Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you cancel and resubscribe to Sky to get a discount?

Options
  • 02-03-2021 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Got the letter from Sky telling me about the price increase so I went to the website and checked it out. It turns out that new subscribers pay half of what I am paying and only have a 12 month contract. If I cancel my old contract and sign up for a new one can I get the half price deal?

That reminds me of the situation with gas and electricity suppliers where you need to swap providers or at least cancel your contract once a year to get the best deal. Does anybody do this with Sky?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

Mad Mike wrote: »
    Got the letter from Sky telling me about the price increase so I went to the website and checked it out. It turns out that new subscribers pay half of what I am paying and only have a 12 month contract. If I cancel my old contract and sign up for a new one can I get the half price deal?

That reminds me of the situation with gas and electricity suppliers where you need to swap providers or at least cancel your contract once a year to get the best deal. Does anybody do this with Sky?

Call up, tell them you are cancelling, wait for transfer to cancellation team, see what offers. Tell them you going to Saorview, lost job etc. They'll make your an offer. Be prepared to accept or outright cancel.
    It's one month cancellation period. They will call you in that period trying to get you back.
    You can region sky any time.

Cancelling should be an annual effort

• Registered Users Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Mad Mike wrote:

You can only get the half price offer once. When they say new subscribers, that is exactly what they mean. You can rejoin in your partner name and a dif bank account.

As posted above, ring & tell them that you want to cancel. You will be transferred to the retention department. My daughter worked there for a while. They will try giving you a deal if you take broadband as well. Refuse that. They will offer a small discount & offer to remove some of the existing package to reduce the cost. They will then just offer discount. The discount can be as little as 10 percent & as high as 50 percent. It depends on the time of year. Small discounts in December when lots are taking out sky package and bigger discounts in January when lots of people are cancelling.

Have a look at NowTV. Movies and entertainment are much cheaper on NowTV

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Mad Mike wrote: »

This year for two separate accounts the advisor has told me “they are the cancellation team” but that once they run through some things they would put me through to the “final billing team”.

Previously they were the crowd with decent offers but this year the advisors came back after a minute in hold to tell me they would do it becuase the lines were very busy. In both cases I proceeded with the cancellations and then called back about a week later and they were able to match my original price.

Stick with it and either they make you an offer you’re happy with or be prepared to go through the cancellation.

They will tell you you can’t just rejoin until 12 months have passed. However realistically if you have someone else in the house willing to sign up they can’t refuse it. There will probably be some downtime though cause they’ll want to send back your equipment and send out new stuff for the other contract. Worst case scenario you can do this

Advertisement