Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,725 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Eod100 wrote: »
    It's not a simple case of wave a magic wand and transport 31 squad, staff, officials etc to stadiums at different part of country

Having just left that country, it really is that simple. The transport system is incredible. If there was a will for the games to be played, they would have been played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

AdamD wrote: »
    Having just left that country, it really is that simple. The transport system is incredible. If there was a will for the games to be played, they would have been played.

Trains into and out of Tokyo have been cancelled. Domestic flights into and out of Tokyo have been cancelled.

I don't think people appreciate that this isn't just a spell of rain and a stiff breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Blud wrote: »
    It's a world cup, not a benefit match. I'm delighted those lads enjoyed their beers, but FFS.

I'm guessing that you never played sport at a national or international level. That you never went to a world championships. That you never faced the best in the world and gave it everything you had, representing your country, your local club, your family knowing that you didn't have a chance of beating them but you were going to bust your arse trying. At the end of it there was nothing but pride in the effort and respect from your opponents.

You just sit there on the couch telling them how **** they are and that they don't deserve to be there. I'm guessing you aren't a fan of De Coubertin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I still think an incredibly easy contingency plan was to put a rest week between the pools and knock outs which would have doubled up as a catch all for sky weather affected games.

Yes, it gives a bit of down time and maybe if the weather was fine, people would lament it but if there was a spare week to push those two games (and perhaps Scotlands game) into, people would have understood.

It's not an expensive or difficult contingency.

Also, I'm really tired of people saying that protection of life is more important. Of course it is. Nobody is saying otherwise. People are attacking the lack of contingency issues not suggesting that they play in the middle of a typhoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,459 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It beggars belief that World Rugby have left themselves as hostages to fortune by sitting on their hands until Sunday morning as well...

72 hours was definitely enough time to ensure that that game gets played. They'll have some serious crap to deal with if Scotland get sent packing without a toss of a ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

a part of me wanted the Scots to be ruled out due to the Typhoon, just to spite them for turning their backs on us in the World Cup 2023 Voting process

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

As Alan Quinlan said on Off the Ball though, how could they expected to have contingency plans in place for every pool game?

Not being smart, well sorta not, but the answer is in his question, you plan for it. It's not easy, but not rocket science either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so what happens if.....Ireland lose to Samoa and the Japan v Scotland game is cancelled ?? who goes through in that scenario?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,725 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Trains into and out of Tokyo have been cancelled. Domestic flights into and out of Tokyo have been cancelled.

I don't think people appreciate that this isn't just a spell of rain and a stiff breeze.

They weren't cancelled when world rugby made their decision. The teams could have been moved on Monday. This is not as difficult as people want to make out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Hurrache wrote: »
    Not being smart, well sorta not, but the answer is in his question, you plan for it. It's not easy, but not rocket science either.

You didn't quote my other bit where he pointed to the variables involved. How do you know stadium won't move and affect stadiums where matches or moved to? Or other games to be played and then they would need to be moved? I know Ireland is fortunate enough not to get extreme weather conditions but think a bit of common sense is needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

fryup wrote: »
    so what happens if.....Ireland lose to Samoa and the Japan v Scotland game is cancelled ?? who goes through in that scenario?

If we get a LBP or TBP we go through. If we don't get any points we go home if other game is cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Scotland have named their 23:
    Scotland (v Japan, Sunday)

15. Stuart Hogg – 71 caps
    14. Tommy Seymour – 54 caps
    13. Chris Harris – 13 caps
    12. Sam Johnson – 8 caps
    11. Darcy Graham – 10 caps
    10. Finn Russell – 48 caps
    9. Greig Laidlaw (capt) – 75 caps
    1. Allan Dell – 27 caps
    2. Fraser Brown – 45 caps
    3. Willem Nel – 34 caps
    4. Grant Gilchrist – 39 caps
    5. Jonny Gray – 54 caps
    6. Magnus Bradbury – 10 caps
    7. Jamie Ritchie – 13 caps
    8. Blade Thomson – 4 caps

Substitutes:
    16. Stuart McInally – 32 caps
    17. Gordon Reid – 40 caps
    18. Zander Fagerson – 24 caps
    19. Scott Cummings – 7 caps
    20. Ryan Wilson – 48 caps
    21. George Horne – 9 caps
    22. Pete Horne – 44 caps
    23. Blair Kinghorn – 16 caps

typhoony wrote: »
    a part of me wanted the Scots to be ruled out due to the Typhoon, just to spite them for turning their backs on us in the World Cup 2023 Voting process

You'd be spiting yourself though. Draw and we go 2nd to play NZ with them having 14 day turn around.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Does anyone think this? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I'm guessing that you never played sport at a national or international level. That you never went to a world championships. That you never faced the best in the world and gave it everything you had, representing your country, your local club, your family knowing that you didn't have a chance of beating them but you were going to bust your arse trying. At the end of it there was nothing but pride in the effort and respect from your opponents.

This kills your point dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I still think an incredibly easy contingency plan was to put a rest week between the pools and knock outs which would have doubled up as a catch all for sky weather affected games.

Yes, it gives a bit of down time and maybe if the weather was fine, people would lament it but if there was a spare week to push those two games (and perhaps Scotlands game) into, people would have understood.

It's not an expensive or difficult contingency.

Also, I'm really tired of people saying that protection of life is more important. Of course it is. Nobody is saying otherwise. People are attacking the lack of contingency issues not suggesting that they play in the middle of a typhoon.

That wouldnt work from a travelling supporters point of view, you now have to pay for 2 weeks accomodation so see a pool and QF game?

• Site Banned Posts: 68 ✭✭Fornevermore

This is embarrassing for rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,453 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i dont think anyone thinks that but are the teams now sitting in hotel somewhere where buildings could b e flattened or have they been moved out of harms way already - and maybe that was the major consideration.

fans are now sitting in the impact zone because they were expecting to be in that location for the game.

if these two points are true then no thought for the fans was given

as people are saying its turned into farce and with rest times for teams not playing this weekend turned the rest of the competition into a joke

lawred2 wrote: »
    Their heroes... Uuurghh

These are grown men not school boys.

Real and meaningful annual competition is what developing nations need not a 4 yearly ceremonial routing.

The first month of the RWC is a hard sell really. It's great for the players involved for sure but it's not a competition.

Their words. Listen or read some of the interviews from the players involved.

I absolutely agree that Tier 2 and 3 teams need more matches against Tier 1 sides between RWCs but don't kick them out of the RWC just because they can't win it. Yes the 50 and 60 point hidings aren't great. Has there been a 70 pointer at this RWC yet? However these gaps are closing. I'm pretty sure that from 1995 to 2007 there was a couple of 100 point matches at each RWC. I know Namibia, Japan and Italy have conceded 100 points in a match at the RWC.

Actually some Tier 1 teams have been beaten by 50 or 60 points in the last decade. Maybe they shouldn't be allowed at world cups either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think that is wildly unfair and doesn't accurately represent literally anyone's view.

Also, as I understand it, the trains and flights are cancelled tomorrow. Even if they are cancelled today there was sufficient notice to get the teams and vital personnel moved.

• Advertisement

This kills your point dead.

How so? Just look at the Irish team. In the 90s they kept showing up in the 6 Nations despite repeated failure. For 111 years, they busted their arses in 28 matches against the ABs without success. Should they have just quit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

As Alan Quinlan said on Off the Ball though, how could they expected to have contingency plans in place for every pool game? And know which cities the typhoon would affect most to move games to other stadiums? It would be impossible to know in advance and seems to be far too many variables.
    You don't need an individual plan for each fixture, obviously that is impossible because of the knock on effects. You just set out the alternative options in order of preference. This could be something like (1) play game on day before/after (2) move game to an alternative venue and refund ticketholders who can't attend (3) move game to an alternative venue which meets the requirements for a game (TMO facilities, etc.), have no fans in stadium and refund everyone. It's not that difficult.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I think that is wildly unfair and doesn't accurately represent literally anyone's view.

Also, as I understand it, the trains and flights are cancelled tomorrow. Even if they are cancelled today there was sufficient notice to get the teams and vital personnel moved.

The context was that this was in response to a comment that "it really is that simple" - it's clearly not.

If the solutions were as obvious as we all seem to think, then I think World Rugby would have done it. I have no idea what options were looked at but you have to assume there is a good reason that they felt cancelling was the best move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭Christy42

The context was that this was in response to a comment that "it really is that simple" - it's clearly not.

If the solutions were as obvious as we all seem to think, then I think World Rugby would have done it. I have no idea what options were looked at but you have to assume there is a good reason that they felt cancelling was the best move.

Why do you have to assume that they took the best option? Can we criticize anyone now? Ah sure the probably took the best option.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

awec wrote: »
    They should not have picked Japan at this time of year in the first place.

That is where this issue is rooted, the selection of a host nation that has regular extreme weather conditions during the time frame of the competition.

The competition is a sham now, and I hope any of the teams dumped out as a result of game cancellation have some sort of legal avenue open to them to take World Rugby to the cleaners. It is the only way anything will change.

At most there will be 2 teams knocked out of the tournament as a direct result of the typhoon impact, Italy for certain and maybe either Scotland or Ireland.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Their words. Listen or read some of the interviews from the players involved.

I absolutely agree that Tier 2 and 3 teams need more matches against Tier 1 sides between RWCs but don't kick them out of the RWC just because they can't win it. Yes the 50 and 60 point hidings aren't great. Has there been a 70 pointer at this RWC yet? However these gaps are closing. I'm pretty sure that from 1995 to 2007 there was a couple of 100 point matches at each RWC. I know Namibia, Japan and Italy have conceded 100 points in a match at the RWC.

Actually some Tier 1 teams have been beaten by 50 or 60 points in the last decade. Maybe they shouldn't be allowed at world cups either.

exactly ... thats the main pick up im getting from these games in this RWC

the gap between tier 1 and the others is closing. The so called "lesser" teams are beating the bookies spreads quite often. Namibia can bring home the knowledge that they were only 1 point behind NZ after 30 mins, and build on that. Fiji have come close to wales and australia. Even russia grabbing 20 points against Japan would be seen as a success. Uruguay well deserved victors over fiji. Tonga almost doing another number on France.... and of course japan over ireland.

The gap is closing, and dare i say it even without meaningful help from World Rugby.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

"it really is that simple" was referencing transporting 100 odd people to elsewhere in the country. And that really doesn't seem like it would be particularly onerous.

I agree with the general sentiment. 9 times out of 10 when people are discussing something without full knowledge of the metrics that went into the decision, those who do know the details are correct. However, no one is beyond reproach and WR's attitude and complete lack of detail as to what alternatives they looked at and why they were impossible (despite their supposed in-depth contingency plans) leads me to think that it is possible they simply ****ed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

How so? Just look at the Irish team. In the 90s they kept showing up in the 6 Nations despite repeated failure. For 111 years, they busted their arses in 28 matches against the ABs without success. Should they have just quit?

Exactly! Really annoyed at many comments that I've read dismissing the Italians' genuine grievance by saying they wouldn't have won anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby-world-cup-2019/2019/1011/1082505-irish-pitch-concerns-in-fukuoka-ahead-of-samoa-clash/

Probably referred to already. One thing after another with this World Cup. What a disastrous decision to stage it in Japan especially at this time of the year. They should consider scrapping entirely and hold it next Autumn or Autumn 2021 in Europe instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,453 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

At most there will be 2 teams knocked out of the tournament as a direct result of the typhoon impact, Italy for certain and maybe either Scotland or Ireland.

and how is this ok ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭techdiver

Why do you think they didnt do it so? Its hardly in their commercial interest to cancel games with refunding of tickets etc. Thats before how it looks and implications on outcome of pool. You can blame poor preparation but then expecting to move games in short notice without that preparation seems contradictory.

Here is my thoughts on the issue. World Rugby confirmed (or let it slip during the week) that they have cancellation insurance in place in the event of games being cancelled. Now here is the issue. If they movie the games to another stadium behind closed doors they will still have to refund all ticket holders, corporate hospitality packages, media deals etc, but because the game goes ahead they will not be able to claim against the cancellation insurance. So my theory is simply that the will to play these games at all cost behind closed doors at an alternative venue is not there as it would come with a significant financial cost.

The simplest scenario for the Scotland v Japan game would have been to draw a line under it early in the week and move it to Fukuoka. Transport the smallest number of people from each camp possible (teams, coaches, skeletal support staff), and play it on Sunday in the same Stadium the Ireland v Samoa. You declare that the game is behind closed doors and make it clear to supporters not to travel as they will not be admitted.

This was all easily logistically possible with so much time to achieve it. They just didn't want to do this!

Bridge93 wrote: »
    The standard of the 24 wouldn’t be a whole lot worse than the 20 when you consider 3 teams better than Russia were disqualified to let them in. The issue will be the 4 new spots won’t all be in Europe, maybe 1 at most. You’ll get cannon fodder from Asia and South America too. Maybe another tiny pacific island or African side

IMO should there be 4 extra teams in the WC there would be guaranteed to be 1 each from Europe, Africa and Asia with the 4th place decided on intercontinental play offs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

techdiver wrote: »
    Here is my thoughts on the issue. World Rugby confirmed (or let it slip during the week) that they have cancellation insurance in place in the event of games being cancelled. Now here is the issue. If they movie the games to another stadium behind closed doors they will still have to refund all ticket holders, corporate hospitality packages, media deals etc, but because the game goes ahead they will not be able to claim against the cancellation insurance. So my theory is simply that the will to play these games at all cost behind closed doors at an alternative venue is not there as it would come with a significant financial cost.

The simplest scenario for the Scotland v Japan game would have been to draw a line under it early in the week and move it to Fukuoka. Transport the smallest number of people from each camp possible (teams, coaches, skeletal support staff), and play it on Sunday in the same Stadium the Ireland v Samoa. You declare that the game is behind closed doors and make it clear to supporters not to travel as they will not be admitted.

This was all easily logistically possible with so much time to achieve it. They just didn't want to do this!

If that's the case, it sounds pretty suspect.

But given the state of the pitch, I'm not sure it'd hold up to 2 games in 2 days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭techdiver

aloooof wrote: »
    If that's the case, it sounds pretty suspect.

But given the state of the pitch, I'm not sure it'd hold up to 2 games in 2 days?

I'm sure pitch conditions would be the least of concerns.

and how is this ok ?

I never stated it was OK. Just pointing out that at most 2 teams might have grounds for legal action due to being knocked out of the tournament as a result of cancellations.

• Advertisement

Very interesting if wholly unsurprising article on Jack Lam and the scumbaggery of some French clubs. You can only admire his dedication to his country but its a disgrace and horrible to see French (and I'm sure some other countries') clubs squeezing talent out of these teams when they have enough challenges as is.

https://www.the42.ie/samoa-world-cup-jack-lam-contracts-4846697-Oct2019/?utm_source=shortlink
    When Bristol released him at the end of last season, Lam had a number of approaches from French clubs to sign for them ahead of the 2019/20 campaign. Those contract offers came with one condition, however – giving up on playing at the 2019 World Cup and his Test rugby future.

“It was a no-brainer for me,” said Lam today after his team’s captain’s run in Fukuoka before tomorrow’s Pool A clash with Ireland.

“Those contracts in France I could have taken but their condition was that I had to turn down the World Cup and (the opportunity) to play for Samoa in the future as well.

“I just couldn’t do that. I see myself too much in the jersey and it just didn’t cross my mind.

“It was a bit of a risk, especially for my family, but my missus and family are all behind my decision. I’m not too sure what’s next for me at the moment. One or two things but, yeah, I’ll wait until after.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Finally a game to watch to distract from everything else

TheCitizen wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby-world-cup-2019/2019/1011/1082505-irish-pitch-concerns-in-fukuoka-ahead-of-samoa-clash/

Probably referred to already. One thing after another with this World Cup. What a disastrous decision to stage it in Japan especially at this time of the year. They should consider scrapping entirely and hold it next Autumn or Autumn 2021 in Europe instead.

They may consider doing that..........for maybe as long as 10 seconds. Utter nonsense.

The only person spouting this rubbish is Brian Moore and it has been refuted. NZ wanted the game moved forward to Friday and were told no.

Hey man, don't go against the anti-NZ rhetoric. It's tedious at the best of times, but now it's just plain ridiculous....and they haven't even done anything!

TheCitizen wrote: »

Because 2 games were cancelled, they should cancel the whole thing? And restage it 2 years before the next RWC in France, 2023 a few months after the Lions tour? Legitimate criticism is deserved but this hyperbole achieves nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Finally a game to watch to distract from everything else

Beale looks out of it there.

I don't think there's a scenario where Ireland can be knocked out as a result of typhoon if both games are cancelled. It would only be if Ireland game is cancelled and Japan/Scotland game goes ahead, which doesn't seem to be likely at all.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Why do you have to assume that they took the best option? Can we criticize anyone now? Ah sure the probably took the best option.

That's not what I said. I said they took what they felt was the best option.

Your idea of the best option, as a lad sitting in Ireland who wants to watch some rugby while waiting for Loose Women to come on, is probably very different to the best option for the people who actually have to organise the tournament, keep it on schedule and not put players or fans in harm's way.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

australia "doing an ireland" on it.....

techdiver wrote: »

Would cancellation insurance cover an event like a typhoon? Aside from that, I think if it was really down to financial hit, then they could have just absorbed it and taken the hit. Maybe there were added logistic costs too or they thought negative press would be worth it but I think it would be fairly short-sighted if decision was made on cost alone with no other considerations.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    australia "doing an ireland" on it.....

Hahaha. Touché!

Intense opening 20 here. Would love a good result for Georgia today. Australia absolutely smothering them so far though so likely a matter of time til a breakthrough.

EDIT: And there it is!

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Very interesting if wholly unsurprising article on Jack Lam and the scumbaggery of some French clubs. You can only admire his dedication to his country but its a disgrace and horrible to see French (and I'm sure some other countries') clubs squeezing talent out of these teams when they have enough challenges as is.

https://www.the42.ie/samoa-world-cup-jack-lam-contracts-4846697-Oct2019/?utm_source=shortlink

World rugby needs to step in like FIFA if they want the top end of the game to be protected and insist that players called up are released by clubs or clubs risk fines and allow all international teams the same weeks to have training camps.

It would go some snall way in having island nations plundered too youd hope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Shamelessly stolen from Reddit.
    I heard that world rugby had convened in a meeting room and were about to agree the New Zealand Italy game was going to be played Monday when Richie Mccaw entered said room from the side door and changed their minds

Clean out, to the head on a Georgian player on his knees just before the try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

You just sit there on the couch telling them how **** they are and that they don't deserve to be there. I'm guessing you aren't a fan of De Coubertin.

You can guess away at anything you want there buddy.

Firstly, I'm not sitting on a couch. Secondly, I didn't say anyone was ****. Thirdly, I didn't say anyone was undeserving of being anywhere.

The point I was making was that the integrity of the competition was more important than any sense of pride for any individual or their club. I don't particularly care if, as you pointed out, someone had a beer with their hero after the game. This is the World Cup, not a makeawish event.

You mentioned growth of the game in your previous post, and mentioned Namibia and Canada in that post. Those two teams are yet to play each other, but currently stand at 0 points between them and a combined minus 304 points difference. Growth? Really?

In 2015 those teams had a combined 3 points and minus 175 points difference.

In 2011 they had 6 points and minus 308 points difference between them.

In 2007, 2 points and minus 251.

I could go further.

So their level of play isn't improving, and any growth in numbers playing the game in those countries (and I have no idea if there is) isn't making any bit of difference.

That must be some nice beer they were drinking if you think this farce is worth persevering with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement