Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesat and Freeview to merge

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well, apart form RTE and TG4 :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

dubrov wrote: »
    Channel 4 seem to have some special arrangement. Their player works no problem in Ireland and could easily be geolocked. I guess E4/More4 are related.

They have been buying Irish rights to virtually all their programmes since the late 1990s, it is in their standard producer terms. They have some issues with imported programming and sports, so you can’t stream the Heineken Cup on All4 for example. I am not sure why the live streams are completely blocked. I have a suspicion that it is for a reason less to do with rights and more to do with keeping the pay TV operators on side.

In general all the channels on the Irish Sky EPG have their ROI licensing and rights in order - this is a requirement or Sky will not list them (hence the channels removed due to Brexit that did not have their licensing in order). The biggest U.K. broadcaster that does not is Channel 5 who were never part of the arrangements allowing transmission on cable. ITV is part of those arrangements but effectively entered into an agreement with VMTV to withdraw from the market.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

dubrov wrote: »
    I would've thought the Irish market was too small for that.
    Do you have an example of a channel that does that?

Many of the Discovery and Viacom (MTV/Paramount) channels have Irish advertising feeds. Most sell their ads via Sky, who also have Irish advertising feeds.

Sky are perfectly happy to do the ad sales for a FTA channel, they do the CBS ones, Food Network, Dave etc.

Advertisement