Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late 2012 MacBook Pro Failure

Options
  • 29-07-2020 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Have a late 2012 MacBook Pro, 8GB, 128 GB SSD, no issues at all until two weeks ago, when it just wouldn't turn on. Tried a different power adapter and a different room, no luck. No lights on the keyboard or noise at any point. MagSafe power adaptor doesn't light up at any point. Left it plugged in with two seperate power adapters for a few hours. Tried to reset the SMC but no difference.

At the moment need a laptop very urgently for work, so bit the bullet and upgraded.

Any ideas what could be the issue? Where in Dublin is best to get this looked at? Compu B? And any idea how much these are selling for second-hand at the moment - wondering if it is even cost effective at this point to consider repairing +/- selling/giving to my parents, or should I just cut my losses at this stage?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AlanBerr

Bring it to Mactivate in Blanchardstown. They’ll diagnose without charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I had this happen once and I discovered a metal staple that was in my bag had stuck to the magnet in the power socket. Almost invisible when I first looked but eventually sussed it.

Anything metallic that gets stuck in the socket will prevent the power lead making the connection meaning the charge light can't come on. It's possible that the battery wasted while it was turned off in standby mode which could be why the laptop appears 'dead' ?

Ken

Advertisement