Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Champions League 21-24: FTA on RTE&VMTV, LiveScore other matches

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

icdg wrote: »
    I really don’t think any pay TV company will be interested in those Wednesday games now, with both LiveScore and BT showing them. They’d be ideal for a FTA broadcaster. Not sure if there’s a possibility of VMTV re-entering the race now. It might have been that they made their bid contingent on winning both packages and won neither but if so who did win that package. Or have UEFA re-opened the tender process?

Why would they not show them FTA, assuming the price is right?

Even the UEFA global feed would be easier to watch than through an app. Casual viewers will flick over to it if it's on RTE 2 or TG4 or whoever has it, whereas they might not bother linking into an app to watch it. BT is pay tv as well, basic Sky + how much, 25/30 pm? Not for everyone. Premier Sport are not on Terrestrial TV either

Depends on the value I suppose......

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Why would they not show them FTA, assuming the price is right?

Even the UEFA global feed would be easier to watch than through an app. Casual viewers will flick over to it if it's on RTE 2 or TG4 or whoever has it, whereas they might not bother linking into an app to watch it. BT is pay tv as well, basic Sky + how much, 25/30 pm? Not for everyone. Premier Sport are not on Terrestrial TV either

Depends on the value I suppose......

Seems a lot of effort for the casual fan messing around with apps and trying to link it up to the TV? Then you also have to have adequate broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I can see it now champion's league on TG4 with Hector on commentary !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

TG4 used to show a fair bit of football. La Liga highlights and even the odd big live game included. Lots of LOI coverage too

Their sports coverage(from Tour de France to athletics) is pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Dindane

Elmo wrote: »
    Would livescore be interested in selling some of the games to Premier Sport? or could they?

How do LiveScore get the Serie A, La Liga and Portuguese pictures?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

VMTV back in the picture, having now secured the Wednesday FTA rights plus all rights to the Europa League and Europa Conference League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I've been saying for awhile now that Virgin Media Sport will be around for the foreseeable future and this deal cements that fact. Others here had it dead and buried.

It’s still not a lot to build a sports channel on, one night a fortnight really. And it won’t be a subscription driver when the matches are available elsewhere.

Now one thing I think they seriously should look at is the Irish FA Cup rights, which don’t appear to have been sold, in a context where half the matches won’t be on their platform.

Would be nice if they picked up these Irish FA Cup rights. I wonder if any games will be shown on ITV3 or ITV4 and if they will be blocked on Virgin Media. Time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭roadmaster

If they are to keep the sports station i can see them pushing hard for the gaa rights for the leagues that eir held

As I’ve said before, as a sports fan with Sky Sports, BT, and Premier Sports, there is absolutely no reason at the moment for me to want or need VM Sport. It has nothing exclusive. This acquisition (or rather retention) changes nothing about that. And when you are trying to sell a premium sports channel that is not a good position to be in. At least eir had the Pro14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I think this new deal with VM sounds good to me. These deals states to us that VM are now the official broadcaster in Ireland to show to the Europa Conference League for the very 1st time. That's a probably an achievement in itself in that they may show matches that involve more Irish clubs that compete in the ECL on their FTA channels if that was allowed under their new rights deal with UEFA.

VM were showing every match involving Dundalk in the Europa League group stages to FTA viewers when they had the final year of their original rights deal with UEFA which ended last season. If the rights of those ECL games in this deal were not going to VM here; the games may have been provided via an subscription package on Premier Sports Ireland or maybe on other subscription deals if that was the terms of these rights meaning a more limited audience would have gotten access to those games if the ECL was on that channel.

But now VM have a big opportunity here to expose a lot more Irish clubs, with FTA exposure on their TV channels, while they compete in the groups stages of the ECL. The non-Irish games of this tournament could then be put on VM Sports/Extra maybe until it gets to the knockout stages of the competition. The knockout could then get shown on the main FTA channels. So I'm guessing in this case it will shown on VM2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Virgin will remain a joke as long as they have blurry SD vision on Saorview. No excuse to not broadcast top tier sport in anything other than HD in 2021.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭mike2084

I hear the conference league will be exclusive to Virgin in Ireland - so BT won't be able to claim overspill rights here?

BT’s rights are more than mere “overspill”. Overspill happens when you don’t deliberately target the area concerned, but cannot stop your signal reaching that area. BT however can stop its signal reaching Ireland if it wanted by geoblocking. But it doesn’t. So it’s not really an example of overspill. It’s on Irish EPGs and subscriptions to it are being sold here. I prefer to use the term “non-exclusive”.

As to whether they’ll have to block the Conference League, VM’s press release does say “exclusive Irish broadcaster”. I think we’ll have to see what happens but I’m not convinced BT Will be blocking anything here. Incidentally I suspect many football fans and the bigger teams will be treating the Conference League as having about as much prestige as - or less than - the EFL Cup, given how the Europa League itself gets treated, so your milage may vary as to how important exclusive rights to this competition are.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/about-us/press/2021/virgin-media-ireland-secures-rights-to-uefa-champions-league-and-europa-league-for-next-3-years/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Irish football fans are really blessed. Nowhere else in Europe gets so much European football for free. At best on the continent you are lucky to get 1 free CL game per week.

You pay for the football on RTE via your Tv licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Yikes, do you expect to watch the biggest European club football competition for free, on a free TV, free laptop or a free mobile along with free broadband and using electricity for nothing as well?

Post edited by iseegirls on

ALL TV Licensing discussion is in the appropriate thread only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Uefa Super cup is on LiveScore tomorrow night if anyone is wondering what it's going to be like. There's a couple of south American games on later tonight as well

VM2 also showing the super cup

• Advertisement

Might try the cast from phone to tv tonight at 11.15pm and see if it actually works. I'm not hopeful but I hope I'm proven wrong.

They (LiveScore) seem to have the Copa Libertadores, Copa Sudamericana, and LaLiga 2. You learn something new everyday. (No sign of Serie A though).

Coverage for the Super Cup (and I presume everything else) seems to be strictly whistle to whistle,

BT Sport is exclusive home for Serie A until 2024.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,636 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Thank **** livescore didn’t get Serie A

I think in time the Champions League going to Livescore here will be considered a disaster by most viewers.

I’m not sure it will even enter into the heads of most viewers. The causal viewers will be happy that we are back to two FTA guaranteed games each week, with both a Tuesday and Wednesday game live (effectively like it was pre-2018 except RTE and VMTV have swapped nights). The hardcore viewers probably have BT anyway. As I say if you’re watching four Champions League games between two weekday evenings every second week, a causal viewer you are not! There may be situations where particular fans of particular teams are unhappy about FTA game choices, which is fair enough and always happens, but LiveScore will provide a free (if “no frills”) option for those without BT which is fair enough.

If you are on Virgin cable platform and had these games before and are now trying to get the app to work as livescore said it would you won't be happy.

LiveScore also seem to have a Swedish league game, if that’s your thing. Just the one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,811 ✭✭✭lertsnim

That's disappointing. What device did you use and what did you cast to? Was it Android TV or something like a firestick?

• Advertisement

Huawei P20 Pro android phone to a LG Smart Tv.

I think it's using Chromecast, do you know if the tv supports that? There's different streaming protocols, Chromecast is proprietary & mightn't be on the TV itself. You could try miracast/screen mirroring

I had to install a 3rd party app on the firestick to cast it. No miracast on phone. Tried the LiveScore app on it but not able to launch it properly with out touch support

Anyway the first game last night was poor quality video but the libertadores one was 720/25 & had two commentators.

That only appeared last night, can't see a list anywhere of what rights they actually have for this season. Wouldn't be surprised to see more showing up

Trying to get the game working through Chromecast and all I see is a blank screen. Very disappointing start to their UEFA deal.

Same here. That's what you get with free streaming I guess. A subpar service.

Looking at their Twitter account seems quite a few people having the same issue. Can't imagine what it'll be like on a busy Champions League night. Bit of a shiitshow.

Did yous have to register to watch? I wouldn't be bothered, didn't have to, to watch the games last night.

No need to register.

I was expecting a no frills service but not even having a functioning casting option is even below that basic level. Back to Virgin fuzzy vision on Saorview it is.

Got it working with a Chromecast - on the second attempt it must be said. But it was just really to test, since the games on two linear channels anyway.

No you don’t have to register - it’s the Watch tab (middle bottom) on the app.

• Advertisement

I do, got the games last night without it. I updated the app today though wonder did that do it. I'll check the south American games later.

Working now. Picture better than Virgin 2 on Saorview at least though that wouldn't be hard.

Is the group stage draw for the UEFA CL being broadcast on the RTÉ News channel & RTÉ Player from tomorrow?

Not in the schedule, though this being the RTE News Channel, that doesn’t mean it won’t be. It’s on BT Sport and UEFA.com and I’m given to understand it’s on the VM Sport channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Yep, VM sport has the 3 draws live over the next 2 days.

With LiveScore, you seem to have to register to watch matches on iOS now. You definitely didn’t need to before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Seemingly an issue to be resolved. There was commentary on the Super Cup. There should be an English language world feed available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

RTÉ have started to use the new UEFA Champions League titles for BSC Young Boys vs Man United this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,256 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I've got commentary on Barca Bayern at the moment. I think it's ex Virgin Media commentators

• Advertisement
Advertisement