Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost RTE1 but have RTE2, Virgin 1 & TG4

Options
  • 05-02-2021 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have lost saorview reception for rte1 but have the others above.
    I did a retune but no luck.

Is this an aerial issue?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

It's most likely to be something at your own end alright. Check simple stuff first, like cables & connections near the receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Also check your signal quality/strength readings. This will show if there is any difference before and after any changes you do. A perfect picture could just be a little bit stronger signal than one which gives no picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Also check your signal quality/strength readings. This will show if there is any difference before and after any changes you do. A perfect picture could just be a little bit stronger signal than one which gives no picture.

Signal Quality is the key. Check quality readings. RTE1 (Clermont Carn C45) for me has caused issues from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I did a signal test and it seemed to be fine.
    It was a tv signal test. I don't have an actual meter.

Would the aerial on the wall have moved or could it be be a cable/part issue at the aerial connection?

I seem to be receiving one mux but not the rte1 one.

Aerials generally don't move until they fall down altogether. The fact that you refer to it as 'on the wall' would lead me to believe that it's one of those combined aerial/dish installs, that tend to compromise aerial location for installer convenience &/or cost. It probably never delivered a great signal & something small could have pushed it to the point where mux 2 is now not receivable.

Water getting in is something to look for too; could be evident at the plug on the aerial cable, or you might notice an open or missing cap on the aerial connection box.

• Advertisement

I am thinking it could be a water ingress issue rather than wind movement as we had a very wet month of January.

It might be time to call out an installer.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,347 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have an indoor aerial in the bedroom and can pick up Saorview from Three Rock but I often lose RTE1. I'm pretty sure it's because the RTE1 mux is just ouside the optimal frequency range for the aerial and atmospheric conditions because on good days I get a perfect HD picture on RTE1, other days nothing. Lots of other posters on different threads have reported similar issues when they have marginal reception and/or were using an indoor aerial.

Problem turned out to be the cable connector going into the tv. The installer was able to check the signal on the mux channels on the tv settings and Rte1 was way down in signal quality. The aerial outside was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

coylemj wrote: »
    I have an indoor aerial in the bedroom and can pick up Saorview from Three Rock but I often lose RTE1. I'm pretty sure it's because the RTE1 mux is just ouside the optimal frequency range for the aerial and atmospheric conditions because on good days I get a perfect HD picture on RTE1, other days nothing. Lots of other posters on different threads have reported similar issues when they have marginal reception and/or were using an indoor aerial.

Are all indoor aerials not wideband?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,347 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Are all indoor aerials not wideband?

You'd expect so but what else could be causing my aerial to fail to pick up the RTE1 mux from Three Rock on some days and give me a perfect HD picture on others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You'd expect so but what else could be causing my aerial to fail to pick up the RTE1 mux from Three Rock on some days and give me a perfect HD picture on others?

I tried out saorview using a rabbits ears and as you say RTE1 was always tricky, I'm on mount Leinster.

Why do you specifically refer to a HD picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Unlike the analogue days when a weak signal gradually faded away into snow, a digital signal is all or nothing. It's quit possible to have a 'perfect picture' on one mux which is just above the threshold and none on the other which is just below. This sometimes referred to as 'the digital cliff'.

Advertisement