Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'women aren't funny' myth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

So who have we got that's funny so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

My comment wasn't meant as an absolute explanation. I think the other poster took it a bit too hard. Probably took offence to it as a female. I do think there is truth in it though. Things can't be untrue just because they leave a bitter taste in your mouth.

I find comedy, especially stand up, is funny because the comedians break boundaries and trample on taboos. Men are probably better at that because they take more risks. I think they are encouraged to push boundaries in the competition against each other for female attention and/or dominance through wit and popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

bilbot79 wrote: »
    My comment wasn't meant as an absolute explanation. I think the other poster took it a bit too hard. Probably took offence to it as a female. I do think there is truth in it though. Things can't be untrue just because they leave a bitter taste in your mouth.

I find comedy, especially stand up, is funny because the comedians break boundaries and trample on taboos. Men are probably better at that because they take more risks. I think they are encouraged to push boundaries in the competition against each other for female attention and/or dominance through wit and popularity.

And things can leave a bitter taste in your Louth because they’re untrue.

There’s probably not any point in engaging with you as you’ve made no attempt to explain why humour exists in all social groups and isn’t exclusive to Male/female groups.

You just keep repeating the same dodgy evolution arguments and think the only reason people could find them silly is because they’re uncomfortable.

LLMMLL wrote: »
    And things can leave a bitter taste in your Louth because they’re untrue.

There’s probably not any point in engaging with you as you’ve made no attempt to explain why humour exists in all social groups and isn’t exclusive to Male/female groups.

You just keep repeating the same dodgy evolution arguments and think the only reason people could find them silly is because they’re uncomfortable.

I'm pretty sure the reason you reacted like this is because you felt like I'm being sexist. I think that's a shame and I wish folks could just have a conversation without losing the rag

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

LLMMLL wrote:

I'm not sure you are open to hearing any explanations. You seem to caught in a rigid frame of mind yourself.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure you are open to hearing any explanations. You seem to caught in a rigid frame of mind yourself.

You’ll never know until an explanation is actually offered. Doesn’t look like it’s coming anytime soon though.

I'm pretty sure the reason you reacted like this is because you felt like I'm being sexist. I think that's a shame and I wish folks could just have a conversation without losing the rag

Nobody’s lost the rag. You seem unable to debate your ideas without claiming that those who disagree with you are offended, annoyed and losing the rag. Yet nobody has. It’s all in your head. All you were asked was to answer some simple questions that followed from your claims. Not sure how that’s losing the rag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

I actually used to find Sarah Silverman hilarious until she went all Trump Derangement syndrome mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I like Iliza Shlisenger.

Anyone see her in Vicar St in April?

Nobody’s lost the rag. You seem unable to debate your ideas without claiming that those who disagree with you are offended, annoyed and losing the rag. Yet nobody has. It’s all in your head. All you were asked was to answer some simple questions that followed from your claims. Not sure how that’s losing the rag.

I don't need to answer any questions, I gave my opinion. To me it's perfectly plausible. No need to go ape over it.

• Advertisement

I don't need to answer any questions, I gave my opinion. To me it's perfectly plausible. No need to go ape over it.

Asking questions is going ape?

You must hate doing job interviews with all those pesky interviewers going ape **** at you.

Asking questions is going ape?

You must hate doing job interviews with all those pesky interviewers going ape **** at you.

I'm good at job interviews.

I'm not bothered with this anymore. Hopefully Michael McIntyre will cheer me up on Sunday :) Peace out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,323 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Alison Spittle is doing her damn best to prove the myth is true.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Alison Spittle is doing her damn best to prove the myth is true.

Token culchie female 'comedian'. Filling RTE quotas no doubt.

I like Iliza Shlisenger.

Anyone see her in Vicar St in April?

I never heard of but I looked her up on you tube.

Only watched a few mins so far.
    She seems very good timing, plenty of energy etc.
    She manages to make all the women 'problems' less preachy/whiny then a lot of women comediennes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I know it’s not stand up but Alison Brie in Glow is great. I think she has a very natural gift for humor, certainly in the acting arena....

I always liked French and Saunders style that was clever and fun. Kathy Burke on Harry Enfields show was also very good. Some of Cheri Oteris stuff on SNL was great and I loved her in scary movie. Anna Faris was also very enjoyable Im the scary movie franchise, not many leading woman can pull that off.

I was thinking about the thread title.
    I think it is because when a woman comedian is bad they are awful bad.
    They seem to rely on 'I'm just a girl' rather then develop real stage craft?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

lufties wrote: »
    Token culchie female 'comedian'. Filling RTE quotas no doubt.

Heard her on 2fm about two weeks ago, my god was she awful like horrendously painful to listen too

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Heard her on 2fm about two weeks ago, my god was she awful like horrendously painful to listen too

And it is not just different tastes in comedy or anything like that with Alison Spittle.
    I can appreciate comedy I may not particularly like, but can see where they are going with it a theme/structure style.

What is hers?
    I think she should just thank her lucky stars, she has landed on her feet by some miracle.

Here is one that is decent plenty of energy - Natasha Leggero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭YoungRogerian

Luisa Omeilan is the best stand up around for my money. Andi Osho was fantastic although she mainly acts and writes now. Rachel Paris, Catherine Ryan, Deirdre O' Kane, Jen Bristler, Sarah Millican, Sara Pascoe, Holly Walsh. Not just the pros either. Get yourself to some amatuer gigs folks, Christina McMahon, Gilzie Fitz, Katelyn Galvin, Siobhan Brosnan, some great female comic talent out there folks. Funny is funny regardless of gender.

As I see it, women in comedy face two problems.
    1. This myth is so deeply rooted , that a lot of people start with the assumption that women aren't funny and so are pre-disposed to think this, meaning they have their work cut out from the start.
    2. Women are automatically judged on their looks. If a female stand up is extremely attractive then they are almost allowed to not be funny to some degree and if they are funny then it almost goes under the radar because the first reaction is 'she's hot'. This is why Luisa Omeilan strips to her undies at the start of am I right Ladies? Because once she's gotten the sexuality thing out of the way early she can focus on being funny.

It really depends. Trampling on taboos is great. IF you are funny. It is so risky as a strategy, that you have to really be brilliant to pull it off. For instance I am a huge fan of Frankie Boyle, but if less funny people tried what he tried I'd probably be disgusted. Carlin was brilliant too. Bill Hicks was brilliant when he was good but could be stale at times. People being edgy for the sake of being edgy can backfire horrendously, when the person doesn't have the talent to back it up. Also, nothing at all wrong with comedy you would take your granny to see, so long as they aren't going out of their way to be a 'clean' comedian. funny is funny, comic timing is comic timing. If you want an example of a female comedian who breaks boundaries, Luisa Omeilan is just the ticket. She does a scene where she simulates 'w-a-n-k-ing into a bloke's face. If she were male, she'd be up on sexual harrassment charges, but it is funny as ****.

maybe part of the reason white straight male comedians push boundaries more is they don't really have a 'thing' to play on. Ugly doesn't work as most male comedians are ugly to some degree. Short doesn't really work unless you're abnormally short, fat doesn't work unless you're morbidly obese. Most male comedians are a bit fat at least. Reginald D Hunter has 'black Southerner' Andi Osho has black and female. Other female comedians have 'female' , Jen Bristler also has the Spanish mother thing which is Hilarious, but white straight male comedians, unless they have some other peculiarity, don't have a 'thing' to exploit so have to do it through the material. Maybe that's why they tend to do 'edgy' more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

The constant push to "prove" women are funny gets me. More women in standup, women are just as funny as men, more female comedy panelists.... these are things I constantly have shoved down my throat. If women are just as funny, then they dont need a hand or a quota, let them do their thing and the free market will decide. Whenever I see a female standup act on tv lately, I find myself thinking "is she there to bulk up the numbers or because of her own merit". Id be so pissed if I was a woman in this day and age

The constant push to "prove" women are funny gets me. More women in standup, women are just as funny as men, more female comedy panelists.... these are things I constantly have shoved down my throat. If women are just as funny, then they dont need a hand or a quota, let them do their thing and the free market will decide. Whenever I see a female standup act on tv lately, I find myself thinking "is she there to bulk up the numbers or because of her own merit". Id be so pissed if I was a woman in this day and age
    Ironically, having just one female guest is the problem there. It smacks of tokenism, no reason they can't find 2 or 3 women funny enough for a show like Mock the week on any given week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Luisa Omeilan is the best stand up around for my money. Andi Osho was fantastic although she mainly acts and writes now. Rachel Paris, Catherine Ryan, Deirdre O' Kane, Jen Bristler, Sarah Millican, Sara Pascoe, Holly Walsh. Not just the pros either. Get yourself to some amatuer gigs folks, Christina McMahon, Gilzie Fitz, Katelyn Galvin, Siobhan Brosnan, some great female comic talent out there folks. Funny is funny regardless of gender.

As I see it, women in comedy face two problems.
    1. This myth is so deeply rooted , that a lot of people start with the assumption that women aren't funny and so are pre-disposed to think this, meaning they have their work cut out from the start.
    2. Women are automatically judged on their looks. If a female stand up is extremely attractive then they are almost allowed to not be funny to some degree and if they are funny then it almost goes under the radar because the first reaction is 'she's hot'. This is why Luisa Omeilan strips to her undies at the start of am I right Ladies? Because once she's gotten the sexuality thing out of the way early she can focus on being funny

I respectfully disagree with the above, for two reasons.

1 Laughter is involuntary, on a comedy circuit where you don't have an established support base, you really have to rely on original content or performance.

2 If you can't make strangers laugh you are not a comedian.

Many many many more men fail at comedy than women even in this day and age, women, in this day and age have a get out card!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Two words....Hannah Gadsby!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I think comedians are just a reflection of a differences between the sexes that we tend to see in the general population, most women are not that funny. There was less need for them to be I guess. Unlike men (GSOH exists as an acronym for a reason, and that reason ain't men)

Of all the people I've known, I could count on one hand the women who I would call laugh out loud funny with any confidence, as opposed to just being capable of the odd humorous remark

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Bambi wrote:
    Of all the people I've known, I could count on one hand the women who I would call laugh out loud funny with any confidence, as opposed to just being capable of the odd humorous remark

Do you genuinely know that many men who are laugh out loud funny either though?
    I don't and if I were to think of the people I know, I'd say it's at least 50/50 in terms of who's funny, the women I know definitely have a sharper maybe drier wit whereas the men tend to go for bigger laughs or bits. I wouldn't say on the whole either is more or less funny than the other just different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Ironically, having just one female guest is the problem there. It smacks of tokenism, no reason they can't find 2 or 3 women funny enough for a show like Mock the week on any given week.

I can think of a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I actually find Miranda Harts programme funny.

Never listened to her standup or on any show though so i don't know.

Advertisement