Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is the burning passion for having an open fire?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Bobblehats wrote: »
    b6d944e74db85386f21a12289060f81e.jpg

What's the name of that film....you know the one where the two boys strip off and start wrestling naked in front of an open fire for ages.

.......oh yeah....Women in Love....that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

do you know when the world will go to **** - until it does will ye not use Gas or oil to heat your rads and water seeing as they are like readily available?

there are cleaner alternatives out there.

many people wash their clothes in a washing machine these days, they no longer go down to the river with a stone and washboard because the washing machine is cleaner, more modern, less hassle and does a good job .
    sure if the electric goes off and you can no longer use the washing machine you will have to wash your clothes in the sink .. but until that time comes ...

I can’t use gas or oil, as my heating is an air to water system, have it running now in fact. Don’t light the fire all the time, I drive an electric car, collect solar power, recycle anything that can be recycled, I do more than most, and will continue to do so.

I can understand the issue with burning coal, and agree it needs to be curtailed.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

He said it himself, too. he was being interviewed by Parkinson, I think, about the film and said that he "encouraged" himself, before stepping in front of the camera. It wasnt the kind of closed set that happens now and quite a few of the crew were there, so he felt the need to "stiffen" his resolve.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    have you heard the story from director Ken Russell surrounding that scene ?

apparently oliver reed was upset about not measuring up to his wrestling partner and insisted on warming up beforehand ?

There was clever use of an elastic band as well.

Good old Ollie...they don't make men like him anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

As someone said to me once, and it stuck, a good fire is like company.

There is something animate about a fire, something close to being "alive", the crackle and movement and shifting glow.

Really love a nice fire :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Changed ours over to stoves a few years back , mostly wood burning and it has saved a fortune on fuel.
    Still wouldn’t be without a fireplace I love a fire on in winter. I don’t particularly like central heating on all the time an hour in the morning and an hour before kids go to bed is enough for me.
    Light the stove in sitting room get it nice and hot and turn it down and we hardly ever have to put on a second load of logs on.
    Friend purchased a house lately with no fireplaces and only central heating or a heat recovery system and had no heat for nearly a full day last week because of a power cut.. everything in his new house is nearly electric a part from a small solar panel that heats a bit of water and he isn’t even impressed with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    apparently oliver reed was upset about not measuring up to his wrestling partner and insisted on warming up beforehand ?
    Alan Bates. Big hulking guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

what is the burning passion for having an open fire?

Cause there whopper in the winter, great way to banish SAD to the coal shed.

Fire on, shoes off,feet up.

Fire it's what separates us from the animals!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

is_that_so wrote: »
    So what exactly does that mean in real life, like? It's the burning down of houses by fires that kills people.

Particulate matter is the carcinogenic stuff that gets into your blood stream via your lungs, causes respiratory problems, heart issues, cancer etc.

Then you have NOx emissions. Basically that and PM is what makes diesel cars bad for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,730 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

pablo128 wrote: »
    It'll die quick enough if you have a power outage.

not many power-cuts to be honest these days. - a calor super-sir in the garage would be a good standby for those times tho if one were really paranoid about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Gas Central Heating only, except for the week either side of Christmas Day. For those 2 weeks we light an open coal/log/briquette fire for the Winter/Christmas/ Holiday atmosphere. When the rest of you feckers stop flying off on foreign holidays every year generating gigatonnes of CO2 emissions, I'll stop burning a few logs and a few lumps of coal for the week either side of Christmas Day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

until the ESB get their **** together they cant ban fires we had a 4 hour power cut the other day for no explained reason so without the fire we would have frozen and not been able to have a cup of tea so sort out the bad service before you ban the fire. Also it it all goes tits up a fire is a necessity for heat and cooking in the worst apocalypse scenario

Didn't burn solid fuel for years.

Cost a fortune in oil. Had one of those electric inserts that gave off no heat and cost a.bloody fortune.

Got the stove in...bought briquettes. Reduced oil bill by over 60% and electric bill was reduced as well.

Sitting room is nice and toasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Once you click this, theres no going back...

Neames wrote: »
    There was clever use of an elastic band as well.

Good old Ollie...they don't make men like him anymore.

the amount of drinking yer man done when he was alive I wouldnt be surprised if he had brewers droop when he was recording the part ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Beau Bennett

Would only buy a house with an open fire or wood stove possibility. Plus I will have a hanging fire pit for the garden.

It's better than TV. Sit there with a book a whisky and a pipe.

beejee wrote: »
    As someone said to me once, and it stuck, a good fire is like company.

There is something animate about a fire, something close to being "alive", the crackle and movement and shifting glow.

Really love a nice fire :)

there's something caveman like about a good fire :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just finished a new build and getting the stove fitted next week. IMO, a house is not complete without a fire/stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

there's something caveman like about a good fire :D

Oh you bet. A very primal thing, no doubt hard-wired from our collective past.

It's light and warmth and comfort, also, a perfect setting for a good yarn. Especially out in the woods camping, being gathered round the small place of safety, pitch black unknown at your back as the shadows move around :p

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Have 2 stoves here, converted a back boiler open fire to an insert back boiler stove. Saved a lot of oil, have my own timber. During a few storms there was no power for a few days. At least we didn't go cold with the stoves. I also love sitting beside the stove. As one previous poster said, it's like you have company :)

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    Gas Central Heating only, except for the week either side of Christmas Day. For those 2 weeks we light an open coal/log/briquette fire for the Winter/Christmas/ Holiday atmosphere. When the rest of you feckers stop flying off on foreign holidays every year generating gigatonnes of CO2 emissions, I'll stop burning a few logs and a few lumps of coal for the week either side of Christmas Day.

hmm.. when i go out of my front door in the winter I get choked by, and cough and splutter my guts up from the nearby toxic fumes coming out of people homes chimneys TBH ..
    haven't really noticed the plane fumes up in the sky to be honest ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Back when I was a nipper we used to get the heel of batch bread stuck on a long fork, toasting over a red hot fire. Hands burning from heat of fire...

Nothing like batch bread off a fire. Pain in the arse when it falls off fork though into fire.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Sometimes its hard for those who have to understand there are people out there who have not.

There are many reasons why people would be defensive of an open fire and one of the primary reasons especially for older generations with older houses is that it keeps the place warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It keeps you warm on cold nights

until the ESB get their **** together they cant ban fires we had a 4 hour power cut the other day for no explained reason so without the fire we would have frozen and not been able to have a cup of tea so sort out the bad service before you ban the fire. Also it it all goes tits up a fire is a necessity for heat and cooking in the worst apocalypse scenario

if you have an coal open fire with a back boiler you cant run it without electric too can ye? -- you need pump running don't ye to circulate the water , or is it done by gravity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

not many power-cuts to be honest these days. - a calor super-sir in the garage would be a good standby for those times tho if one were really paranoid about it

Not many power cuts at the moment but as demand surges and the pressure is applied that could change

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

paw patrol wrote: »
    I love my open fire and my firepit out the back.

That fella is a gobsh1te he is looking at some tiny aspect and ignoring the major causes of pollution.
    His theory is just pissing in the wind , I'd suspect him to be a paid industry shill with horsesh1t like that

The major cause of air pollution is particulate matter from solid fuel burning. Wood and peat being the worst offenders.

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Once you click this, theres no going back...

cannot deny that does look lovely ...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Wouldn’t live in a house without an open fire

Gas heating is just heat no soul

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

The major cause of air pollution is particulate matter from solid fuel burning. Wood and peat being the worst offenders.

Have you anything to back that claim up?

Advertisement