Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photographer issue

Options
  • 21-09-2019 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, my fiancée are I are in a bit of a tricky one. So we got engaged almost a year ago and started looking into the major bits (venue, photographer and band) around Easter time to get those big things booked. Very happy with the venue and band. I first got in contact with the photographer in March. Her website and reviews are great. She normally works by meeting the couple for a coffee, discussing what they want and if the couple are happy, they pay the deposit to have the date secured etc.
    I was living in Dublin in March so told her I'd be home around Easter to meet up. I have since permanently moved down to the area where the wedding will be and she is also from there. She informed me she would meet over Easter, it never happened. She told me she was busy and would be up in Dublin soon and gave me a date. I emailed her around said date and she then said "Oh sorry, I won't actually be around then". Since then, I emailed again to let her know I had moved down and would be delighted to meet when suited her. She said she would contact. I heard nothing, despite her continuously posting online. She wrote on Instagram recently saying "haven't forgotten you, things are so busy etc etc'. It's not a case where I'm being pushy at all, I feel, I just want to have something booked, which she should understand.
    I feel quite cross about the whole thing. The venue and band both made us a priority, despite booking quite far out and I just get a bad vibe from interactions. It's been six months since I initially contacted her. Has anyone had a similar experience? I spoke to a friend who is a wedding co-ordinator and she said straight away to consider booking someone else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭jellybear

That's an awful situation to be in. I think, if it were me, I'd send a final email just saying you're eager to meet as this was agreed 6 months ago and maybe give a timeframe- in the next two weeks/month. I would say if this is not possible, you won't be continuing with the booking. I'd suggest contacting some other photographers to see about their availability etc in case you do have to book someone else. Hope you get sorted soon. The photographer is a big part of the day and it's not a great way for her to start off the relationship. It hasn't given you the confidence you should have in her.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Just think, after the wedding, what will she be like in terms of getting the pictures to you? I had to chase a vendor after our wedding and it was horrible. If she’s this hard to pin down BEFORE you’ve paid her, what will she be like when she has your money in her pocket?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Try to organise a new photographer quick, this person sounds like trouble before you've begun..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

www.photographers.ie (which seems to be down at the moment)

Or just Google wedding photographers and whatever county you are getting married in.

As others have said.... Get yourself another photographer, the one you had decided on seems to not making herself available (6months is far too long to try arrange a meet up)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

www.photographers.ie (which seems to be down at the moment)

Or just Google wedding photographers and whatever county you are getting married in.

As others have said.... Get yourself another photographer, the one you had decided on seems to not making herself available (6months is far too long to try arrange a meet up)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Plenty of good photographers out there would be happy to get your business, book someone else and forget about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Faith wrote: »
    Just think, after the wedding, what will she be like in terms of getting the pictures to you? I had to chase a vendor after our wedding and it was horrible. If she’s this hard to pin down BEFORE you’ve paid her, what will she be like when she has your money in her pocket?
    This is a very good point. Didn't even consider that. Thank you.

tedpan wrote: »
    Try to organise a new photographer quick, this person sounds like trouble before you've begun..
    Thank you. My gut feeling is there for a reason.

jellybear wrote: »
    That's an awful situation to be in. I think, if it were me, I'd send a final email just saying you're eager to meet as this was agreed 6 months ago and maybe give a timeframe- in the next two weeks/month. I would say if this is not possible, you won't be continuing with the booking. I'd suggest contacting some other photographers to see about their availability etc in case you do have to book someone else. Hope you get sorted soon. The photographer is a big part of the day and it's not a great way for her to start off the relationship. It hasn't given you the confidence you should have in her.
    Thank you for that. I think what I will do is book someone else and say nothing to her for the moment. I'll wait for her to contact me and then explain. I shouldn't have to be doing the chasing. Solid advice. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭jellybear

You're dead right to follow your gut! I can highly recommend Give us a Goo photography. We had Phil for our wedding and he was amazing to deal with :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Life’s too short for this. Book someone else and don’t contact her any more.
    When you originally approached her she should have been able to
    A. Easily check that she was free to shoot your event
    B. Make a date with you in her diary to meet up.
    It’s really not that difficult if your running a professional service.
    You don’t need this uncertainty

splinter65 wrote: »
    Life’s too short for this. Book someone else and don’t contact her any more.
    When you originally approached her she should have been able to
    A. Easily check that she was free to shoot your event
    B. Make a date with you in her diary to meet up.
    It’s really not that difficult if your running a professional service.
    You don’t need this uncertainty
    Thank you. That's just reconfirming exactly how I felt. It's not a professional way to behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

jellybear wrote: »
    You're dead right to follow your gut! I can highly recommend Give us a Goo photography. We had Phil for our wedding and he was amazing to deal with :)

We've booked him for our wedding next May. He's a pleasure to deal with so far.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Very unprofessional and people like her give us photographers a bad name.
    Move on and find someone else.

Very unprofessional and people like her give us photographers a bad name.
    Move on and find some else.

THIS. Exactly. We have decided we don't want to give her our business anymore because of the way she has carried on. So bizarre. We are now looking at another girl who has immediately responded to everything and seems so lovely. Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

cazzer22 wrote: »
    I was living in Dublin in March so told her I'd be home around Easter to meet up. I have since permanently moved down to the area where the wedding will be and she is also from there. She informed me she would meet over Easter, it never happened. She told me she was busy and would be up in Dublin soon and gave me a date. I emailed her around said date and she then said "Oh sorry, I won't actually be around then". Since then, I emailed again to let her know I had moved down and would be delighted to meet when suited her. She said she would contact. I heard nothing, despite her continuously posting online. She wrote on Instagram recently saying "haven't forgotten you, things are so busy etc etc'. It's not a case where I'm being pushy at all, I feel, I just want to have something booked, which she should understand.
    I feel quite cross about the whole thing. The venue and band both made us a priority, despite booking quite far out and I just get a bad vibe from interactions. It's been six months since I initially contacted her. Has anyone had a similar experience? I spoke to a friend who is a wedding co-ordinator and she said straight away to consider booking someone else.

Um, can't you just ring her and find out one way or the other?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

davo2001 wrote: »

She’s not interested in shooting the wedding.
    If she was she’d have followed up with them like she said she would.
    Why would they waste time chasing her?

davo2001 wrote: »

Why would I waste my time? She also didn't provide a number on her website, otherwise I would've called a long time ago. Most photographers that I've researched only provide email addresses. Also, no need for the tone on your comment. I'm just asking for advice.

She also didn't provide a number on her website,

Seriously? She didn't provide a contact number? RED FLAG immediately!
    Most photographers that I've researched only provide email addresses.

Seriously? What sort of photographers were you looking at? I've been in this business a long time and I don't know any professional photographer who doesn't provide full contact details including mobile, landline, email and an actual physical address.

Seriously? She didn't provide a contact number? RED FLAG immediately!

Seriously? What sort of photographers were you looking at? I've been in this business a long time and I don't know any professional photographer who doesn't provide full contact details including mobile, landline, email and an actual physical address.

I came here about a specific example, looking for advice and you're not really offering that in my opinion. FYI, I've spent the last year looking at photographers, getting recommendations and haven't found a contact number as yet. Just because you've been in the business a long time, doesn't mean that you have experience of every photographer. Most I've come across do a contact form approach where you reply on their website or through their social media. It doesn't make them any less professional, I feel.
    Also, I get that you're saying that's a red flag, but it seems to be the way things are going.
    I don't understand why you're finding fault with me here either, I did all I could with this photographer and she isn't playing ball, it seems.

• Advertisement

I came here about a specific example, looking for advice and you're not really offering that in my opinion.

I think I did in an earlier reply and you agreed with me. (Run a mile was the gist of my advice).
    FYI, I've spent the last year looking at photographers, getting recommendations and haven't found a contact number as yet. Just because you've been in the business a long time, doesn't mean that you have experience of every photographer. Most I've come across do a contact form approach where you reply on their website or through their social media. It doesn't make them any less professional, I feel.

I do have a lot of experience with other photographers on a personal and professional level. Again I wonder at the type pf photographer you were researching when "most" of them only have a contact form and no other way of getting in touch. If they don't have "proper" contact details then they are not professional - that's just my opinion.
    Also, I get that you're saying that's a red flag, but it seems to be the way things are going.

No, that's not the way things are going. Professional [insert profession here] will NOT hide their contact details - unless they don't want to be contacted.
    I don't understand why you're finding fault with me here either, I did all I could with this photographer and she isn't playing ball, it seems.

My apologies if you feel I'm getting at you, I don't mean to and I hope everything works out brilliantly on your big day.

My apologies if you feel I'm getting at you, I don't mean to and I hope everything works out brilliantly on your big day.[/quote]

I do understand where you're coming from, but the tone is suggesting that I'm only searching people who are unprofessional and I dont know what I'm doing etc. I've done a lot of research in the area and perhaps this is how people in this area (where I'm getting married) operate. I appreciate the advice you gave earlier in the thread and I understand what you're saying, but tone is important. Thank you for the nice wishes, also.
    We have hopefully found another great photographer who has made the process very easy so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I came here about a specific example, looking for advice and you're not really offering that in my opinion. FYI, I've spent the last year looking at photographers, getting recommendations and haven't found a contact number as yet.

Ah here, i just googled 'Wedding photographers' and the county I live in and had a whole list displayed of links, the google maps image showed where they were located and their mobile number, and I clicked on a couple of the links and one of the first things I could see on their website was their mobile number.

That whole search took me about 30 seconds and I had the names and contact details of four people within 30 miles of me.

Ah here, i just googled 'Wedding photographers' and the county I live in and had a whole list displayed of links, the google maps image showed where they were located and their mobile number, and I clicked on a couple of the links and one of the first things I could see on their website was their mobile number.

That whole search took me about 30 seconds and I had the names and contact details of four people within 30 miles of me.

Super. That's great. Hope all works out with the planning and you get someone you're happy with.

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice. MOD you can close the thread pretty please!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement