Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCIe TV tuner card recommendations?

Options
  • 03-03-2021 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been using a TBS 6920 pcie card for a few years now in an ITX media center build. I've recently been having issues with the OS sometimes not detecting the card - I'm not sure if it's being caused by a recent Windows update. I'm starting to think that it might be a problem with the age of the card, and I'm on the lookout for a reliable replacement.

Would anyone have recommendations - ideally a newer PCIe card with a single tuner?

The system is based on an ASRock B450 Gaming-ITX board with a Ryzen 3 2200G, running Windows 10 Pro, version 1909.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Presumably you have the latest available driver installed for that card?

Have you tried the card with a different operating system?
    Maybe a Linux Live OS would test it on the same hardware?

If the card should prove faulty, would you not consider another TBS card?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Presumably you have the latest available driver installed for that card?

Have you tried the card with a different operating system?
    Maybe a Linux Live OS would test it on the same hardware?

If the card should prove faulty, would you not consider another TBS card?

Driver is up to date. The card was working well up until a short while back - can't recall exactly - using the latest driver.

No harm in going with the Linux suggestion, though I would probably want to do a proper install to give it enough time to wait for issues.

I'd buy another TBS card alright - if I thought it would run OK. I've actually got a spare Tevii card that I might try, though it's also pretty old now...

Gyck wrote: »
    Driver is up to date. The card was working well up until a short while back - can't recall exactly - using the latest driver.

No harm in going with the Linux suggestion, though I would probably want to do a proper install to give it enough time to wait for issues.

I'd buy another TBS card alright - if I thought it would run OK. I've actually got a spare Tevii card that I might try, though it's also pretty old now...

I have had TBS cards but have moved to Sat>IP tuners in recent years, coupled with very lightweight (and cheap) hardware.
    I learned my lesson having built a 'HTPC' which was big, a little noisy at times and generated a lot of heat. That had both DVB-T and DVB-S TBS cards in it and cost about €700 at the time.
    I now use €40 ARM devices as well as the Sat>IP DVB-S quad tuners and a couple of €8 USB tuner sticks for DVB-T.

It has been a revelation TBH.
    Processing the tuner data, EPG, Recordings etc takes very little processing power, and the ARM devices are designed to drive a display at up to 4K without much effort.
    I will never again bother with a HTPC build.
    ... if I only knew then what I know now ....... :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

I have had TBS cards but have moved to Sat>IP tuners in recent years, coupled with very lightweight (and cheap) hardware.
    I learned my lesson having built a 'HTPC' which was big, a little noisy at times and generated a lot of heat. That had both DVB-T and DVB-S TBS cards in it and cost about €700 at the time.
    I now use €40 ARM devices as well as the Sat>IP DVB-S quad tuners and a couple of €8 USB tuner sticks for DVB-T.

It has been a revelation TBH.
    Processing the tuner data, EPG, Recordings etc takes very little processing power, and the ARM devices are designed to drive a display at up to 4K without much effort.
    I will never again bother with a HTPC build.
    ... if I only knew then what I know now ....... :D:D

Just checking out your older posts on SAT>IP, very interesting, I'd be well into doing some research into this. Can you detail your existing setup, please?

The pic in this post gives an overview.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108671297&postcount=41

That thread has lots of details about 'the journey' and various thoughts and options I considered at the time (late 2018).

The present system is not a whole lot different to what is in that thread, but if you have some specific questions please ask and I will do my best to answer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement