Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s out of the box

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭mr_cochise

Hi all,
    just an update on taxes and charges. I received an email from FedEx this morning billing me E63.38 for import charges. Attaching screenshot.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭padmcv

mr_cochise wrote: »
    Hi all,
    just an update on taxes and charges. I received an email from FedEx this morning billing me E63.38 for import charges. Attaching screenshot.

Do you mind me asking what your WoS order total was? I assume over €150 if you are being charged duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 willsandbills

Thanks again, It will have to all wait a while now as I was doing this on another satellite dish yesterday. my new one has to be aligned yet. Ill prob use the satellite finder app unless any suggesti

BTW i noticed that the pic quality coming through from the Zgemma was much better that the built in tuners in the 2 year old LG tv that i was using it on, For that alone its worth the money.

thanks again all

w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Disappointing! I was hoping that this would be classed as computer components, and thus be exempt from duty.

€18 as FedEx's handling charge is scandalous. You don't have the option to deal with Revenue yourself, so you're forced to pay it.

Also, not sure FedEx went about it in a fair manner. The charges weren't made clear to you before you accepted delivery. Therefore, you didn't know what they would be (if any) and you didn't have the option to refuse delivery.

padmcv wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what your WoS order total was? I assume over €150 if you are being charged duty?

WOS total was 129.95 sterling (E147.76) plus 13.92 sterling for FedEx (E15.82).
    Total 143.86 sterling (E163.58)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 willsandbills

That is scandalous Mtr Cochise, ill prob get that in a few days also.

The 150 limit for duty is apparently calculated by adding the price of the unit to the shipping and then adding the courier handling charge and if all that totals 150 you get duty added. It will be bad news for future WOS sales outside the UK. and indeed for all other UK sellers. It will all sink in as reality over the next while im afraid.

Schorpio wrote: »
    Disappointing! I was hoping that this would be classed as computer components, and thus be exempt from duty.

€18 as FedEx's handling charge is scandalous. You don't have the option to deal with Revenue yourself, so you're forced to pay it.

Also, not sure FedEx went about it in a fair manner. The charges weren't made clear to you before you accepted delivery. Therefore, you didn't know what they would be (if any) and you didn't have the option to refuse delivery.

Yeah, I'm okay with the import and customs charges based on examples I have come across but I'm a bit pissed about the lack of transparency from FedEx. They have made E34 out of the whole total of E227 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Bloody hell rape in the making , yes a real bummer.

Did one read this as it might be of help.

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/brexit-and-european-orders-from-january-2021

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

That is not on. You should advise WOS. For anyone else that box is now €147.00 inc delivery at satworld. Thats an 80 euro hit for having an image loaded. Just ordered one as still on lockdown.

That does not mention the extra charges.

swoofer wrote: »
    That is not on. You should advise WOS. For anyone else that box is now €147.00 inc delivery at satworld. Thats an 80 euro hit for having an image loaded. Just ordered one as still on lockdown.

That does not mention the extra charges.

Just to add that I also got a 500gb harddrive installed, an 8GB usb stick, and also the image preloaded.

• Advertisement

But are images not loaded free of charge from WOS?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Thanks for sharing your experience
    It's unfortunate you went above the 150 euro limit so got caught for duty and also that the courier charges a hefty admin fee

For anyone else ordering maybe check prices on Amazon on the mainland around 160 euros currently

You happy with the box otherwise?

greasepalm wrote: »
    But are images not loaded free of charge from WOS?

£1 charge for loading image.

athlone573 wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing your experience
    It's unfortunate you went above the 150 euro limit so got caught for duty and also that the courier charges a hefty admin fee

For anyone else ordering maybe check prices on Amazon on the mainland around 160 euros currently

You happy with the box otherwise?

Absolutely. Very happy with the box. No fault with WOS. Good value for money with them.
    FedEx have taken some liberties by absorbing some of the customers value.

All in, my Sky tv sub was €53 euro per month. The box will have paid for itself in approx 4 months. The wife and kids are well able to use it.
    ITV is now near the top of the channel list for them to watch programmes like the masked singer, the voice, catchphrase, etc. I got to watch the rugby in hd on Saturday without messing about with 'other' channels.

Ah that makes a difference and explains the wide margin. Can you not query that charge with FED EX and WOS. €18.19 to process 44 euro is a bit off.

And they are saying estimates!!

This now as you said have a bearing on outside costs and maybe looking further afield to a euro zone stockist if one cant source it locally.

If i got WOS to send me over a free 4 sat tuner box would i still get charged?

What about a faulty box covered under warranty as i have to pay shipping costs and what about clarification on taxes coming back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I've started checking prices on amazon.de for comparison. Amazon UK is a bloody mess. Even when i'm logged in, some say straight off they wont ship here anymore but with others you get all the way to the checkout and THEN it says can't ship to Ireland. So why the hell did they show me the items?

It seems to be the age old story. Some genius comes up with ideas like Brexit and the small man always pays the price.
    /rant

I've started checking prices on amazon.de for comparison. Amazon UK is a bloody mess. Even when i'm logged in, some say straight off they wont ship here anymore but with others you get all the way to the checkout and THEN it says can't ship to Ireland. So why the hell did they show me the items?

It seems to be the age old story. Some genius comes up with ideas like Brexit and the small man always pays the price.
    /rant

Gerry they want you to BITE big and hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Amazon UK is a bloody mess. Even when i'm logged in, some say straight off they wont ship here anymore but with others you get all the way to the checkout and THEN it says can't ship to Ireland. So why the hell did they show me the items?

I'm seeing £131.07 (approx €149) for Zgemma H7s at amazon.co.uk, delivered to Ireland with Prime. See attachment.

However, Satworld has it for €138.91 with free delivery in 1 - 3 days. Next day delivery available for €8.41.

Edit: Just noticed that the picture on Satworld shows an RF out loop connection on the rear of the box, but there isn't one on the Amazon image. Does it have one or not?

But as stated above, WOS loads an image, fits a HDD and a USB for the all in price. Its the FEDEX handling charge of €18.00 that's a bit of a rip off and a cheek.

• Advertisement

But as stated above, WOS loads an image, fits a HDD and a USB for the all in price. Its the FEDEX handling charge of €18.00 that's a bit of a rip off and a cheek.

Yeah, I think you would be hard pressed to find better value than what WOS provide.
    It really is FedEx taking the urine.

Think normally it was DHL who originally delivered all mine

It was £40 to have a 500gb had supplied and fitted (€45)
    £4.95 for the usb stick (€5.55).

These obviously impacted the tax and import costs.
    Could one do better by buying these separately in Ireland? Approx €61 when vat is added.

Add that to the €139 price on offer by Satworld and we come in at €200 but would have to fit hdd ourselves.

Gadgie wrote: »
    I'm seeing £131.07 (approx €149) for Zgemma H7s at amazon.co.uk, delivered to Ireland with Prime. See attachment.

However, Satworld has it for €138.91 with free delivery in 1 - 3 days. Next day delivery available for €8.41.

Edit: Just noticed that the picture on Satworld shows an RF out loop connection on the rear of the box, but there isn't one on the Amazon image. Does it have one or not?

Just looked at my H7S 4k only 1 input for Saorview and no RF out

In my case, I already have spare HDD and USB sticks that I can use.

I just checked WOS and without these options it's £105.57 (approx. €120) delivered to Ireland via FedEx. 21% VAT is approx €25, plus FedEx handling fee of €18. Total of approx. €163.

I've just ordered from Satworld with free delivery. I should have it by the end of the week.

What's the benefit of a USB stick if you have an HDD installed?

Gadgie wrote: »
    In my case, I already have spare HDD and USB sticks that I can use.

I just checked WOS and without these options it's £105.57 (approx. €120) delivered to Ireland via FedEx. 21% VAT is approx €25, plus FedEx handling fee of €18. Total of approx. €163.

I've just ordered from Satworld with free delivery. I should have it by the end of the week.

What's the benefit of a USB stick if you have an HDD installed?

I threw in the usb stick on a whim as I am always losing them and is handy if I want to flash an image.

I remember setting up epg for usb as it was handier to format it and setup again when issues arose.
    Do people say have picons on usb as i dont bother with them.

Just looked at my H7S 4k only 1 input for Saorview and no RF out

Thanks. Maybe the Satworld pic is for a different box. It would be a nice surprise if it did have one!
    mr_cochise wrote: »
    I threw in the usb stick on a whim as I am always losing them and is handy if I want to flash an image.

I see. I wasn't sure if there was some benefit for timeshift recording.
    I remember setting up epg for usb as it was handier to format it and setup again when issues arose.
    Do people say have picons on usb as i dont bother with them.

Edit: Removed reply. I misunderstood what you were asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

the idea of the USB was for picons so as not to spin up the HDD all the time. These days you can get a smallish SSD cheap enough.(~€26 for 120Gb) They are also silent for use in a bedroom.

• Advertisement

the idea of the USB was for picons so as not to spin up the HDD all the time. These days you can get a smallish SSD cheap enough.(~€26 for 120Gb) They are also silent for use in a bedroom.

Good idea. I have a spare SSD from an old laptop that I will be using.

Advertisement