Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zgemma H7s out of the box

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Linoge wrote: »
    Bought a wifi dongle from Amazon too but no joy getting it working so far. Wish I had just added a known compaitble one from WOS while ordering.

I'm using this one that I purchased from an Irish seller on eBay:
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Wireless-Network-Card-Mini-USB-Dongle-WiFi-Adapter-Internet-For-Laptop-PC-063/291798068668

It works fine, but I find the WiFi setup on OpenVix a bit fiddly - even using the setup wizard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭swoofer

You would need to find the chipset name and then look for a driver but I have forgotten how to do that. I would porbaly stick in laptop and right click properties. There is another post on here that shows another method !!.

I have box opened now and set up with SSD, for you I put in a wi fi dongle and it worked intstantly. The factory image is Openatv6.00 so about 2017 and I know openatv is good for recognising dongles. I have used a few, that came with boxes and most were rubbish. I got this one for a test and it was ace but I am very near router.

300Mbps Wireless USB WPS Adapter, amazon.

I am going to try openvix using multiboot but ... today is footie day.

If you mean fiddly ie as putting in text, press the text key on remote and you should get a keyboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Cheers for the tips and links lads
    swoofer wrote: »
    You would need to find the chipset name and then look for a driver but I have forgotten how to do that. I would porbaly stick in laptop and right click properties. There is another post on here that shows another method !!.

Yes, thats exactly what i did - found the chipset Realtek 8812BU and installed the driver. Dongle defo not dead as it looks fine in laptop. Receiver is connected directly to modem now which is fine for the moment, just not connected to my main network for any file transfers or streaming i might want to do down the road

did you do a hard reboot ie switch off at rear?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 willsandbills

Update on my H7s purchase from WOS

The bill arrived from Fed Ex. irish vat was charged, no problem as i did not pay UK vat. The killer was the 18 euro clearance fee from fed ex. My total purchase from WOS was 105 pounds I think. Hence no duty. I think its wrong that a courier company can more or less charge you whatever they like AFTER one has received the goods , so you have no say in it. Still thats the way it is for the future.
    I think the successful companies in the future in the UK will have a Global purchase option like there is when buying from some companies in the US. That is . What you pay is the final amount and they take care of paying the vat and duty if applicable. That way everyone knows up front what the bottom line is .
    Se la Vie.

• Advertisement

Gadgie wrote: »
    I'm using this one that I purchased from an Irish seller on eBay:
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Wireless-Network-Card-Mini-USB-Dongle-WiFi-Adapter-Internet-For-Laptop-PC-063/291798068668

It works fine, but I find the WiFi setup on OpenVix a bit fiddly - even using the setup wizard.

I'm having problems with this dongle now. It worked fine for the first couple of days, but won't connect to the network at all now, no matter how many times I restart the network and box. I tried it in my laptop and it seems to work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭greasepalm

What driver did you download from plugins was it the correct one. Maybe use the red button and search for that driver and delete and make a note of it. Exit out and download again to see if it makes a difference.

Most wifi dongles have an aerial sticking up at the back.

Laptop is out in the open as boxes are usually stuck in a spot of bad reception.

greasepalm wrote: »
    What driver did you download from plugins was it the correct one.

None initially, as it worked with default OpenVix image.

Windows says the chipset is RTL8188CTV. The only driver available to download was RTL8188FU, so I tried that and it worked at first, but it's gone off again now.

I'll have stop being a cheapskate and invest in a decent dongle! :D

Even buying a vu turbo tuner for solo2 to add Saourview it would not even see it until drivers were downloaded and installed but as with everything it needs to be a supported model.Pity you cant use wired lan cable or home plugs.

Hello again. I had to re flash after the h7 s kept stalling
    Can I ask is there much difference between the h7 s software interface that one gets straight out of the box versus the openvix that I have
    No complaints re the look and feel of openvix but maybe one would be better off with the manufacturer supplied software. As in maybe it would be more stable .

• Advertisement

I only use Openvix and have no issues, remember sometimes remote might like a harder press for response.

Stalling in what way or what issue?

The software out of the box is openatv 6.0 ie 2017. when you say stalling what exactly do you mean? I am tinkering with h7s at the moment. are you aware you can use 4 images, try them out and then opt for best one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,433 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I don't see many people advocating for it, but I use PurE2, and it has been rock solid for me, and (personally) I think it looks better too...

When i would power up the unit from the white button at the rear it would just say boot on the screen. in order to get it to properly boot I would have to unplug the cables at the rear. Boot up and then plug back in.

it also stalled on audio while watching a program and although i could change channels there was no audio anywhere.

Re flashed and worked last night, but will have to wait and see.

Thats why I was asking if the manufacturers software might be better.

It did the same on two different satellite systems so that eliminates any cable or LNB fault .

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom

willie

I think your box came with openvix so it might be an idea to try a different image but your fault does not look good. Did you put in the HDD yourself? I found with my box that the hdd would not fit in the slot and even when I opened it I could not get it to fit. So I put in an SSD and I have usb for the EPG.

You could check to see that the HDD is seated snugly ie take out from socket and put back in.

To put another image you can do it on the fly by going menu VIX, Image manager, press ok and it should come up with a few images but you need internet. Select openatv and it will ask for a slot, it will show openvix in one slot so don't use that as it will delete it.

It will flash and reboot and its setup as if one image. You can then use a mutiboot facility to switch.

I am on HDF Freaks at the moment.

HDD is fine thanks, its all working now so will suck it and see , as they say.
    Thanks everyone for being so responsive.
    w

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ITV2

I only use Openvix and have no issues, remember sometimes remote might like a harder press for response.

Stalling in what way or what issue?
    is it easy to install ?

Install what like another image on another partition on the box i have not used or done that.
    @itv2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

started messing around with mine and now im stuck on openpli , won't flash using 2 different usb sticks ,just stays on boot...........both sticks worked before now

is there a way to do it through ftp on openpli? cant see anything

just want to get my backup openvix image back on

Is image in Image Manager?

• Advertisement

i cant see any image manager in openpli

there is a flash image in the menu but that only brings me to other versions of openpli

i have the unzipped backup image on the usb

Can you try holding down the power button and see if multiboot appears? And did you have more than one image on box?

You may have to start from scratch using emmc recovery but in the process it may ask to restore settings.

I ended up using PURE2 to flash other images but it can be done with vix image manager as well as I have now discovered. Its not good to flash from usb.

swoofer wrote: »
    Can you try holding down the power button and see if multiboot appears? And did you have more than one image on box?

You may have to start from scratch using emmc recovery but in the process it may ask to restore settings.

I ended up using PURE2 to flash other images but it can be done with vix image manager as well as I have now discovered. Its not good to flash from usb.

multiboot appears but no images found
    can i start from scratch using ftp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

is there a way to do it through ftp on openpli? cant see anything

You can do it via the command line using Putty (SSH)

dubrov wrote: »
    You can do it via the command line using Putty (SSH)

i did come across that alright

it wouldn't let me enter a password to connect to ftp though

so i can restore my backed up openvix with putty?

still stuck on openpli

get me out of here! :D

any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

still stuck on openpli

get me out of here! :D

any suggestions?

Have you followed the procedure detailed here exactly?

If not do that, if you have and you still can't recover the box then you should start by reading everything to do with recovery and other people's issues and possibly asking for help on the WOS forums here.

it wouldn't let me enter a password to connect to ftp though

You can set the password in the menu. It's in something like settings->network->utilities

I was talking about SSH anyway where you can execute commands. Ftp is for file transfer
    so i can restore my backed up openvix with putty?

You can restore a backup via the menu

somehow the USB flash worked for me today

same procedure that wouldn't work the last few days

openvix backup restored

time to start messing around again :D

• Advertisement

Gorilla glue on hands behind your back works great and no need to mess again.

i actually think i wasn't pressing the front button fast enough to start the flash

seems to be a small window to press that button

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭emclau

Hi,
    I’ve had a H7s for about a year and a half now. It came installed with openatv flashed, I have not updated it since. However, it now crashes 2/3 times a week at random times - I have to frequently turn off and back on.

I’ve read this forum and openvix now seems to be the preferred option. Is it hard to switch to openvix? Is it hard to setup a partition so I can have both? I’m not very techie- I want to upgrade but I’m put off if it’s difficult to execute... hoping for some guidance! Thanks!

NB Do it as Vic-08 suggests, easier and neater. I did not release flash online with openatv gave other images, I do now.

You should try and sort the problem first as it may exist with openvix as well. Is box well ventilated? what skin are you using?

Openvix is good and if you are handy you can flash box and then use other images.

1. Format a usb to fat 32.

download this. extract to usb uisng winzip or such like. importnat use the one that says emmc recovery zip

2. http://images.mynonpublic.com/openatv/nightly/index.php?open=zgemmah7

3. Insert stick into rear USB port and power on at rear its a white button , at the same time press little button in under the front flap until FLSH appears on LCD. Then release.

This will flash ViX to partition 1 and you can then flash other images to the other partitions via Image Manager.

That is what I did but these boxes can be tricky. When box boots up with Openvix it is like starting from scratch so you follow the onscreen prompts. You set language, hdmi, then set tuners and the dtt tuner. It looks daunting but worth it.

Have you a few usb's and more than one box?

Say if you want a step by step and I'll try and set it out but others will join in.

Do a backuo first.

emclau wrote: »
    Hi,
    I’ve had a H7s for about a year and a half now. It came installed with openatv flashed, I have not updated it since. However, it now crashes 2/3 times a week at random times - I have to frequently turn off and back on.

I’ve read this forum and openvix now seems to be the preferred option. Is it hard to switch to openvix? Is it hard to setup a partition so I can have both? I’m not very techie- I want to upgrade but I’m put off if it’s difficult to execute... hoping for some guidance! Thanks!

All the major images are very similar. They are all based on the same libraries.

The easiest way to resolve your issue is to start from scratch and flash a new image. You will need to configure everything again though

emclau wrote: »
    Hi,

It's either a hardware or a software issue, most likely the latter.

You should install a fresh image. by using the inbuilt image flash procedure it automatically gives you the option to install to a separate slot (4 are available) so your current image is not overwritten.

First of all, backup your settings
    Menu>Setup>Software Management>Backup System Settings

You can of course transfer them over as part of the flashing, you will be prompted as part of the install to restore from saved settings, however there is a possibility that you will be transferring whatever is causing the crash so if you do this and it still crashes then a fresh as-new install manually set-up would be needed

To flash on-line go to

Menu>Setup>Software Management>Flash Online>

There will be some options here, if you had made a full image backup of your box before it started crashing you can re-install that, otherwise there will be a number of the most recent packages for different versions of openATV.

If you were happy with your previous setup then a fresh install of the same version is not a bad idea, you can always add a newer version or a different one later.

Click on the image you want and it will give the option of which slot you want to install to, click on that and it will install, once loaded the setup will take you through the install procedure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lgs 4

What video conversion software should I use to read and play Zgemma 7s recordings on my pc, from a USB or do I need a hard drive docking station. For editing and storing elsewhere.

lgs 4 wrote: »
    What video conversion software should I use to read and play Zgemma 7s recordings on my pc, from a USB or do I need a hard drive docking station. For editing and storing elsewhere.

You don't need any conversion, the files will play on VLC, windows media player or pretty much any other video player.

The videos will either be MPEG2 (most SD recordings) or MPEG4 h.264 (all HD and some SD)

If you have the E2 box connected to the same network as your PC you should be able to view it in your network connections and copy the files directly or play them from the box.

Each recording has 6 files, the video file .ts and 5 others which store the metadata, only the .ts is needed for playback but the others should be kept if you want your Zgemma or any other similar box to be able to display the titles, recording information, etc.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    You don't need any conversion, the files will play on VLC, windows media player or pretty much any other video player.

The videos will either be MPEG2 (most SD recordings) or MPEG4 h.264 (all HD and some SD)

If you have the E2 box connected to the same network as your PC you should be able to view it in your network connections and copy the files directly or play them from the box.

Each recording has 6 files, the video file .ts and 5 others which store the metadata, only the .ts is needed for playback but the others should be kept if you want your Zgemma or any other similar box to be able to display the titles, recording information, etc.

Thanks for the reply. For a test run. I transferred Graham Norton from the box to USB. I can see all the files, but the video file video won't play in vlc . Just tried the stick again and windows run a USB repair. It may have been the coding.

Is there a plugin for MHEG-5 digital text on RTE and the BBC? That is stable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

I currently have Sky Q installed but I'm about to order this Zgemma box and cancel sky.

Will I need to get a new LNB for this box to work or will my current Sky Q LNB work?

• Advertisement

Sky Q lnb is only for their box and wont work on enigma 2 boxes unless its a hybrid as you have freesat boxes.

If only 2 cables on lnb its a sky q lnb and needs to be changed.

Are you thinking of adding more tv in other rooms and needing more outputs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

Sky Q lnb is only for their box and wont work on enigma 2 boxes unless its a hybrid as you have freesat boxes.

If only 2 cables on lnb its a sky q lnb and needs to be changed.

Are you thinking of adding more tv in other rooms and needing more outputs?

Perfect, that's what I was thinking.

Yes I want another line going to the back of the house for another Freesat box there.

So I'd need a quad lnb? Would that be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭mr_cochise

Boxfresh wrote: »

Yes I want another line going to the back of the house for another Freesat box there.

I bought this one last month. Easy to swap out.
    https://www.freetv.ie/octo-lnb/?selected_section=discussion&write_review=true

Boxfresh wrote: »

Remember if you upgrade is 4 enough so quad if your happy.

Usually 2 feeds per room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Irishder

Hi All,
    i set up the box originally with 2 EPG's one for saorview and one for the Uk channels. For some reason they have combined into the one. Any idea how i can get it to revert to two again?

Thanks,

Irishder wrote: »
    Hi All,
    i set up the box originally with 2 EPG's one for saorview and one for the Uk channels. For some reason they have combined into the one. Any idea how i can get it to revert to two again?

Thanks,

I assume you mean bouquets (channel groups) and not EPG. I also assume you are using AutoBouquetMaker.

Go into that plugin and check the settings for Saorview. You'll need to make sure it is set to create a main bouquet.

dubrov wrote: »
    I assume you mean bouquets (channel groups) and not EPG. I also assume you are using AutoBouquetMaker.

Go into that plugin and check the settings for Saorview. You'll need to make sure it is set to create a main bouquet.

Thanks checked all of that but still no joy, When i run bouquet maker it runs but when i go to the EPG i cant see the bouquets

thanks for your help

With openvix i use button under the ok button then blue button favourites for bouquets maybe try that?

With openvix i use button under the ok button then blue button favourites for bouquets maybe try that?

That worked thanks a million

anyone use client mode?

do i need more than one satellite feed to the master box to watch different satellite channels on master and slave?

• Advertisement
Advertisement