Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Trailer

Options
  • 04-08-2020 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Any opinions or ideas on what is best to buy?

I'd be primarily using it for a trials bike so they are light enough. I have a V-Strom 1000 too and wondered if I ever needed to bring that somewhere then I guess the same trailer would suffice but I'd be more confident getting a lighter 250cc trials up on a trailer rather than a 250kg Strom up on it.

Scares the sh!te out of me thinking about driving that up one of these (a big heavy bike that is).

Anyway if anyone has any experience of buying anything similar or had experience of putting one up on one.
    5951499db4ab005565113bdf7102be4d.jpg

I mean if you had something like this then at least you've somewhere to balance your feet when on the bigger bike.
    shadow-motorcycle-trailer.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd see about putting extra plates on the 1st one for your feet.

The 2nd will be very heavy for just pulling 1 bike and you'll have to buy ramps which will put you in the same position when loading it as the 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

I bolted a proper wheel chock on to my trailer after the bike fell over when I tried to strap it down. At least you've the peace of mind the bike is held while you tie down.
    Good call on somewhere for you feet, I bolted a plank on, it's too easy to slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

@jay48 So when you drive the bike (no matter what size) the wheel chock holds it straight up and balances it securely?

sirmixalot wrote: »
    @jay48 So when you drive the bike (no matter what size) the wheel chock holds it straight up and balances it securely?

Yep, they one I have is adjustable for different size wheels. It looks a bit odd on the trailer but once the bike is in it it's held and you can walk around and strap the bike down instead of trying to hold the bike with one hand and strap with the other.

jay48 wrote: »
    Yep, they one I have is adjustable for different size wheels. It looks a bit odd on the trailer but once the bike is in it it's held and you can walk around and strap the bike down instead of trying to hold the bike with one hand and strap with the other.

Cheers, would let me know the make of one you got?

• Advertisement

I think it's a bike TEC, got it in cotters. Basically the top bracket has 3 holes to adjust and the bottom has 2 if you need to carry bikes with different size front wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

That's quite a dinky little solution

There are also teh ground loading type trailers which drop teh floor to the ground so that you can drive straight up on it, tie up teh bike and then lift the floor back up. There wassomeone selling versions of these on Donedeal a while back.

Like these
    https://razortrailers.com/

or these

https://youtu.be/l_AkPfyPCO4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

gn3dr wrote: »
    That's quite a dinky little solution

There are also teh ground loading type trailers which drop teh floor to the ground so that you can drive straight up on it, tie up teh bike and then lift the floor back up. There wassomeone selling versions of these on Donedeal a while back.

Like these
    https://razortrailers.com/

or these

https://youtu.be/l_AkPfyPCO4

What I like about the motolug is it can be stored in the shed or attic etc and also - it can be carried in the boot of a car so no need to be towing when empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Is there a weight limit you can pull on a standard car licence in Ireland ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

D3V!L wrote: »
    Is there a weight limit you can pull on a standard car licence in Ireland ?

Once the combination does not exceed 3.5t, your car is heavier than the trailer and it is rated to tow the weight of the trailer you are good to go. If the MAM/DGVW of the trailer is <750kg you can go up to 4.25t.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

im also looking for a bike trailer (i think). Looking for something to tow behind a motorhome that will take a bike on one side, but have some form of storage on the other side for storing stuff. I cant find anything online that looks suitable. ANy suggestions welcome

something like this looks resonable, and then custom make a box for it... .

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-100-motorcycle-trailer/8076056

OTBiNjFjMDRkZDdlY2I3OTg2ZGE2MDcxYTJiMGQ5ZGaxnjTRy2JZqSai3Vm-_Z93aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzkxMzE1MjV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

A
    Scares the sh!te out of me thinking about driving that up one of these (a big heavy bike that is).

Never ever ride a bike onto a trailer, it's a recipe for disaster.

Never ever ride a bike onto a trailer, it's a recipe for disaster.

And this is what I'm clueless about, I'd have no problem with a 250GasGas, can throw those things around the place no probs but it's the 1000cc yoke, what do others do, I'm sure I could push a 500cc bike up and keep stable but not the other, do folk normally get another pair of hands to help?...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Probably the best for that kind of thing is a Easytrail Hydralift, you ride on at ground level and then use a hydraulic jack to raise it so you can fit the castering wheels, then drop it down so the wheels support most of the load.
    http://www.easylifter.co.uk/hydra-trail.htm

And this is what I'm clueless about, I'd have no problem with a 250GasGas, can throw those things around the place no probs but it's the 1000cc yoke, what do others do, I'm sure I could push a 500cc bike up and keep stable but not the other, do folk normally get another pair of hands to help?...

Either get someone to help you or walk it up in first gear.

Advertisement