtiming|N/A|04:15:00|
    03005|Diablo Verde|03:06:16|02:59:59|2:59:09
    18370|MrMacPhisto|2:47:17|TBD|2:55:00

2019 reg is open!!

42 yoyos for the 2018 boyos and 50 for the rest of us. 55 with the day licence fee (that extra 5er sounds like it goes to a massive dinner for the organisers)

Very good value though. Very good.

Any one have any thoughts on Malaga next year?
    I know, I know but I'm a glutton for punishment

Direct flights is the main enticement

Advertisement