Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online identification ????

Options
  • 16-11-2010 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Was just wondering if it was normal to be asked for identification in the form of a utility bill, when trying to finalize a transaction using your own credit card online.:confused:

Mods; Please move to appropriate forum if needs be.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Was just wondering if it was normal to be asked for identification in the form of a utility bill, when trying to finalize a transaction using your own credit card online.:confused:

Mods; Please move to appropriate forum if needs be.

Nope and wrong forum - come on how is this a bargain alert?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Not a BA, more suited here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Yes it's standard procedure on some sites to verify identity by requesting utility bills and possibly scanned copies of the card to prove possession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Thats a new one to me.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

We've had several occasions were we needed to ask for additional proof of id. Utility bills and scans of the card etc would be requested in some cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

We've had several occasions were we needed to ask for additional proof of id. Utility bills and scans of the card etc would be requested in some cases.

In what kind of cases would this kind of action be required ?
    I have not got a credit problem on my card or anything of that nature.:confused:

Well for us it happens when we can't verify the identity of the card holder and if we're concerned about the transaction. This would be from a stolen card point of view not a credit problem (once your bank has accepted the transaction the retailer knows there are funds to cover it)

We have quite a large checklist for verifying new account holders / orders and the bottom of that list as a last resort is to request utility bills etc.

Well it cant be a bad thing anyway. I usually have to put a password in when using the credit card directly, but not always, it must depend on the size of transaction, but nearly all are paypal now anyway for my uses.

Well for us it happens when we can't verify the identity of the card holder and if we're concerned about the transaction. This would be from a stolen card point of view not a credit problem (once your bank has accepted the transaction the retailer knows there are funds to cover it)

We have quite a large checklist for verifying new account holders / orders and the bottom of that list as a last resort is to request utility bills etc.

Would you have seen many that were fraudulently using cards?

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Would you have seen many that were fraudulently using cards?

Unfortunately yes. As of now about 5% of all transactions attempted on our site our fraudulent. It's why we stopped selling consoles as 95% of all console sales were using stolen cards. We got stung quite badly in our first year with stolen cards. :(

Now we have to do a lot of work when verifying a new customer. I think most people will be very surprised. This can be any or all of ...

Checking how they found our site.
    Browsing history within the site.
    What they ordered.
    Where it's going to.
    What postal method was chosen
    The shipping address - is it on any watch lists.
    Our banks fraud screening report.
    The email address used.
    Is there a phone book entry for that name at that address.
    Is the customer registered to vote.

We score each transaction on the above criteria and may reject the order completely (I won't for obvious reasons go into specifics on our exact scoring / policies) but after that if we're still unsure we will request additional proof including utility bills and scans of the card itself.

We've no doubt that at times we do turn away legitimate orders or by asking for extra ID have legitimate customers decide to cancel the order but we are firmly in the better be safe than sorry bracket.

• Advertisement

That is a high percentage really, i would`t of thought that. Better safe than sorry is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

5% is a very high percentage. We're well below 1%. Have you implemented 3D secure on your site?

The 5% includes those transactions rejected by the processors for failing the usual security checks. Our problem is that laser cards have no verificaton whatsoever and we get quite a few attempts on Laser cards. With paypal again we don't have the opportunity to use 3D secure directly. The trade off for accepting Laser and Paypal is unfortunately a higher risk of fraud.

Advertisement