Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UEFA Champions League 21-24: FTA on RTE&VMTV, LiveScore other matches

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,154 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

With BT on Now TV why would you subscribe to anything else?

The BT on now tv is only the broadcast channel. So no red button stuff and for Champions League that’s a big enough deal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Delta2113

If BT have retained the rights to broadcast into Ireland, I would think that would leave a free to air channel as a contender for the rights?

With BT on Now TV why would you subscribe to anything else?

Could TG4 be a runner?

- No chance!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

TG4 do not have the capacity to do what this contract demands, which is to televise 15 games over two nights each match day. I would rule out any FTA station for the same reason. VMTV only got it because they were in a position to set up the sports channel and 7 “Extra” channels on their cable system. It’s true you could use the internet to deliver but could TG4 or RTE cope with the demand? (RTE certainly not).

I think the obvious answer is still Premier Sports. But I think we’ll just have to wait until it’s announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »
    TG4 do not have the capacity to do what this contract demands, which is to televise 15 games over two nights each match day. I would rule out any FTA station for the same reason. VMTV only got it because they were in a position to set up the sports channel and 7 “Extra” channels on their cable system. It’s true you could use the internet to deliver but could TG4 or RTE cope with the demand? (RTE certainly not).

I think the obvious answer is still Premier Sports. But I think we’ll just have to wait until it’s announced.

I would rule out TG4 also.

but RTÉ are involved in watchloi.ie they could add it to this service.

Elmo wrote: »
    I would rule out TG4 also.

but RTÉ are involved in watchloi.ie they could add it to this service.

Personally I find it totally hypocritical of RTE to be leading a drive against what they mislabel “pay per view” in GAA matches while at the same time running such a service. But maybe that’s just me. I’m also really uncomfortable with RTE as a public service broadcaster being involved with pay TV sport but it’s not like it’s really new to them given they owned or part owned what was then the State’s largest pay TV provider for nearly 30 years.

Anyway I don’t see it happening in any case if only due to the fact that the IT seems clear what rights RTE have secured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I use BT on the Now tv app and was able to view any match I wanted to see. They have 4 channels on it and that would cover most people's viewing needs.

I can't see people subscribing to Premier just for Champions League football when people would already have Sky/Now TV for soccer and rugby.

Virgin was different in that lots of people had it for their broadband as other providers weren't an option.

This would be great for RTE or TG4 as it would push a huge amount of people towards viewing their players and drive up ad revenue.

Wait and see though.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

Personally I find it totally hypocritical of RTE to be leading a drive against what they mislabel “pay per view” in GAA matches while at the same time running such a service. But maybe that’s just me. I’m also really uncomfortable with RTE as a public service broadcaster being involved with pay TV sport but it’s not like it’s really new to them given they owned or part owned what was then the State’s largest pay TV provider for nearly 30 years.

I don't get this. How is WatchLOI any different from GAAGo?

dohboy wrote: »
    I don't get this. How is WatchLOI any different from GAAGo?

It isn’t and I wasn’t making that point at all. In fact they are built on exactly the same platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭roadmaster

If Premier sports where to get the champions league they would probably need to make a move for the Pro 14 & National Hurling & Football leagues when they come up to make it worth peoples time paying for it.

roadmaster wrote: »
    If Premier sports where to get the champions league they would probably need to make a move for the Pro 14 & National Hurling & Football leagues when they come up to make it worth peoples time paying for it.

I think they might make a move for the Allianz Leagues, if they still exist in the next contract period, and if eir Sport is looking like exiting the market. I think they’ll walk from the Pro14 because it just doesn’t look like it’s paying its way for them in the U.K.

• Advertisement

Anyway I don’t see it happening in any case if only due to the fact that the IT seems clear what rights RTE have secured.
    If it makes you feel any easier, RTE had to be dragged kicking and screaming into watchloi by the FAI and would happily ditch it completely if they didn’t think there’s be a PR backlash...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Will any decision on this new rights agreement be made this week or next week?

Only UEFA know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Does the new rights include the Europa Conference League?

mikeym wrote: »
    Does the new rights include the Europa Conference League?

The Europa League and Europa Conference League rights are sold together

The Super Cup rights are bundled with one of the the Champions League packages

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This year's UFEA Super Cup will be played in Windsor Park in Belfast. Is it one of those events that have to be a broadcast to a wider audience? If it was the case that the Super Cup was not broadcast on VM this year because they may not have the rights to do it this year. Would it not be RTÉ's turn to take it up or will it shown on Premier if they get it?

Now that we know that Eir Sport wont be in existence for much longer I reckon this could pave the way for a new company to enter the market.

Dazn could be that company or maybe Amazon might also be the surprise bidder.

I cant see Premier Sports getting the rights, they would have to go it alone and not be bundled with BT Sport who also have the Champions League & Europa League rights.

mikeym wrote: »
    Now that we know that Eir Sport wont be in existence for much longer I reckon this could pave the way for a new company to enter the market.

I wonder if it will be a straight forward close down or will the replace it with something else ? "There is no immediate change to the content provided by eir sport. We are currently exploring options for the future of eir sport."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Elmo wrote: »
    I wonder if it will be a straight forward close down or will the replace it with something else ? "There is no immediate change to the content provided by eir sport. We are currently exploring options for the future of eir sport."

it could be possible that premier will pick up the rights on the cheap and buy the assests in what would be a reversal of the previous where Eir bought setanta?

• Advertisement

I thought we would have heard some news about the new rights holder by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

15th May 2018 was when it was last announced, so it may go on into May by time we hear.

Oz streaming service Sports Flick have held off signing rights to show the Champions League over European Super League concerns. Some say this is just an excuse as they are having difficulty with getting financial guarantees with a Bank.

Maybe Virgin Media Sports have had a lucky escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Interesting to see how this plays out with the ESL news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I think the tv rights with Bt will be interesting. wont be worth a penny if none of the big six are in it.

I think the tv rights with Bt will be interesting. wont be worth a penny if none of the big six are in it.

- European Super league is being called off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Excellent news.

The Champions League Final is on this Saturday and we still dont know who is the new rights holder that will show the matches that Virgin have.

• Advertisement

We’re normally among the last territories in Europe to be announced, this is the same thing that’s happened the last few times. That said you’d have to think an announcement is imminent now that Tuesday nights are dealt with.

It’s also good to see RTE get highlights rights back - I’ve felt over the last few years that the post game seems to end very abruptly around 10pm with only a few minutes of analysis allowed - obviously this was a clause in the contract that required them to be off air by a particular point.

Advertisement