Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir and Virgin Media Sport - cross supply deal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Does that give us a faint hope that the next item for resolution is the return of Eir Sport on Virgin?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Faint I suspect is the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

I wouldnt be surprised if Eir close down the Eir Sport channel.

They dont seem to be interested in getting new sporting content and are happy to show old content.

Virgin could have taken them to the cleaners over the recent row over the cross supply deal, clearly Eir were in the wrong.

Long term future hinges on what happens with the Pro14 deal. I am not convinced it is currently paying its way for Premier Sports given the resources they need to put in as the main host broadcaster and I suspect they might back out. Where does the league go then? Sky are essentially out of rugby now. BT have PRL and little room in their schedule to do the Pro14 too. A new FTA coalition deal in the U.K. might then be on the cards but could weaken the case for eir Sport if they are effectively left with only interpros exclusively in any new deal. Interesting times ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

icdg wrote: »
    Long term future hinges on what happens with the Pro14 deal. I am not convinced it is currently paying its way for Premier Sports given the resources they need to put in as the main host broadcaster and I suspect they might back out. Where does the league go then? Sky are essentially out of rugby now. BT have PRL and little room in their schedule to do the Pro14 too. A new FTA coalition deal in the U.K. might then be on the cards but could weaken the case for eir Sport if they are effectively left with only interpros exclusively in any new deal. Interesting times ahead.

Amazon Prime might sweep up those rights?

Don’t see why they’d be interested in the Pro14 when by all accounts their mooted “interest” in PRL was purely imaginary (and left PRL with egg on their face when it turned out to be so and they ended up renewing with BT for less money). Amazon like rights that they don’t have to do any work in producing or that give a boost to their real business (retail and logistics) at a busy time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Why is the CL/EL not blocked for us over here? If VM have the deal I would have assumed the BT part would be blocked? Will we still get CL/EL on BT from 2021/22 season the way we have for the last few seasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Why is the CL/EL not blocked for us over here? If VM have the deal I would have assumed the BT part would be blocked? Will we still get CL/EL on BT from 2021/22 season the way we have for the last few seasons?

It must be that they don't have an exclusive deal (if even something like that exists)

Renewing the 6 Nations and Champions League this year is crucial for Virgin Media.

Essentially, what happened was that BT’s deal was done first, and was done on the basis of “exclusive in the U.K., non-exclusive in Ireland”. So both BT and Virgin Media have Irish rights to the content in question. This is different from a previous deal ESPN U.K. had for the Europa League only, prior to BT Sport’s entry into the market, where they had only U.K. and not ROI rights and it was blocked here. My recollection is that the last two years of that deal was inherited by BT Sport after they bought what remained of ESPN UK (after they lost the Premier League rights to BT) and that may have informed the change from 2015 onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Essentially, what happened was that BT’s deal was done first, and was done on the basis of “exclusive in the U.K., non-exclusive in Ireland”. So both BT and Virgin Media have Irish rights to the content in question. This is different from a previous deal ESPN U.K. had for the Europa League only, prior to BT Sport’s entry into the market, where they had only U.K. and not ROI rights and it was blocked here. My recollection is that the two years of that deal was inherited by BT Sport after they bought what remained of ESPN UK (after they lost the Premier League rights to BT) and that may have informed the change from 2015 onwards.

Thanks that makes sense. If VM do get exclusive CL/EL rights surley they would get their channels on the Sky platform?

• Administrators Posts: 53,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think the fact that Premier Sports have been really quiet / evasive about releasing subscriber numbers etc suggests it's not doing well.

I think the Pro14 is going to end up with no TV deal and back on free to air.

Eir sports will collapse. They are absolutely deluding themselves with their pricing of a channel that has almost zero worthwhile content.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

awec wrote: »
    I think the fact that Premier Sports have been really quiet / evasive about releasing subscriber numbers etc suggests it's not doing well.

Eir sports will collapse. They are absolutely deluding themselves with their pricing of a channel that has almost zero worthwhile content.

i tend to agree about premier sports and the value of rights versus subscriber numbers. Pro14 jumped at the money at the time but now with Covid and broadcasters reducing spend on secondary rights they could be in for a big hit in revenue.

Eir have no interest in running a sports channel since it was taken over by the French billionaire.

awec wrote: »

That would be the worst for the Irish consumer,

Premier League - SKY and BT
    FA Cup - BT
    Champions League - Virgin

That said I'd imagine Premier would be in a very strong position to negotiate a huge discount on the rights as it's not like the Pro14 are going to have many options.

But then the Pro14 would have to ask themselves if a obscure, relatively awkward PayTV provider is better than FTA if the money isn't significantly better. It could be better financially for them to take the slightly lower TV deal in exchange for the significantly greater reach they get with FTA.

That would be the worst for the Irish consumer,

Premier League - SKY and BT
    FA Cup - BT
    Champions League - Virgin

I think there are worse outcomes. Something like Virgin buying exclusive rights to stick behind a paywall would be terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭iseegirls

The FA Cup will be shown across BBC and ITV next season which is a very welcome change.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48388980

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Will ITV4 have Republic of Ireland rights if they show some games? - answers on a postcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Doesn't matter unless you're a Virgin Media or eir sufferer.

On the Freesat EPG and can be tuned in on Sky boxes.

Life ain't always empty.

Since when did eir carry ITV4?

• Advertisement

It doesn’t. VM does (with most sports blocked).

Either way though it’s very easy to suggest to someone who doesn’t have a satellite dish that they should put one up. Many Dublin homes who are long time VM/UPC/NTL/Cablelink/RTER customers don’t have a dish at all. It’s a big investment if it’s just to get some blocked programmes on one channel. Some dwellings have restrictive covenants that stop you putting up a dish. We have a poster over in satellite today who can’t put up a dish for a different reason to do with their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It doesn’t. VM does (with most sports blocked).

Either way though it’s very easy to suggest to someone who doesn’t have a satellite dish that they should put one up. Many Dublin homes who are long time VM/UPC/NTL/Cablelink/RTER customers don’t have a dish at all. It’s a big investment if it’s just to get some blocked programmes on one channel. Some dwellings have restrictive covenants that stop you putting up a dish. We have a poster over in satellite today who can’t put up a dish for a different reason to do with their house.

While some building may restrict the erection of a satellite dish, many people with PAY TV from Virgin Media could easily switch to Sky, and later move to FTA satellite or remain with Sky past their contract, this wouldn't be much of an investment over anything your aren't currently paying to VM.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Do Virgin block Champions league matches in Ireland that are being shown on BT sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Do Virgin block Champions league matches in Ireland that are being shown on BT sports.

Depends on your viewpoint - VM does not provide carriage of the BT Sports channels on their network in Ireland.

Even with Pro14 rights I can't see how Eir Sport can survive, the majority of its programming is now labelled 'Gold ' which historically does not get good.ratings (Sky Sports Gold / Espn Classic).

No mention of eir Sport in the League of Ireland’s new TV rights deals announcement, though I’m not sure if that actually means they’ve lost the rights or only that there’ll be a separate announcement at some stage.

https://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai-announces-new-broadcast-deals

Some reports today that sky have won the pro16 rights. Could mean eir have nothing in Ireland to keep the channel open. Also perhaps that's why premier could have champions leagues rights..not sure where that would leave virgin sport?

Virgin Sport will be dead if they really have lost the Champions League (which The Irish Times have reported, so it must be true...). They can use their FTA channels to fulfill the remaining twelve months or so of the international contract.

As for the Pro14, if that heads back to Sky I don’t see much of a future for eir Sport either, though they’re not quite as dependant on that one contract as Virgin are. They still have the Allianz Leagues and FA Cup 3pms + a number of other stuff mostly non exclusive. One option may be to sell up to Premier Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

that's a shame. I did enjoy the Eir coverage as dry as it was sometimes with the commentary team and studio team it was great to have every game live.

Wonder is the Sky deal UK & I or just UK and Ireland is still out there. Although I do imagine if SKY are going for the package it's all or nothing.

that's a shame. I did enjoy the Eir coverage as dry as it was sometimes with the commentary team and studio team it was great to have every game live.

Wonder is the Sky deal UK & I or just UK and Ireland is still out there. Although I do imagine if SKY are going for the package it's all or nothing.
    based on previous sky deals it will be for Uk and Irl with some fta for TG4 and or bbc wales/scotland/S4c

• Advertisement

Even if it's literally total repeats I can see Virgin Media Sports still operating for the foreseeable future. Less sure about Eir Sport.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement