Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Depression my experience

• 15-09-2019 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

I write what I am writing not for advice. Not for smart Alec replies. It's simply to give an insight to what depression feels like.

For me the triggers are either death of a loved one or something which threatens my livelihood. That something can be something I read, heard or saw on telly. It really is that simple. I can be going along quite jolly and boom something can just tip me over the edge.

When it strikes I lose my appetite. I don't sleep well. I obsess about whatever it was that cause me to slip into depression. The lack of proper food combined with poor sleep makes the mental whirlpool all the worse. I lose interest in my hobbies and life. I have no interest in doing anything that will theoretically lift the funk. Life become a horrific task of enduring. I would classify my depression as episodical more than continual. When it's really bad I wish myself to be terminally ill so I have a legit way out of the mental anguish. I can appreciate people will think that madness but depression is a truly horrifying thing to live with and through. Thoughts of suicide can hover at such times but never to the point of actively seeking to follow through. In a weird way imagining my funeral gives me some solace. The thought that I would be missed.

When it's bad the whole world seems black. I see no light and nothing to look forward too. The mornings are the worst. As I engage with people, work related, it gets a little easier. It can take a talk from a family member, (work in a family business), to help ease my mind that disaster is not going to strike. It has to be someone who is speaking about things who is knowledgeable. The same family member will point out all I have and you know what it means absolutely nothing. You just feel blah. Washing clothes taking showers just seems pointless. A feeling of being f*cuked so what's the point. Everybody else is better off than you. In terms of death time generally helps the cloud lift.

I have been to psychologists and have tried meds. As it stands I'm fine. My last episode was in May. I don't wake up each morning dreading the next bout and when it might come. When the bouts occur I make an appointment to see my GP and he will refer me on to a mental health expert. By the time I saw the last expert I had pulled myself out of the funk and he correctly felt that meds were not required at that point.

I hope my brief post helps those who do suffer feel they are not alone and those that don't that it gives an insight into the hell that is depression. If you don't have peace of mind you have nothing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

You are lucky to have family and people around.

Take care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭johnml

Thanks for sharing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

There's an anxiety and depression thread on Boards which can be very supportive to people either struggling themselves or with friends or family members who do so.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057564333

It can give an insight in to what experiencing is like and is a non-judgemental place to discuss elements of it or to just vent at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

There's an anxiety and depression thread on Boards which can be very supportive to people either struggling themselves or with friends or family members who do so.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057564333

It can give an insight in to what experiencing is like and is a non-judgemental place to discuss elements of it or to just vent at times.

Mods feel free to move my post to the above forum. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement