Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-01-2007, 13:37   #1
5starpool
CL0SED Account, honest.

Winter Resort Report thread

I'm not sure what sort of response this thread will get, but sure we will try it anyways, and if there is enough useful information we might sticky it.

What type of things to put in this thread:

1. Where and when you went.
2. What you did there ski/board/blade.
3. How were the conditions on/off piste.
4. Are you beginner/intermed/advanced.
5. What were the bars/restaurants like.
6. Anything in particular to recommend about this resort.
7. Any hidden gems you found nearby.
8. Was the population when you were there mostly Irish/Brits or mainland Europeans.
9. Any other relevant comments, and whether you would go again.

I am off next week so I will update here too after that. I am hoping that this will be somewhere that people in future times can look at and say "That sounds like somewhere I want to go". Anyone who wants to add in recent trips feel free
Advertisement
26-01-2007, 14:28   #2
robinph

Send a message via ICQ to robinph Send a message via AIM to robinph Send a message via MSN to robinph Send a message via Yahoo to robinph Send a message via Skype™ to robinph
1. Meribel - Mottaret, 3valleys, France -13th Jan '07
2. Skiing and blading
3. Was slightly rubbish snowfall before hand but on piste was fine on the runs from the top of the mountains, but the runs down to the various resorts were a bit messed up towards the end of each day but there are lots of nice wide open runs available down into all of the 3 valleys and plenty to choose from whatever the conditions. Off piste was not really possible for my rubbish abilities at that to even attempt really though due to the conditions.
4. Erm, dunno depends what scale we are measuring on. Bode Millers got nothing to worry about yet though I've no problem getting down any run, just with slightly less style on the blacker/ bumpier ones.
5. It seemed to be mostly self catering apartment in Mottaret, but we could never be bothered to cook, the few restaurants that we sampled around the top end of Mottaret were very good though. But this can of course add significantly to the cost of a trip eating out every night, but it was worth it.
6. Direct ski in/ ski out access, or very short walk for pretty much everywhere in Mottaret as far as I could tell. No chance of getting bored of the variety of runs.
7. Dunno, wasn't paying enough attention as I was too drunk on cheap wine and beer.
8. The resort looked to be nearly empty when we were there, compared to what the number of lifts suggested that it could cope with, but it seemed to be possibly 50% British/ Irish 50% Rest of Europe but that is had to tell really.

Last edited by robinph; 26-01-2007 at 14:31.
29-01-2007, 12:16   #3
sharingan

2007 Holiday report: Soll

06-jan-2007, Ski-welt Soll

Mixed group, but I skied.

Not great, interconnecting runs between different parts of the Ski-Welt were in poor condition and unnavigable for beginners or unconfident intermeds. Off piste almost non-existent. Soll ski-school pass limited to almost nothing in terms of runs, best skiing was found in westendorf, more interesting runs, that actually had some snow to boot.

Intermediate that has hit his plateau.

One hell of a session here. 5am drinking available for the hollow-legged holidaymaker. Beer cheap, around ~3 - 3.20 € per pint.

Good variety of non-skiing activities on offer (some of our group did an Olympic bob-sled run). The session in particular is pretty hardcore here. In good snow conditions the runs must be fantastic - the descents in particular. Piste operators really know their stuff here, managing to maintain at least decent snow conditions based on <30cm snowfall. The view from the summit of the Soll mountain is breathtaking, one of the best mountain views I have seen.

Westendorf only accessible via taxi, or organised bus, or if you ski over to Brixen and descend and get the Brixen - Westendorf shuttle. But the best runs are there, real long, twisty and tree-lined. Westendorf is meant to be really pretty and scenic, but it was shrouded in mist when we got there.

8. Was the population when you were there mostly Irish/Brits or mainland Europeans.

Highest paddy count ever. Lots of brits too, but the irish presence here is huge. Lots of Austrians too etc. But irish are a huge proportion of foreign holidaymakers here.

We tend to never visit the same resort twice, and if we were to break that habit, we would probably choose a different resort anyway (like Chamonix). Also Soll/Ski Welt is low altitude, which meant that it got the short end of the stick with respect to snowfall and snow conditions. Also, your ski-school pass in Soll is very limiting. Only 6 runs are available, and only in the Soll area to a ski-school lift pass. This is quite restrictive by comparison with other resorts, the Soll area in particular ramps up in slope difficulty quite fast.
30-01-2007, 10:24   #4
Static M.e.

Bankso, Bulgaria January 2007

Board

Conditions were average due to a poor winter, snowed on my 2nd last day which opened up another 4-6 runs.
Off piste is a no no. Trees are very close together and even on the main runs alot of rocks and roots are just under the surface. I would be very carefull.

intermed/advanced

Bars/Restaurants were quite cheap, but you really have to bring your own fun. Apres Ski was quite tame.
They dont seem to believe in Breakfast near the gondola we had to have main courses pasta/pizza 3 or 4 times (Mostly due to us not scouting around and being generally lazy.)
On the mountain your best bet is pizza slices the rest of the food is all deep fried and not the best, alot of chips, some sort of meat on a stick that kind of thing.

Very Cheap, lift pass was ~€130, Ski lessons were €30 for 4 hours. I found the instructors to be quite poor though. For instance my advanced lesson also had a begineer in it.
local beer is about €1.5 to €2 quite nice too.
They sell pancakes on the way to the mountain which are lovely
Quite a large area for begineers

Mostly Eastern Europeans

The main gondola lift up to the mountain takes about 20 minutes after queueing which is a nighmare, more of a push up the stairs. They dont have ANY queueing system in place think masses of people pushing in from all sides. The lift down the mountain had a large queue from 3 on wards. This is not a place I would personally bring children.

Just a point to note, the nearest bank to the gondola + the pass machine at the gondola dont accept Visa, or AIB/BOI cards even though the show that symbol that they should. We eventually found a Bank down near the town square that did accept them though. The bank is off on a side street.

I might go again on account of the cheapness for a quiet holiday but I wouldnt go again for my main holiday.

Last edited by Static M.e.; 30-01-2007 at 10:28.
30-01-2007, 22:12   #5
MadsL

Bad HofGastein, Austria - 2 weeks late Jan 2007

I own my own boots and salomon SB9 blades. One day I will own a pair of Revel8 skiboards http://www.skiboardsonline.com/Merch...rvl8_emp06.jpg
and scoff at Salomon snowblades -
whats wrong with salomon snowblades
My SB9s are not too bad as they are a full skiboard shape - symetrical tips/tails - but suffer the same flex problems as they have 8 hole bindings whic makes them stiff. Not sure if salomon still make them - they seem to have gone to a 120cm length with a skibinding (4 hole) - id like to try them, might test them and give 'em a shot next trip. Hard to get good skiboards in europe.

4 days of very little snow - sunshine runs on hardpack with lots of ice patches - blades performed fine. offpiste - either Hard crust or grass!unskiable for the most part.
2 days of rain - 2 days off
4 days of snow - including a massive dump that put a foot of new snow (powder) on piste and +2 feet of powder offpiste.

Blades performed very well but struggled badly off piste in deep power, hence my yearning for a pair of Revel8.

Life queues very short, rarely had to wait more than 2 mins, most times ski straight through the liftpass machine.

Depends whose asking Basically I can blade (skiboard) most of the mountain, comfortable on high level reds, easy/med blacks.

Half-board at 4* so didnt eat out that much, but food was excellent in the mountains (especially the germknodel - a giant dumpling filled with plum sauce and served with a kind of custard - essential ski food)
Nothing special about the bars except for great austrian/german beer!

Access to the Alpentherme - sheer heaven http://www.alpentherme.com

My wife was there for the 'cure' - she has asthma so the heilstollen (natural thermal radon caves) are really good for her...she doesn't ski so we found this to be a great resort for non-skiers (this is our second year there)
http://www.gasteiner-heilstollen.com/en/index.php

Few Brits/Irish, mostly Austrians, Bavarians, Poles, Slovaks, Russians and Finns (for some weird reason)

Recommend this as a ski destination for mixed ski/non-ski couples. Alpentherme is great and you can spend most of the day there if conditions are crap, I often packed up at 1/2pm (I'm an early starter - like to be making first tracks at 8am when the rest are crawling down to breakfast) and hit the sauna/outdoor pool. Nice feel to the place as it feels like a town rather than a few huts up a mountain. Strongly recommend this over Bad Gastein.

Good resort for intermediates, plenty of good reds, not fantastic for black experts (but some good blacks nearby - skibus service) Offpiste can be limited at Schlossalm, but some other nearby resorts on same pass are good/great in good conditions. Offpiste is bloody fantastic at Bad Hofgastien with 2+ feet of powder

For some weird reson there is no snow park in any of the ski amadé skipass area. Plenty of boarders about, but very few kickers or halfpipes or rails laid out

Some natural halfpipes are around just on the piste edges and some fun to be had there - but it is crying out for a proper snow park, or to do some maintainance to convert/groom the natural features. For some reason, few boarders here want to get air...

And finally, throw away those poles people - half of you don't know how to use them anyway - rent blades to get the feel for it and then buy a decent set of skiboards. It's the future! For those of you struggling to get parallel I guarantee you be parallel (and carving) in 2 days tops. I had a german friend of mine visit for one day's skiing, who had not been on skis for 7 years, and had severe upper body position issues - crap skier basically - and he was pulling 360s by the end of the day after I insisted that he try blades.

Last edited by MadsL; 30-01-2007 at 22:25.
Advertisement
31-01-2007, 15:49   #6
Lex

Meribel, 3 Valleys, France - 2 wks ago.

Direct Ski package. Flights to Geneva and bus journey to the resort.
We had our own chalet, fully catered.
Rep visited us twice and was helpful but we had no probs so didn't need him for anything.

Mixed group (11 of us!). 3 of us boarded. The rest skied (sp?).

As mentioned. On piste was fine everywhere except a few ice patches (man do they hurt!!) and the very end of the runs where it became slushy and crap from high traffic.
The only fresh snowfalls for the week were at the very top of the mountains but the pistes seemed excellently maintained and managed.

Beginner boarder. never been skiing.

Lots of lively bars in Meribel and all stay open till 2am which was fine when we had to get up at 9am for shcool every day!
The only club we want to was Dick's Tea bar on the last night. It's hugely over priced with not much to offer!! The pubs are way better value and craic imo.

We had a lift pass for any run in the 3 Valleys. But there are so many runs it seemed like you'd need a month to cover them all! Amazing spot.

I stuck to the pistes but the other two boarders ventured off piste on one of the red runs near Motarett and said the powder was amazing.

Alot of Brittish with a good mix of irish and mainlanders thrown in.

Imo, wrist guards are a must for beginner boarders. I caught so many bad edges they saved me big time!

The fully catered chalet was a huge bonus. We had a 22 yr old english guy named Donut (yup!) who was there for the snow season. He basically got up every morn and cooked us a warm breakfast, went boarding/drinking everyday and returned raound 6pm each eve to cook us a 3 course meal.
He was a great cook and went onthe p!ss with us a few nights.
He had one night off. We went to a restaraunt in Merible village and the food was excellent. Large portions and resonable price.
Excellent spot and and would recommend it to anyone.

Last edited by Lex; 31-01-2007 at 16:02.
31-01-2007, 18:43   #7
Necronomicon

Livigno, Italy, 2 weeks ago.

Boarded.

Terrific, considering the poor conditions in many other areas around Europe.

Intermediate.

One crap club but one unreal bar! Anyone going, check out Marco's!

It's tax free; functional town rather than purely a tourist spot; slopes weren't packed...in general a lovely place!

As I said, Marco's Bar!

Mostly mainland Europeans. From what I gathered, we were outnumbered by Italians who came from mainland Italy for the season. Met a few Northern Irish guys alright.

I'd definately go to Livigno again, beautiful place. One thing that people might get fed up of (although it didn't bother me so much) is how spaced out some of the slopes are, and the fact that you sometimes have to get a bus from one slope to the next.
If anyone is going to Livigno, I'd highly recommend the following activities:

1) Skidoos: Tearing around a snow mobile on a bumpy track, it was unreal!

2) Tobogans: This was the cheapest activity available, but probably the most fun! You get so wet but it's so, so worth it.

3) Visit San Moritz: Beautiful (albeit expensive) town, good slopes as well. Twice held the Winter Olympics. It was a great day out.

4) Tea Borch: I didn't do this one myself because it was €40 which I didn't really have spare after paying for all the other activities, but a couple of my friends who went said it was brilliant fun.
03-02-2007, 20:11   #8
Imposter

Send a message via Skype™ to Imposter
Saalbach, Austria - Jan 27th - Feb 3rd

Skied

The first few days they were ok as it dumped snow on the 27th. Later in the week pistes that were open were closed. Lots of green patches. A lot of pistes not open, but in saying that there is a lot of the resort open. There weren't many people (compared to what I was expecting - and a lot signs for free rooms to be seen) so the pistes weren't that full. Proper Off-piste is virtually impossible

Intermediate

It's Saalbach, they're great. Restaurants all have similar fare. Austrian stuff, steaks, pizzas etc. Same is available on the pistes. Reasonable enough by irish standards. Bars are good. Apres ski is super. Bauers at the bottom is good but there's a place a little up the hill (about 200m from the bottom) that is super. Both of these are by the Kohlmais lifts. Hinterglemm has some good spots too - Goaßstadl is a good laugh.

Late night in Saalbach - depends on age. Don't go to Bauers late on sober. If drunk it's probably good. Turm is ok but older crowd. Bobby's has a younger crowd and Castello seems to be the disco of choice.

The skiresort is huge, the infrastructure is second to none. The apres ski is super. The nightlife is a good laugh and the food is great. Really good for a mixed group as there are pistes for everyone.

Mostly a mixture of Dutch, German, Austrian, English and Irish. Mostly Dutch German and Austrian though (although we avoided the holidays which brings a lot more Austrians)

Hell yeah.

Toboggoning in Hinterglemm is also good. They've built brakes into all the toboggons this year (there's been a few accidents in the last few years)! The course is a tad tricky at the bottom but it's some laugh.
06-02-2007, 09:09   #9
Dubhthamlacht

Livigno - last week

Ski

It had a good dump of snow the week before we arrived and it snowed on the night we arrived but that was the last snow we got the whole week. Towards the end of the week it really could have done with a snowfall. Most affected by this were the learner slopes at the botton which became fairly icy especially in the afternoon. Saying that they do really take care of the main slopes up the mountain with snow machines and ploughs keeping them well groomed. Off piste I didn't try.

Intermediate.

The bars and Restaurants are generally good. Galli's Hotel restaurant was superb but book early as it gets packed out fast. Food and service was very good. Prices also reasonable. The pubs were grand. Check out the slide into Miky's and the elevator down to the toilet in Daphne's As said before Marco's is a fun pub and Galli's pub is okay (but has a smelly toilet which they openely acknowledge). The only nightclub is a shi*t hole as stated in previous post and i was only in it twice but thank god I was so buckled out of my head i hardly remember either time

There is an organised Mountain Feast night. Do it, it's great fun.

Mostly Italians with a healthy sprinkling of Irish/Brits.

Absolutely no hesitation in going again. It's a cheap place (€5 for big Smirnoff Vodka bottle), skiing is good and lively resort.

Bad points - I flew into Brescia , a nasty 5 and half hour bus journey away. Hotels are functional without being great. But these are minor gripes.
Advertisement
06-02-2007, 10:52   #10
5starpool
CL0SED Account, honest.

Bad Gastein, Austria, Jan 27th - Feb 3rd.

Skiing only.

Conditions were lovely for the first few days as the resort had only recently got a nice dump of snow. Towards the end of the week though it was getting a somewhat bare in patches and icy in others, but mostly still well skiiable, especially at higher altitudes.

Intermediate, but every year I feel like I am regressing instead of progressing. Go figure.

Restaurants were very so-so. Found a couple of nice places but service tended to be on the slow side. There was one bar in particular that I went to a lot, The Silver Bullet Bar. There was a great covers band that played there twice a day, 4.30-6.30 and 10-12. They were drinking during their performance and the buzz was fantastic around the place. A mad crowded pub hopping at 5 in the evening was slightly surreal though.

The spas are something that I did not visit, but from anyone I know that did said they were brilliant. A 2-3 hour visit cures lots of aches and pains I was told. Beware the naked sauna there though.

I didn't go off track much, although a few of our group went to an underground sauna type place where you need a medical check to go into caves full of radon and mad heat to lie down for an hour. Odd experience but they felt strangely refreshed afterwards.

Largely Irish as I was on the TodayFM ski trip. I beleive apart from the 420 that were officially on it, there were around another 400 Irish in the resort, so it was utterly crazy and loads of late nights. I am sure the resort has a totally different buzz other weeks.

The tobogganing track was great fun, but the run down to the finishing area was the steepest part. Brakes are non existant, so use your feet liberally!!! I am not sure if I would go there again as I like to try different resorts each year. The different ski areas were largely only accessible by bus, though you could ski between some of them. Good point is that the hire shop we used had a storage lift at the bottom of the main Gondola area in Bad Gastein so no carrying skis or boots too far which can only be a good thing.
10-02-2007, 20:48   #11

Livgno for a week, just back today

board

snow was a bit thin in parts, the resort could do with another heavy snow fall as it was a bit icey in places and was showing the ground on some slopes

intermediate...ish

reasonably lively, the food and service was excellant i thought. It took a while to get used to the idea that the second course is a lot smaller in Italy than home. A good mix of male and female which helps...

The resort is in a valley between 2 mountains. You should alternate between morning and afternoon to allow for the sunshine at different times of the day on the slopes

Can't think of any

Irish and European, very few Brits which surprised me, i was in Andorra last year and it was like a piece of England

I liked the resort but the transfer was ridiculous, we were with directski who flew to Brescia. 5 hours!!!! I would go again if it didn't involve that transfer
Thanks from:
12-02-2007, 17:40   #12

Pamporovo in bulgaria, late january 07, when there was "little snow"

skiiiiiii!

first few days were ski-able but not great due to lack of snow. the snow arrived late in the week and the place was great. there's only a handful of runs but if you dont mind that this place is great, and the off-piste once the snow fell was great fun!

beginner-intermed.

bars, great fun and cheap.
restaurants... bring a packed lunch, food was terrible. i ordered lasagne... i got cheese sauce ham and peas!!

very beginner friendly.

im pretty sure the "masseuse" in the hotel offered "additional services" for a fee... but my sources are unreliable.

eastern europeans and brits.

if i was going again i'd make sure there was plenty of snow, probably book late on. met alot of people over tehre who were back for a 2nd holiday there who said the place is amazing with full snow fall.
12-02-2007, 23:08   #13

1. Where and when you went.Last week in Jan Zell am See, Austria
2. What you did there ski/board/blade.Second time only skiing.
3. How were the conditions on/off piste.We were very lucky as it snowed just before we arrived and was getting pretty bad off piste when we were leaving.
4. Are you beginner/intermed/advanced.Beg-ish...can now ski reds without falling.
5. What were the bars/restaurants like.OKish Ate in hotel as was half board. There are not too many bars but something for everyone from 'local' to 'posh'.
6. Anything in particular to recommend about this resort.The skiing is great and great variety for a whole week.
7. Any hidden gems you found nearby.Didnt venture far at all but will give the glacier at Kaprun a go next time.
8. Was the population when you were there mostly Irish/Brits or mainland Europeans.Good mix of both
9. Any other relevant comments, and whether you would go again.Good skiing and OK social so I enjoyed it and would go again but definately for the skiing over anything else.
20-02-2007, 15:09   #14
Static M.e.

1. Where and when you went

Soldeu Andorra 11th - 18th Feb

Board

Conditions were average due to a poor winter, Soldeu normally has a huge number of runs open (320Km) but this year alot were closed. Still even saying that you still had a lot of choices just using the El Tarter and Soldeu runs. This was my fifth time in Soldau and normally you can do alot of off piste but this year I just didnt risk it, you could see the rocks just below the surface.

intermed/advanced

Bars/Restaurants were average I find Soldeu getting more and more expensive every year though. Main bars are "The Villager" which claims to be Irish or English depending on the night..decent enough food for apres ski. Then you have the T-Bar, Ice Berg and Avalance, the main nightclub is called the Pussycat and it fairly stinks.

My favourite restaurant was Fat Alberts, starter, main + wine is about ~30. very nice though.

Best place to get food on the slope is to do the run all the way down to the gondola and their is a restaurant up the left that does nice pizza and hot wine.

People are lovely, restaurants are nice, lots of runs, they maintain the slopes very well, Bars are decent too. Its a great spot for the begineer to Intermediate can also be very good for off piste in a good year. They also sell Poncho in The Ice Berg pub, great stuff

Mostly Irish/Brits

Yes I plan on going back next year again, I love it

Last edited by Static M.e.; 20-02-2007 at 15:11.
22-02-2007, 15:00   #15
ZorbaTehZ

Auffach-Oberau-Niedarau Chained Resort in the Austrian Alps.
(buses go between resorts every 5-10 minutes - each resort is no more than 3 minutes from each other. Buses are free if you're carrying ski's/Boards)
Went Early January 2007. (2nd time there)

Snowboarding.

3. How were the conditions on/off piste?
When we arrived, quite a lack of snow. Picked up during the week nicely - snowfall for ~12 hours midweek thrice.
Quite a few closed runs - quite ironic since some if these were the nicest in regards powder and non-iciness.

4. Are you beginner/intermediate/advanced?
Advanced.

5. What were the bars/restaurants like?
Nice. Local beer was good, food was good. Restaurants were steep but the food stores and markets were cheap.

6. Anything in particular to recommend about this resort?
If you're an old person you'll love this place; loads of nice scenery, places to go walking, craft shops etc.

7. Any hidden gems you found nearby?
Super-jump, race-park and board-park in Niedarau, another board-park in Auffach (excellent). Some of the slopes in Auffach were excellent for boarding, very nice soft powder. Some intricate runs between trees/pistes/resorts. Lots of capability for off-pisting. Nice steep slopes with hops/jumps.

8. Was the population when you were there mostly Irish/Brits or mainland?
Unfortunately majority was Dutch, Germans and Austrians. There were a few British and French. I think we were the only Irish there though lawl.

9. Any other relevant comments, and whether you would go again?
Queues were quite insane mid-day particularly after lunchtime.
LOTS of newbs - Oberau in particular.
Some of the locals were asses.
But I really liked the Auffach resort and I'd think I'd go again (this was my second time ofc).

Last edited by ZorbaTehZ; 22-02-2007 at 15:07.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion