Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 205: Alvarez v McGregor (Event Discussion) - FAQ's in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Decision
    Mellor wrote: »
    I'm leaning towards Conor by TKO in the second as a likely outcome.

But I also placed a bet on Conor by Guillotine. A value bet, rather than likely outcome.
    There's method to my madness.

How do you see that going down? From the clinch or from top control?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

McGregor via Submission
    Rashad and Kennedy both getting their show money. There will be no replacement fight. I was looking forward to seeing Kennedy back in the octagon but it's good that both guys got paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Decision

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Alvarez via Submission
    Roddy setting traps for Edward, he doesn't posses a jab so that 1 less thing to worry about, Roddy is 10 times the coach Alvarez has game planning anyways with REAL fighting experience not some padman ex army novice,

If Diaz is getting dropped 3 times and his legs buckling while fresh I really think its in Eddies best interest to be slept instead of rounds of being butchered with his face rearranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Decision
    How do you see that going down? From the clinch or from top control?

Off his back, likely against the cage. The guillotine will be there (as will the arching elbow finish which is a real threat). Conor won't purposely go to the ground. But if the bell is approaching it might be a no-lose attack, or if Eddie actually completes the takedown.

The factors that cinched it for me were;

In all the SBG rolling videos I've seen, the guillotine is something that features a lot. I've seen John go for it verses Gunni, where Gunni did that back bridge escape. Conor used the same escape verses Mendes on instinct, so he's probably quite familiar.

Prior to the Aldo fight, John said Conor "has a fantastic guillotine off his back". Which is where Eddie wants to put him.

In the last Jiu Jitsu match we've seen him he. He went for a Guillotine just after the 5min mark. It actually cost him the match, but the fact that he went for it rather than looking for the back suggests to me it's a preferred sub.

And he's been training/rolling with Dilion Danis, who won NoGi Pan Absolute division by submitting both opponents with guillotines - obviously he picked up a thing or two from the best guillotiner in the world, Marcelo.

If it ever gonna happen, this is it. John, Dillion, Marcelo. All the guillotines are lining up. It's a long shot obviously, but the odds reflect that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

So erm lads....is everyone still going this morning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

McGregor via Decision
    I would too, and not just because it nets me a payout

Did you pick a round?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I can't predict this fight at all, to be honest. The only thing I'm willing to go on is that I don't believe it'll go to a decision. Aside from that, I'm all guesses.

I am a little surprised that the overwhelming general consensus, and I don't mean specifically on boards, is that McGregor will win by TKO in the first few rounds.

Opinions were fairly split before the scheduled RDA - Conor fight, for example, and Alvarez then took him out in fairly spectacular fashion. He's an extremely experienced, talented and well rounded fighter. If McGregor does manage to win, it'll be an impressive feat. Even without taking into account the two belts.

McGregor via Decision

Did you pick a round?
    Nope, any one will do me

• Advertisement

McGregor via Decision
    Off his back, likely against the cage. The guillotine will be there (as will the arching elbow finish which is a real threat). Conor won't purposely go to the ground. But if the bell is approaching it might be a no-lose attack, or if Eddie actually completes the takedown.

The factors that cinched it for me were;

In all the SBG rolling videos I've seen, the guillotine is something that features a lot. I've seen John go for it verses Gunni, where Gunni did that back bridge escape. Conor used the same escape verses Mendes on instinct, so he's probably quite familiar.

Prior to the Aldo fight, John said Conor "has a fantastic guillotine off his back". Which is where Eddie wants to put him.

In the last Jiu Jitsu match we've seen him he. He went for a Guillotine just after the 5min mark. It actually cost him the match, but the fact that he went for it rather than looking for the back suggests to me it's a preferred sub.

And he's been training/rolling with Dilion Danis, who won NoGi Pan Absolute division by submitting both opponents with guillotines - obviously he picked up a thing or two from the best guillotiner in the world, Marcelo.

If it ever gonna happen, this is it. John, Dillion, Marcelo. All the guillotines are lining up. It's a long shot obviously, but the odds reflect that.
    Interesting. More interesting because something Dillon said in an obscure interview post-202 stuck out to me. I think it was with Submission Radio but might have been somewhere else. He said in a roundabout way that he was certain Conor could catch Nate (off his back). Now that might have been hinting at anything but he said, quote, "there's a few techniques Conor is amazing at".

Whether that was a throwaway comment or whether Conor has a particularly top level guillotine, i don't know. But still interesting. More interesting, if you pay attention to the footage coming out from all sources is Conor has been drilling that Buchinger level-change A LOT. It might be misdirection. But i'm gonna throw out a wild guess and say it's very realistic he level changes and shoots on an incoming Eddie trying to come off the fence like Buchinger.

McGregor via Decision
    Jaysus. Wonderboy doing the open workouts with his dad, who looks in UNREAL shape. I've no clue how old he is, must be in his 50's and he's like a ninja himself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

Whether that was a throwaway comment or whether Conor has a particularly top level guillotine, i don't know. But still interesting. More interesting, if you pay attention to the footage coming out from all sources is Conor has been drilling that Buchinger level-change A LOT. It might be misdirection. But i'm gonna throw out a wild guess and say it's very realistic he level changes and shoots on an incoming Eddie trying to come off the fence like Buchinger.

What does this "level change" mean.?

McGregor via Decision
    Head Wreck wrote: »

Roughly what it sounds like!

Imagine you stand up straight - that's one level.

Then imagine you go to try grab someone by the legs - you change the level of your body.

It's maybe more complicated but in laymans terms it's basically just a quick adjustment of the level of your body to shoot for a takedown.

Level changes are also important in striking. Conor does some nice striking from level changes. I.e. Faint as if you're going to try grab the legs, but instead deliver a straight left punch or high left kick.

It keeps other fighters guessing. Tyron Woodley uses level-change faints a lot. He ducks down as if to shoot for a takedown and then KABOOM he throws that right hand and flattens people with a punch.

Imagine you stand up straight - that's one level.

Then imagine you go to try grab someone by the legs - you change the level of your body.

Ah I see. I thought it was something more complex than that haha.

McGregor nearly lost his balance from the spinning kick, just caught his balance in time as bushinger was rushing in.

McGregor via Decision

McGregor nearly lost his balance from the spinning kick, just caught his balance in time as bushinger was rushing in.

To level change from a spinning kick into a double-leg or single-leg takedown is very difficult to do. It takes amazing spatial awareness and balance.

That fight is still a lot of peoples favourite fight he's been in. He just looked BEAST mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

Would anybody have any idea where to watch the Mcgregor fight in Amsterdam? Tried emailing the hotel but no response

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

McGregor via Decision
    The 209 have arrived. Nate's in New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

McGregor via Decision
    The 209 have arrived. Nate's in New York.

Have the Diaz bothers given any predictions.

McGregor via Decision
    Have the Diaz bothers given any predictions.

Nate predicted he'd beat both Conor and Eddie if that counts :pac:

Really saddens me how they're handling Chris Weidman this week. Wheeling him out to the face-off today. He should be with the top 3 title fights at the Presser tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

McGregor via Decision
    Nate predicted he'd beat both Conor and Eddie if that counts :pac:

Really saddens me how they're handling Chris Weidman this week. Wheeling him out to the face-off today. He should be with the top 3 title fights at the Presser tomorrow.

Where did u see this?

McGregor via Decision
    Junior D wrote: »
    Would anybody have any idea where to watch the Mcgregor fight in Amsterdam? Tried emailing the hotel but no response

Hey man. Did some digging for you.

SatelliteSportsCafe in Amsterdam is showing the entire card.

Catch = it's 15 euro a ticket. However you get 2 free pints of Heineken for the 15 quid.

So really it's a fiver in.

Edit:

Details: Address: Leidseplein 11, 1017 PS Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Phone: +31 20 427 2529

Alvarez via Submission
    Can see the oblique kick coming back into his game plan in this fight, Also worth noting Eddie does like switching to southpaw sometimes so the leg kicks will come back instantly if he does.

McGregor via Decision
    Gamebred wrote: »
    Can see the oblique kick coming back into his game plan in this fight, Also worth noting Eddie does like switching to southpaw sometimes so the leg kicks will come back instantly if he does.

Roddy was switching stances in the open workouts if anybody was paying attention. Not saying that means anything, per se, but it lends weight to your point.

Oblique kicks and teeps will form a big part of the gameplan. The most noteworthy thing Conor said in the past few months was when he said "one of those elbows, one of those shots, will dig into the sweet spot at the temple and that'll be all she wrote".

I find that noteworthy because he tends to pick out shots in advance he intends to employ and he used the elbow repeatedly in the 4th round against Diaz when he was expecting straight lefts. I think we'll see many elbows thrown in attack and defence.

I find that noteworthy because he tends to pick out shots in advance he intends to employ and he used the elbow repeatedly in the 4th round against Diaz when he was expecting straight lefts. I think we'll see many elbows thrown in attack and defence.

I noticed he threw a nice little spinning elbow at Roddy in the workouts earlier too, right twards the beard.I was thinking to myself, if that connects it breaks bones

Alvarez via Submission
    Yeah the kicking game although risky will surely be deployed,the round kick to the body Pettis has a lethal one and hurt Eddie with it can see Conor busting his gas tank with them.

McGregor via Decision
    Gamebred wrote: »
    Yeah the kicking game although risky will surely be deployed,the round kick to the body Pettis has a lethal one and hurt Eddie with it can see Conor busting his gas tank with them.

I had to laugh....Dan Hooker in the videos i linked of his breakdown, he emphasised 3 techniques. The front kick/teep, the whipping round-kick and the straight left to the body.

Within the space of 20 seconds, Conor threw all 3 at Roddy.

Mystic Dan! Incidentally i think both Dan and Kai Kara France have big futures.

McGregor via Decision

He overbalanced forward after throwing the kick, he caught himself before Buchinger rushed in, and ducked under him for the takedown - that duck is the level change

DfwhOk.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Anyone see Eddie bull rushing him up against the cage from the start keep him there wear him out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

McGregor via Decision
    dave1982 wrote: »
    Anyone see Eddie bull rushing him up against the cage from the start keep him there wear him out?

and getting caught with a peach of a right, knocking him right out, yeah, i see that happening

Advertisement