Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite Amateur tournament's 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭paulos53

Up against Alex Fitzpatrick in the next round at 16:00 our time. Quarter finalist in this last year and I believe he is a brother of Matthew Fitzpatrick

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

paulos53 wrote: »
    Up against Alex Fitzpatrick in the next round at 16:00 our time. Quarter finalist in this last year and I believe he is a brother of Matthew Fitzpatrick

Yeah he is. Probably upcoming walker cup team mate too. At least one Irish or British player will make the next round

How does a 23man playoff even work?? Do they all play it together!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Playoff is live on facebook. 1st group 3 balls then rest 4 balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

That's a long play off and still not finished. 2 birdies 18 pars 8 bogeys on 1st hole.

18 players playing 2nd hole for 1 spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Yeah he is. Probably upcoming walker cup team mate too. At least one Irish or British player will make the next round

How does a 23man playoff even work?? Do they all play it together!!!

Matthew has previously been vocal on twitter about him being overlooked on representative teams. He seems a very good player.

• Advertisement

Looking like 8 lads will qualify for the matchplay in the boys amateur and 3/4 girls qualified for their matchplay.

Good progression from them.

Fitzpatrick wins 5&4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Remind me wrote: »
    Fitzpatrick wins 5&4

He's since been beaten aswell. Quarter finals this evening. You can watch it live at 9pm our time on FS1. Think that's on Mobdro.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

R&A Boys Amateur Championship
    Max Kennedy, last of the Irish guys in this currently A/S in 4th round game.

https://www.randa.org/en/championships/boysamateurchampionship/matchplayscoring#/competition/1803832/matchplay/4

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

lowelife wrote: »
    R&A Boys Amateur Championship
    Max Kennedy, last of the Irish guys in this currently A/S in 4th round game.

https://www.randa.org/en/championships/boysamateurchampionship/matchplayscoring#/competition/1803832/matchplay/4

3up thru 8

Looking to be in the Quarter Finals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Looks like he was beaten in q/f 2&1.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Connacht mid amateur championship was on today in Roscommon golf club. Eddie McCormack ran out a deserved winner after shooting 74-68 for a -2 total in what were very testing conditions! Yours truly had a few bad holes and propped up the bottom of the table quite convincingly. ;)

James Sugrue, Conor Purcell and Caolan Rafferty all names in the walker cup team to take on the States.

Home internationals began in Lahinch this morning.

Ireland have just lost to Scotland and England hammered wales.

Very surprised with the Irish result. Very strong team with massive experience around lahinch. Scotland don’t even have their two walker cup players unlike us. Incidentally Sugrue didn’t even play the singles. Maybe they have a bit of a golfing hangover after last week as even the Harry hall on the English team was rested in the morning today.

Home internationals began in Lahinch this morning.

Ireland have just lost to Scotland and England hammered wales.

Very surprised with the Irish result. Very strong team with massive experience around lahinch. Scotland don’t even have their two walker cup players unlike us. Incidentally Sugrue didn’t even play the singles. Maybe they have a bit of a golfing hangover after last week as even the Harry hall on the English team was rested in the morning today.

Sugrue has been struggling with a back injury, He was struggling at Walker Cup.

I was personally surprised by the squad selection and a couple of names who missed out.

I was personally surprised by the squad selection and a couple of names who missed out.

I presumed there was an injury involved. He isn’t playing tomorrow morning either. I’m guessing a few of the other big Irish players in Murphy, Power and Rowan Lester.

Still think the current squad should be beating that under par Scottish team given our course knowledge.

Another bad beating today going down 10-5 to England.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Irish team comprised of the below.
    Top 7 in Irish order of merit.
    3 walker cup players
    Tom McKibbin who is the top ranked underage player in Ireland, its commonplace for the top youngster is involved.

Who would you suggest didnt deserve their place exactly? I cant see how any of the above were undeserving.

Irish team comprised of the below.
    Top 7 in Irish order of merit.
    3 walker cup players
    Tom McKibbin who is the top ranked underage player in Ireland, its commonplace for the top youngster is involved.

Who would you suggest didnt deserve their place exactly? I cant see how any of the above were undeserving.

Didn’t say anyone was undeserving, some picks automatic due to Bridgestone.

Few players finishing outside of the Bridgestone OOM top 7 don’t play in as many of the events for various reasons.

The 1 player I thought might get the nod was Rowan Lester, granted he didn’t have his best year and had an injury at the start of the year but a finalists in Lahinch last year, qualified well this and a great inter pro this year.

Peter O’Keefe had some good finishes throughout the year.

Didn’t say anyone was undeserving, some picks automatic due to Bridgestone.

Few players finishing outside of the Bridgestone OOM top 7 don’t play in as many of the events for various reasons.

The 1 player I thought might get the nod was Rowan Lester, granted he didn’t have his best year and had an injury at the start of the year but a finalists in Lahinch last year, qualified well this and a great inter pro this year.

Peter O’Keefe had some good finishes throughout the year.

All valid 100%, but theres only 11 spots! Interpros never really counts tbh, it's a huge gulf in standards to home Internationals. Possibly Sugrue should have sat out given he wasnt fit, Hugh
    Folet was 1st reserve and might have helped with squad rotation as we ended up with the bare 10 players.
    Anyway theres some good young guys coming up so the future is bright I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

2019 Australian Amateur champion and member of the recent GB&I Walker Cup team, Conor Purcell, has turned professional and will make his pro debut at this week's NSW Open in Australia. Best of luck to Conor!!

I wonder will Mallow's James Sugrue win the RTE Young Sportsperson of the year award for 2019, after his outstanding victory in the British Amateur Championship at Portmarnock in June? Thoughts fellow posters?

I wonder will Mallow's James Sugrue win the RTE Young Sportsperson of the year award for 2019, after his outstanding victory in the British Amateur Championship at Portmarnock in June? Thoughts fellow posters?

David Clifford favourite I presume?

You can forget RTE as a "supposed national broadcaster" after James Sugrue and Kerry's Sean O'Shea were not nominated for the RTE young sportsperson of the year. I would advise anyone not to watch Saturday's "big TV event", which gets underway at 9:20 pm. They really haven't got a clue in the Donnybrook based station. Not one clue at all.

Just shows how RTE have really lost the plot. Sad times indeed. Yet the "esteemed" Dee Forbes expects more of our hard earned cash, to go to bailing out the cash-strapped national broadcaster!

Or David Clifford!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Or David Clifford!!

They were saying on the radio that david was too old at 20 to receive it

You can forget RTE as a "supposed national broadcaster" after James Sugrue and Kerry's Sean O'Shea were not nominated for the RTE young sportsperson of the year. I would advise anyone not to watch Saturday's "big TV event", which gets underway at 9:20 pm. They really haven't got a clue in the Donnybrook based station. Not one clue at all.

Just shows how RTE have really lost the plot. Sad times indeed. Yet the "esteemed" Dee Forbes expects more of our hard earned cash, to go to bailing out the cash-strapped national broadcaster!

He exceeds the age limit for nominations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

James Sugrue over Rhys McClenaghan?

Ah take off the blinkers.
    McClenaghan the first Irish gymnast to qualify for a World Championship final yet he ended up with the bronze, securing qualification for the Olympics. If he doesn't walk it, its laughable, if Sugrue had been shortlisted or not he should never be getting close to win.
    McClenaghan is a world class athlete.

James Sugrue over Rhys McClenaghan?

Ah take off the blinkers.
    McClenaghan the first Irish gymnast to qualify for a World Championship final yet he ended up with the bronze, securing qualification for the Olympics. If he doesn't walk it, its laughable, if Sugrue had been shortlisted or not he should never be getting close to win.
    McClenaghan is a world class athlete.

I agree that Rhys McClenaghen is a top class athlete and imo will probably win the prize tonight.

If Sean O'Shea was young enough to win the Football GAA/GPA Young player of the year in 2019, then he most certainly is young enough to be at the very least a nominee for this prize. James Sugrue is only 22 and he should be a nominee also.

Crazy crazy stuff from whoever made these nominations on behalf of the national broadcaster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

I agree that Rhys McClenaghen is a top class athlete and imo will probably win the prize tonight.

If Sean O'Shea was young enough to win the Football GAA/GPA Young player of the year in 2019, then he most certainly is young enough to be at the very least a nominee for this prize. James Sugrue is only 22 and he should be a nominee also.

Crazy crazy stuff from whoever made these nominations on behalf of the national broadcaster.

What is exactly crazy? I don't really understand tbh.
    That's the criteria, are you disagreeing with the age criteria? 22 seems rather old for any "young" person award, usually 21 tends to be the oldest age in most sports before "Senior". O'Shea probably does get a nod if he's under the age limit.
    If that's the issue, then it's a non-issue imo but if it's the athlete's nominated over Sugrue/O'Shea then it's a tad ridiculous to me.

On Sugrue, IMO, a 22 year old golfer who is outside the Top 30 in the world amateur doesn't look like a sure fire inclusion on that shortlist even if he met the criteria.

Professional premiership regular, multiple medals winners in athletics, boxing, cycling, swimming & gymnastics at European & World level.
    The only one I'd probably give you is Adrian Mullen but outside of that Sugrue or O'Shea would be bottom of that shortlist.

Advertisement